How To Get Other Local Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TexasRaider

Aug 17, 2008
Hi,
I'm new to this board and I am trying to find some info.

I live in Central Texas, but have been trying to find out if there is a way to get the local channels for the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area either instead of my assigned local channels or even in addition to them.
I don't mind paying extra, but when I call DTV about it I always get some doofus technician that doesn't even seem to know his own policy.

I am not trying to hack anything or do anything explictly illegal, I just want to be able to view those channels.
Thanks.

PS - Sorry if this topic was already covered.

Last edited:

msajeff

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 1, 2006
Illinois
The short answer is No. The local feeds with the exception of NYC and LA are on spot beams. I would tend to think you are not even close to being able to pick up the Miami spot beam. Now if you're looking for HD locals, you should be within the Dallas spot beam. Do a search for "moving".

Burnerbyz

Aug 4, 2008
Similar question here:

Is it possible to receive an HD signal from a neighboring market if your own market is not broadcast in HD?

I've been told over the phone that something like this is illegal - Any of you folks in non-HD local land made any progress on this?

Hookem99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 18, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Similar question here:

Is it possible to receive an HD signal from a neighboring market if your own market is not broadcast in HD?

I've been told over the phone that something like this is illegal - Any of you folks in non-HD local land made any progress on this?

I live near Austin, and have played around with OTA HD signals a little. I have tried getting Waco and San Antonio locals OTA. With Waco, I am not in the line of sight so I cant get them, without looseing my Austin locals. With S.A., I am in the line of sight, but im just over 95 miles from the transmitter. When my OTA channel scan is complete, I show a few S.A. channels, but have never been able to get a picture. So I think I am just to far for the digital signal.

jakethesnake1084

Aug 16, 2008
How To Get Other Local Channel's

i am a fomrer comcast customer who live's in south jersey and was able to get both new york and philadelphia channels. now i only get new york channels!!! is there a way other than setting up an antenna or getting basic cable to get philadelphia local channels also besides the local new york channels ... i would think if comcast can do it why not directv?

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
Thank the NAB and Congress for this mess. I'm in the same boat with NY and Hartford.

Suggest looking up "moving" :)

dishrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Springfield, IL
Thank the NAB and Congress for this mess. I'm in the same boat with NY and Hartford.

Suggest looking up "moving" :)

But that will still ONLY get him ONE local market...

OP - only way to get multiple local markets (w/out) cable is to use OTA, or start up a totally separate DBS account & move it to the "other" market. (not too practical for most people...)

dssturbed

Aug 18, 2008
Not to sure about the spot beam thing because I have a brother in Miami. We both have DirecTV. We both have 3 receivers except that he has one of my receivers and I have one of his. So i get to see Miami locals and he gets to see Boston locals. We have done this for years with no problems. No hack. We're paying for our own accounts with the same programming package.

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2004
Chicago
Not to sure about the spot beam thing because I have a brother in Miami. We both have DirecTV. We both have 3 receivers except that he has one of my receivers and I have one of his. So i get to see Miami locals and he gets to see Boston locals. We have done this for years with no problems. No hack. We're paying for our own accounts with the same programming package.

You're able to get Miami locals in Boston?

mark40511

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 2, 2006
Lexington KY
You're able to get Miami locals in Boston??????????.......and that leads me to another question regarding NY locals not being spotbeamed....That is ABC NBC CBS FOX.......Right? So why would the CW not be included in that?

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
No, he can't get Miami locals in Boston. He is pulling your chain.

Techfizzle

Banned
Apr 18, 2008
No, he can't get Miami locals in Boston. He is pulling your chain.

No chains are being pulled, LOS is not an issue, in fact, if you have the dish pointed well, you can more then likely get 60% of the spotbeams. (on a clear day) You should do good since you want the florida area locals. See directv doesnt want you to have them, because there are some people that have more money the brains, and will call up and say" Hey, this aint my lo-cal nooz"
or they my get some angry person calling and whine" the signal is terible!, im never subbing to you again" So call them up and kindly ask them to switch and tell them you understand that the signal isnt going to be all the great.

Techfizzle

Banned
Apr 18, 2008
attachment.php

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
No chains are being pulled, LOS is not an issue, in fact, if you have the dish pointed well, you can more then likely get 60% of the spotbeams. (on a clear day) You should do good since you want the florida area locals. See directv doesnt want you to have them, because there are some people that have more money the brains, and will call up and say" Hey, this aint my lo-cal nooz"
or they my get some angry person calling and whine" the signal is terible!, im never subbing to you again" So call them up and kindly ask them to switch and tell them you understand that the signal isnt going to be all the great.

You are kidding, aren't you?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)