How to know when updates happen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I am reading a lot of discussion about when the updates happen. I have looked through the menu and even "Googled" this question but do not see any listing of a time. Other than to just happen to be watching at that hour is this information available?

My updates usually happen when i want to watch something, after having had the unit in standby for a long period of time, it's as if it waits until you want to use it, THEN it starts bugging you to do the update.

Press Menu on your remote twice. It will list the s/w version and the date/time it was updated.

Nice trick with the double MENU pressing. My S528 software gives a date of 11/19/15, 3 a.m. Is this supposed to be the last time the 528 software was updated or could it be the date it was installed on the hard drive? I wonder about this because, should there have been numerous subsequent updates between Nov. 19 and today?

That's the date/time that S528 was installed. There's been no updates since then. If you're thinking guide updates, those aren't firmware or operating system updates.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

That means it is the last time you received new software updates. This doesn't mean your receiver hasn't updated nightly and your guide wasn't updated. Your receiver gets this every day- usually including a reboot to keep it running with less problems around 3:00am.

Thanks to both of you. I've had a lot of confusion on the nightly updates. So, if I understand correctly, the nightly update is not always looking for software updates, but is to update the program guide, reboot the system, etc? In the past I had been thinking that updates to the software version were continually being issued on a nightly basis, so I've been thinking all wrong about it.

It's not clear what the "nightly" thing is anymore. Years ago, with other receivers, the nightly reboot was definitely related to guide updates. With the Hopper, it's been stated by many different people, including Scott, DIRT people, etc, that guide updates can and do happen at anytime, 24 hours a day, as long as a tuner is available. What I, and others, think the nightly reboot also is for is simply stability of the DVR. It is just a computer, after all, and reboots always help. When we had the 522 receiver, I made a habit of rebooting it every few days and it worked real well.

Some think that it has to reboot just to check for s/w updates, but that seems rather strange (from the computer aspect of things). Then again, maybe it only checks during an early stage of the boot-up, before the normal OS loads ?

It's not clear what the "nightly" thing is anymore. Years ago, with other receivers, the nightly reboot was definitely related to guide updates. With the Hopper, it's been stated by many different people, including Scott, DIRT people, etc, that guide updates can and do happen at anytime, 24 hours a day, as long as a tuner is available. What I, and others, think the nightly reboot also is for is simply stability of the DVR. It is just a computer, after all, and reboots always help. When we had the 522 receiver, I made a habit of rebooting it every few days and it worked real well.

Some think that it has to reboot just to check for s/w updates, but that seems rather strange (from the computer aspect of things). Then again, maybe it only checks during an early stage of the boot-up, before the normal OS loads ?

All I know for sure is that it drives me crazy when it does this. There are nights when it reboots 3-4 times, including the first time (which should be the only time for that night). I like to take recorded shows and dub them off onto a VHS or DVD for permanent storage.....

.....but many times I'll set this up before going to bed -- only to check the following morning and find that the VCR or DVD recorder recorded hours of blank signal because the system shut down yet again to look for updates. This is one of the reasons why the Dish techs concluded that my Hopper's hard drive is faulty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts