How to make TV2 have a better picture?

slicked25

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
I had a 50' coaxil cable and a 3' composite video cable (Yellow, White, Red) that made a tremendous difference in picture quality after pressing the TV2 input button to video 2. I kept flipping back on numerous channels from Ch 22 to video 2 and there's no question that if it's not HD then it's not far behind. My question is can you use component video for TV2? On the back of the VIP222 for TV2 there's just a Yellow, White, and Red inputs.

I had a 50' coaxil cable and a 3' composite video cable (Yellow, White, Red) that made a tremendous difference in picture quality after pressing the TV2 input button to video 2. I kept flipping back on numerous channels from Ch 22 to video 2 and there's no question that if it's not HD then it's not far behind. My question is can you use component video for TV2? On the back of the VIP222 for TV2 there's just a Yellow, White, and Red inputs.

TV 2 White is composite video and Yellow is left audio and red right audio. HD component video on TV2 would be nice but there are copyright problems

If you're willing to run in Single Mode (both TVs see the same channel at the same time), you could use the S-Video output for an even better picture than the YELLOW RCA output and better yet, use component.

WHITE is audio LEFT, RED is audio RIGHT and YELLOW is VIDEO. You CAN view via component or HDMI on your 2nd TV in single mode by using (sharing) your TV1's output. Same channel/same time. I have a 2nd HD TV hooked up via HDMI and the primary HD TV connected via component. All outputs are hot at the same time. The 2nd TV is also connected via coax, if dual mode is needed then its SD.

Ed

Well I brought the TV2 in the living room and was changing channels with TV2 remote while TV1 was on an HD channel and it worked flawlessly. I've never owned a set of component video cables just curious since it's rated better. You know how TV2 especially while watching an HD channel is fuzzy well this cured that problem but I'll need a longer set of RCA cables to achieve this.

Oh, I never went to single mode while doing this.

You'd only need to go to single mode to utilize component (red, blue, green video and red, white audio) or HDMI to get HD from the TV1 tuner to the 2nd TV. I'm surprised the pq is that much better using RCA/composite but if you need any type of cables go to monoprice.com . They've got any length you need. Great prices & fast shipping.

Ed

Success for two HD TV's with a VIP 622

I just moved my 50" plasma into the upstairs bedroom after taking delivery of a new 58" panasonic for the family room. I didn't want to get another leased receiver to feed the upstairs plasma.

Both the HDMI and R/G/B outputs are "hot" on TV1 for the VIP 622. I successfully ran 100' of 5-conductor coax (R/G/B + L/R audio). I get a great HD picture in the bedroom now where the previous RF signal via COAX was terrible. Of course both plasma sets are limited to the same VIP 622 TV1 output. But now we can watch the recorded DVR events upstairs in HD.

I was concerned about the length of the R/G/B 100' run but it works just fine. The brand of the 5-coax cable and connectors were Rapidrun and I got the whole set-up for about $100 plus shipping.

I had previously bought a UHF remote that I configured for TV1 as the supplied VIP UHF remote was for TV2.

HAve I confused everyone at this point?

Lou

I just moved my 50" plasma into the upstairs bedroom after taking delivery of a new 58" panasonic for the family room. I didn't want to get another leased receiver to feed the upstairs plasma.

Both the HDMI and R/G/B outputs are "hot" on TV1 for the VIP 622. I successfully ran 100' of 5-conductor coax (R/G/B + L/R audio). I get a great HD picture in the bedroom now where the previous RF signal via COAX was terrible. Of course both plasma sets are limited to the same VIP 622 TV1 output. But now we can watch the recorded DVR events upstairs in HD.

I was concerned about the length of the R/G/B 100' run but it works just fine. The brand of the 5-coax cable and connectors were Rapidrun and I got the whole set-up for about $100 plus shipping.

I had previously bought a UHF remote that I configured for TV1 as the supplied VIP UHF remote was for TV2.

HAve I confused everyone at this point?

Lou

You do realize the VIP622 is a Dual Tuner right? If not hit Menu 6, 1, 5 and turn TV2 Ch 22 Air. Next turn TV2 to Ch 22. TV2 is what the UHF remotes are for. VHF for TV1. But if you do realize then see below;

Get you a 100' of RCA Cables to TV2 output on the 622 and you can change the channels without affecting the one downstairs. Just press the INPUT button on your upstairs tv remote to video 1 or 2.

I just moved my 50" plasma into the upstairs bedroom...
WOW!!!! :eek: You're going to need to invest in a sleeping mask to sleep if that thing is on... :)

On another note though, you just made a serious move up the "cool" scale...

My TV2 is a small Sharp EDTV located in my kitchen, and HD content looks great on it, even coming through a coax!

Now that's what I have for my TV2 in the bathroom except I also used RCA (Red, White Yellow) Cables that made the HD channels a lot better for viewing. Just change that tv's input to video 1 or 2 to do this.

For clarification - I wanted HD on the upstairs plasma, TV2 output is standard definition. Only way I knew to get HD on both was to utilize the HDMI for the downstairs and R/G/B output via the 5-coax cable.

You are stuck with the same program on both sets if you want HD. I do use the RF TV2 output on the upstairs plasma if we want different shows, but the picture sucks on a 50" HD set.

Link to cables:

http://www.cablestogo.com/rapidrun/RR_Brochure.pdf

Lou

For clarification - I wanted HD on the upstairs plasma, TV2 output is standard definition. Only way I knew to get HD on both was to utilize the HDMI for the downstairs and R/G/B output via the 5-coax cable.

You are stuck with the same program on both sets if you want HD. I do use the RF TV2 output on the upstairs plasma if we want different shows, but the picture sucks on a 50" HD set.

Link to cables:

http://www.cablestogo.com/rapidrun/RR_Brochure.pdf

Lou

Check out this place for cables. Their the cheapest place this side of the Mississippi. Bought a HDMI 1.3 for 5 bucks yesterday and the same one at Wal-Mart cost $34.

www.monoprice.com

Duh. I know that.

I was questioning the "there are copyright problems" statement. I understand the HD-DVR's not being able to play back in HD in both rooms or whatever, but there should be no copyright issues with 2 HD tuners in the 222 as it does not record. It would be no different than two 211's.

am thinking about a 100 foot run of 5 wire rca cables feeding component video and audio from 622 to an hd tv in a bedroom. any thoughts on whether is should step up for premium cable?

PREMIUM 100FT 5-RCA Component Video/Audio Coaxial RG-6 18AWG 75Ohm Cable: $79.98
vs.
REGULAR 100FT 5-RCA Component Video/Audio 20AWG Coax Cable (RG-59/U): $44.08

also, what about buying hd monitor with 720p vs 1080p in appx. 40" size?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts