How to get Mpeg4 and is it worth it.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
We all agree that the receiver is capable of MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 right out of the box without any boards or tuners. We understand that the receiver never was capable of DVB S2 reception.

You will receive channels that are MPEG 4, but will not receive the majority of MPEG 4 channels as they are in the DVB S2 format.

Maybe an electronics wizard modified this to be a special receiver that is capable of receiving channels that no one else has been able to receive. If that is the case, you should find that lost receipt so you can talk to the creator of this Frankenstein for support..

I thought Mpeg 4 and dvb s2 are the same thing.I think you guys are mixed up I know this receiver gets Mpeg4 right out of the box that's what I'm telling you it does receive them.But yesterday it froze on one of the mpeg4 channels and I don't know why and had to pull the plug to reset it.I was lucky that the guy who sold me this receiver also gave me a free usb stick to back up the memory so I didn't have to start scanning again from scratch.

I thought Mpeg 4 and dvb s2 are the same thing.
nope. There are channels that can be MPEG4 but DVB. 2 examples are Punch TV (on 95W KU) and Cubana De Television (on 97W KU). You do not need a S2 board to get those. Just receiver that can do MPEG4

I think you guys are mixed up I know this receiver gets Mpeg4 right out of the box that's what I'm telling you it does receive them.
we are not confused. A few folks have used that receiver years ago so they know what it gets and what it doesn't

But yesterday it froze on one of the mpeg4 channels and I don't know why and had to pull the plug to reset it.I was lucky that the guy who sold me this receiver also gave me a free usb stick to back up the memory so I didn't have to start scanning again from scratch.
if what you wrote in another thread was true
I just bought an fta receiver for $359 plus tax
and you really paid that much for a Sonicview 8000 he better give you a helluva lot more than a "free' usb stick. You could have bought almost 3 MicroHD's or a couple Pansat 9200's which do the same thing for that price.

Ok now I wonder if any of you know a place that sells the hard drive for this receiver.Because I preach every night right during prime time hours and I would like to use the dvr feature to record somethings during those hours.But I don't know any place who sells them.

any external hard drive works fine. Make sure it is externally powered to not blow up the receiver (seriously...it will do damage to the receiver fi you use a portable USB powered drive)

The drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and no larger than 500GB. I recall that many users had recommended the SimpleTech brand, as so many users had drive compatibility problems.

BTW, I may not know what I am talking about..... :D

...the picture quality is excellent....one of the best i have personally seen, but the lack of DVB-S2 limits its potential which is a shame....even the blind scan is very good....

if the SV8000 could do DVB-S2 and 4:2:2 i would consider it the best all around receiver out there....
Mikey got all the above right. still the best HD picture of any i have ever had and that's on 62 and 73 inch TV's. and the record timer ALWAYS works! can't say that about any other box and i've had them all(up till this year). still use it when i can. sadly the no s-2 does kill this box these days as ones everyday user box.
so Danny use it when you can and pick up one of these $125-150 newer boxes to do the rest.SatelliteAV aka Brian has a nice one for sale.
good luck

The drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and no larger than 500GB. I recall that many users had recommended the SimpleTech brand, as so many users had drive compatibility problems.

BTW, I may not know what I am talking about..... :D

Page 70 of 73 in the MicroHD manual states
NTFS format type
provides the most flexibility and
compatibility with the microHD. We
recommend formatting to the NTFS
format.

Which is correct? (or are you talking about the SV8000?)

BTW, my MicroHD shipped today, thanks!

you're looking at 2 different receivers.
The OP has a Sonciview 8000 which Brian was commenting on

The manual you posted is for the Micro which is in a different league ;)

gpflepsen said:
Page 70 of 73 in the manual states

Which is correct?

BTW, my MicroHD shipped today, thanks!

You are mixing the hard drive recommendation for this receiver with that of the microHD. Both are correct for the respective STB.

Edit: Iceberg beat me to the response... :D

I figured it out right after I posted, and edited my original. Thanks for the quick responses!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)