How to get locals + distant market locals...

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Hi All,
Anyway to get east and west coast locals as well cbs HD? Reason I ask is because sometimes I like to watch programs at the later times:) I currently pay for locals (Detroit) but want to get the others.

Thanks,
J.

U Probably won't get 'em

If you can get your locals that are "assigned" to you - based on you exact physical address - you most likely will not get you waivers approved. Your local networks have "jurisdiction" over you as far as if you are gonna get networks, it would be the ones assigned to you. To get distants; They have to agree and they mainly only do that if you are not able to get those locals assigned to you. Now Superstations are a different story and you can get WB & UPN out of a few different cities (NY, LA, Denver, Atlanta) with no waivers, but not ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX.

Go to a travel trailer junk yard and buy a title for a junk trailer. Go register it at the local state you live in. Then call dish and request a RV waiver. This is if you really need the other distant feeds.

Waivers are really hard to get from your local markets and with the SAT law you can not just get them any more.

uWILLknow said:
If you can get your locals that are "assigned" to you - based on you exact physical address - you most likely will not get you waivers approved.
Depends, some locals will grant them. I managed to get 3 of 4 to agree. You don't lose anything for trying.

Coming from the opposite direction...

I've been grandfathered into distants and currently subscribe to New York distants (I live in the LA DMA). I used to have both but I had to make a choice between locals or distants earlier this year - and I opted to keep distants. Any suggestions on how to get LA locals and keep my distants? Waivers don't apply in this case do they?

don't every make a change to your locals. once you switch you won't get them back. the dish csr have been known to mess things up and you can't get them back once they are turned off. don't even ask dish about locals. leave it be and pick up your true locals with an antenna.

korsjs said:
don't every make a change to your locals. once you switch you won't get them back. the dish csr have been known to mess things up and you can't get them back once they are turned off. don't even ask dish about locals. leave it be and pick up your true locals with an antenna.

Thanks korsjs - OTA is impossible (too many mountains between me and the transmitters) so I get my locals through basic lifeline cable (Comcast). It would just be a little cheaper and more convenient if they both (locals and distants) came from Dish. That said, I'll heed your advice (I've read it many times before in these pages) unless someone can offer a sure-fire, risk free alternative.

i am not too familiar with the rules anymore since they changed them a few months ago. i have read by a few that if you lose them, even if it is not your fault, you can't get them back.

korsjs said:
don't every make a change to your locals. once you switch you won't get them back. .

Well i guess you meant Distant locals because they have to give your locals to you even if you move from one city to another.

BigFella said:
Thanks korsjs - OTA is impossible (too many mountains between me and the transmitters) so I get my locals through basic lifeline cable (Comcast). It would just be a little cheaper and more convenient if they both (locals and distants) came from Dish. That said, I'll heed your advice (I've read it many times before in these pages) unless someone can offer a sure-fire, risk free alternative.

If you are going to try to get both distant and local networks I would do it on-line. No errors form CSR this way.

In some ways I wish I could get CBS HD. Overall I can't complain much and they follow the schedule almost perfectly for the network shows except "The Late Late Show" which really pisses me off since they put it at 1 and re-air "Access Hollywood" and play "Inside Edition". ABC also delays Jimmy Kimmel.

I also have Distant Market Locals grandfathered (NY & LA), and gave up San Francisco locals. Is it possible to get a 2nd Dish account at my address so I could get San Fran locals? It would seem the only extra cost, compared to having everything on one account, would be a $5 no package fee on one of the accounts. Would it work better to use my wife's name & SS on the 2nd account? (Same telephone # though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts