how to get out of contract

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neynme

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I have about a year left on my contract, is there anyway I can get out of the contract without getting gettng penalized.

um lets see

move to canada, puerto rico, cuba or another place that Direct cannot legally sell to..
die

um, I think that is it....I don't even know if they allow the old "apartment" reason.
(I'm being sarcastic...havent had DIrecTV since they bought Primestar so I don't know.)

I heard if you send all equipment back then it would be ok. am i correct?

They will tell you that if you send the equipment back there will be no charge. Get that put on your account details and get the name and number of the CSR that told you this. You will then get a bill for the prorated termination fee. After that you will need to fight with D* to get the fee taken off.

i did actually get out of two contracts. the first one was my initial hd contract they terminated because i had nothing but a nightmare from the moment the tech switched dishes and receivers.

the second one was medically related.

i wouldn't go broadcasting this.....but i'm mentioning because under some circumstances, they apparently will work with you.

They will tell you that if you send the equipment back there will be no charge. Get that put on your account details and get the name and number of the CSR that told you this. You will then get a bill for the prorated termination fee. After that you will need to fight with D* to get the fee taken off.
Your right!!

What do you need i will need to fight with them? If they told me i can cancel with sending back my equipment, why would i need to fight them.

By all equipment, does it mean i need to send back my dish too?

What do you need i will need to fight with them? If they told me i can cancel with sending back my equipment, why would i need to fight them.

You will just need to send back any leased receivers. The dish was not a requirement to send back. This is what I had to do when I canceled D*. It took about 2 weeks to finally get the charges removed.

If you do want out of the contract you need to prepare prepare for the worse. You may have to pay the termination fee no matter what.

who is best to call for this situation? Customer service or retention? Do you guys have retention's #?

who is best to call for this situation? Customer service or retention? Do you guys have retention's #?

Retention doesn't have a direct line number anymore. You have to go through Customer Service first.

As far as getting out of your contract, good luck. I guess it's going to depend upon your reason for wanting to break the contract, how long you've been a customer, your customer rating, what equipment you have, and which CSR you get.

It's pretty much up to D* on whether or not they are going to charge you a termination fee which is a different fee than the fee associated with failing to return your equipment.

The fee for failing to complete your programming commitment is prorated up to $150 for standard receivers, and prorated up to $300 for advanced receivers. The fee for failing to return your equipment is $55 for each standard receiver, $200 for each DVR, $240 for each HD receiver, and $470 for each HD/DVR.

If you signed up March 1 2006 or later you are leasing the equipment from Directv. They own the equipment and you have to send it back or they will bill you for the stolen equipment. If you are returning the receivers what would you need the dish for?:)

If you do want out of the contract you need to prepare prepare for the worse. You may have to pay the termination fee no matter what.

when they let me out of contract number one, i still had a second contract for a tivo upgrade i had done a few months prior.

but they did not charge me a termination fee releasing me from the second contract because i had a medical reason and they told me they wouldn't play hardball because they understood my situation.

when i reactivated my account in february, i had no trouble at all.

They should let you send the equipment back. At least they used to do this a couple years ago.

I know this is another dumb excuse to get out of a contract. My situation is that I have a HD package (Voom) and no local HDs. I recently contacted E* and was told they have no clue when WPB will be up and running. I can't say for sure but when I signed up with E* WPB HD locals were supposed to be part of the so called 50 Cities by the end of 2006. We know how well that turned out to be. The only thing that I have going now is ... only 6 more months to go and I will be done.

I only had 8 months left and it was a lease receiver that was in contract so they didn't let me out. I just cancel anyways and paided the 12.50/month that i wasn't using.

I'm waiting the welcome back letter from D*. I usually get one every 3 months. I was told to wait at least a year before switching back. I was told by a D* CSR that after a year I would be treated like a new costumer and and get all the benefits. I have another month to wait.

I don't mean to come across as a jerk here, but the fine print on the contract you signed and agreed to called for an early termination fee if you cancelled D* prior to the end of the contract term you agreed to, which is normally 2 years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts