How to hook this thing up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lind

Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
New London, WI
I just bought a new house about 10 years old, before they built the house they lived in the garage and watched TV on a unimesh dish with a uniden sq530. The past owner told me that it still worked and had watched it up till about 2 years ago and if I wanted to hook it up the cables were ran in downstairs. So I have 4 cables running into the house from the dish but im not sure where on the box these plug in. The box works just fine and shows all their favorite channels and everything. The dish itself has some minor rust on it and doesnt turn, im not sure if its suppost to or not, looks to me like its bolted down and the actuator just turns the little thing in the middle... Never had dish before so its something new, I have directv coming on thursday but would consider canceling if this thing works and you get most channels that you would directv. Which brings me to my next question, is there sitll channels out there on this thing?

Thanks Andrew

.......I have directv coming on thursday but would consider canceling if this thing works and you get most channels that you would directv. Which brings me to my next question, is there sitll channels out there on this thing?...

There is still programming to be had on the old big dishes but you will not be able to get a lot of the channels you can get on Directv or Dish. There is not near the amount of subscription programming available that there was even 5-10 years ago.

Check out the 4DTV forum here to see what subscription options are available, and you can click on "The List!" tab on the top of each forum page to get an idea of what is available free-to-air. There is also a lot of occasional sports and news feeds to be had.

It's a great hobby for someone willing to study what's out there and maintain the equipment, but it's far from plug-and-play, and a whole different world than Directv.

We can teach you to make it work, but not between now and.. uhhh... tomorrow!

Get your DirecTV and the family will be happy.
Running a BUD is more of a hobby.
If you're not interested in fooling with it, post some pictures and we'll try to find it a good home.

Besides what's already been mentioned he's going to need a different receiver, either a Motorola 410 or 4Dtv receiver for subscribing to any programming. Of course he could just use the Uniden as a mover for an FTA setup, but not by the time span mentioned.

Wow been just about a year since I was last here!

I was thinking about digging the dish out of the ground and remembered I made a post here.

If any of you fellas are interested in it heres a couple pictures. I dont know if these things are worth anything so shoot me an offer I guess lol

2011-07-13_11-44-54_281.jpg
2012-07-05_13-51-19_335.jpg
2012-07-05_13-51-49_626.jpg
2012-07-05_13-52-00_203.jpg
2012-07-05_13-53-55_265.jpg

Thanks Andrew

Too far away, and I'm not "in the market" for a Bud (got one) but have to comment on the unique cabling install there. Overhead off the top of the BUD. Never seen that before. Or is that something else, as I also see 'ribbon' cable to the ground?
Looks to be about 8ft across(?). And C band mesh. Holes too big for Ku band use.

That is a 5.9' Unimash dish with polar mount, they work fine on C-Ku.

I stand corrected. Just that the picture must be deceiving, That mesh appears, to me, quite "airy".

I disagree with these guys who are advising you to get a subscription pizza dish. I've had cable. I've had Dish. I've had Directv. Basically you get hundreds of channels and ninety five percent of them are useless. Then you also get the wonderful monthly billing. Then you might also get jacked up hard after your promotional period ends.

Now I am a dedicated true FTA enthusiast. My viewing experience is just as good as with any subscription service I have ever had. In fact, I rarely watch a standard definition channel any more. The majority are at least 720p.

I would drive around and look for a spun aluminum solid dish of eight feet or more - either that or something fine meshed in good shape of over eight feet. Remember, ninety percent of the big dishes you see are not even connected. Half the time the owners just want you to haul them away.

I now own my equipment, which includes a Birdview solid, Manhattan receiver and G-box dish mover. I scan the arc from 55.5 west to 139 west.

As I've stated before, with a subscription, you own nothing, you learn nothing, and you pay monthly for the privilege. I bought my house ten years ago too. Get a big dish in good shape (this is, after all, posted in the C-band forum) and we will guide you in the installation and setting. Go true FTA

It is a 5.9ft dish as someone stated above, the cable running out of the top was part of their old clothes line that they ran to the old swingset (just put it through one of the holes in the mesh), I also pumped alittle grease into the zerks when i was going to use it. Has some surface rust on the back but the front is clean besides some fungus which would clean up easy enough.

As far as the channels go, im not really sure how it works or if theres still programming for the current box. But the previous owner told me that it worked and they used the box up till a couple years ago and paid nothing. When i turned the box on to make sure it worked it showed the normal channels i watch currently in their favorites... (ESPN,Outdoor, History, etc...)

So im not sure if they are grandfathered into anything or the people who installed it before them bought a lifetime member ship?

I would be somewhat interested if i could get most the channels i have now for free/little cost with this current dish setup, considering my year is up with directv and jumped to $80-90

thanks Andrew

Might be. Without knowing what kind of contract the prior owner signed and for how many months or years, the only way to find out is to hook it up.

But even if you do get some channels, which I don't predict. I'd still I'd go true FTA when those stations don't play.

Lone what channels would be able to be subbed to on a old analog box. Lol. The equipment he listed was doa when the post started except for the dish. Might be a good time for a micro hd

Ok so with a micro hd or an azbox would i be able to pick up most the channels i currently have? using the dish/wire i have now

I haven't followed analog and thought there still might be a few. I defer to people who know.

He should get a C only lnbf and something like an S10, Manhattan or a Micro HD, then a G or V Box, actuator

Maybe a 300 dollar investment and there you go

He still wants to get the sub channels and that want happen with fta. Especially if he is looking for cartoons for kids. He should get a cheap dish sub for the family and a gbox micro hd combo for his fun lol

Looks like a challenge!
Is that your bambi in the first picture?
I would switch out the feed horn with a c-band LNBF like LC said above, but leave the old receiver connected as a dish mover. Fnd a cheap used DVB receiver on flea-bay like a Pansat or Coolsat, hook it up and see what you get. You might be impressed, or you might not be. Play around with it for a while and I bet you'll get the hang of it and like it... The fact that you found this site indicates interest... If you like to tinker, you might have lots of fun! :)

There are cartoons on just about every morning on PBS. Qubo on ION 103 has a lot of cartoons.There is, I think, one more cartoon station on a satellite in the 120s.

If he wants those other stations, there is possibly an internet option or even Netflix

It's there with a little effort

There are cartoons on just about every morning on PBS. Qubo on ION 103 has a lot of cartoons.There is, I think, one more cartoon station on a satellite in the 120s.

Everyday on PBS is cartoons except for Saturdays...:rolleyes: go figure....very limited on Sundays but they are there. Qubo is 24/7 cartoons.

btw this is FTA I am talking about....PBS on 125Ku and Qubo on 103 C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)