How to hook up this equipment to do....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I want to be able to watch an OTA channel, while recording a different OTA channel. Do I need a splitter in the mix to do this? The setup is as follows:

32" analog TV

Zinwell ZAT-970 digital converter box

VCR

Currently the OTA antenna comes into the converter box, then out to VCR, then out to TV. Thanks.

you would need 2 converter boxes (or a TV that can decode digital)

antenna in-----splitter port 1-----converter box 1-----vcr------TV
-------------------splitter port 2-----converter box 2---------------

Thanks Iceberg. I'm confused about splitter port 2. I run a coax from splitter port 2 to converter box 2, and then what? And what adjustments/settings do I need to do to watch one OTA channel while recording another channel? Thanks.

Most converter boxes have RCA outputs ( yellow/red/white). Watch your television through the converter box on you video in assuming you have RCA inputs on your television. Run the other converter box into your VCR either tuned to channel 3 or whatever channel your converter box modulates out to into your VCR tuned to that same channel. You could also run a second set of RCA cables out of the second converter box to a line input (RCA in) on your VCR. Then record off of that.

Is your television a newer tv capable of receiving digital signals? If so then you need two converter boxes. Just run one side of the splitter directly to your coax input of your television and the second side of the splitter to the converter box. If your tv is older and doesn't have a tuner for digital, then you will need two converter boxes and set it up as stated above.

Hope that helps. Of course you need to make sure you set up your converter box on the correct channel you want to record before you start recoding it.

Is your television a newer tv capable of receiving digital signals? If so then you need two converter boxes. Just run one side of the splitter directly to your coax input of your television and the second side of the splitter to the converter box. If your tv is older and doesn't have a tuner for digital, then you will need two converter boxes and set it up as stated above.

in his OP he mentions a 32" analog TV so he would need 2 converter boxes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)