How to get out of my Dish Contract?

sonic

Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
After being a HD Dish customer for about 3 months now. The more and more I'm reading about Direct* being better, I want to switch to that. Especially, having NFL sunday ticket for free and NFL network!!? So I guess my question is, Do i have a contract with Dish, I remember seeing commercials saying no contract, but I recall having one. Also, How would I get out of my contract if I did? I currently have dish calling me about the bill I paid about a month ago, and I'm wondering if I want to fix the confusion. Can anyone give me any advise on what to say if anything? Any drawbacks? Thanks in advance.

Bob- Chicago Bears
The Injury to Grossman hurt

Depends on the promotion you signed up on. DHA Digital Home Advantage was Dish's answer to cable but most likely you signed up under Free Dish so you are indeed under at least a 1 year contract. $240 Cancellation Fee. good luck. j

1. Many Dish customers have one or two year commitments, but many do not. If you don't remember what your obligation is, just call Dish, tell them you want to cancel, and find out what they tell you about what the consequence will be. At the end of the conversation, whether they tell you that you are free to leave immediately or that you will owe them $xx amount of money, you can always cancel right then, or say, "Well, I guess I will think about it for now, but not do anything at this point," and get off the phone.

2. Keep one thing in mind -- the grass is always greener on the other side. Go over to the Direct forum, and you will find lots of people complaining about Direct.

-- Albert

I say give Directv a call.

Tell them you are a Dish subscriber. Tell them You want to switch but Dish will charge you $200 if you cancel. Then say "Is there anything you could do about that?"

I'll bet you they tell you something like "We'll give you $200 worth of Free showtime" or something like that.

Good Luck

alocher said:
2. Keep one thing in mind -- the grass is always greener on the other side. Go over to the Direct forum, and you will find lots of people complaining about Direct.

-- Albert
Just not as many. ;)

Sonic - You can't always go by what a CSR tells you. They are often wrong.

Did you sign up directly through Dish, or go through a retailer. Some retailers tack on an additonal commitment, even though it may be a non-commitment DHA plan. Personally, I think that sucks. But, they do it.

Don't you have any paperwork from the original install? If it, or your bill, says Dish Home Advantage or DHA, AND you didn't use a retailer, you should be safe. Even if you did go through a retailer, and have DHA, you still might be safe. Many don't tack on their own commitment.