How to piggyback

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

safetyfastmg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
I have a 4 room system. Dish 1000 with a 622 and a 322. I would like to piggyback a tv in my garage to watch occasionally. I realize it would have to be on whatever channel as the TV I'm leeching off of. Question is, exactly how do I do this, and will it effect pic quality on the other TVs?

You'll need a splitter. Splitting the signal will result in a -3.5 db loss and depending on how long the cable run is, yes it could affect the signal. I would try it and see if it works.

I did this in my garage with our 625. I do not notice any picture problems, but both tvs on tv2 are only 19in tube tvs.

I used 4 splitters. Take a look at the attached pic. Then I bought a used remote on ebay.

Good luck,
Ken

Attachments

• to_garage.jpg
    to_garage.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 235
I did this in my garage with our 625. I do not notice any picture problems, but both tvs on tv2 are only 19in tube tvs.

I used 4 splitters. Take a look at the attached pic. Then I bought a used remote on ebay.

Good luck,
Ken

I split the Coax signal off of one of my 508's to go to 4 TV's that get used seldon but when they do I have SAT avaialble. I had it split two ways with no problem but wen I went to 4 there was some ( very little) signal loss. I added a COAX amp in line and I have a great picture on all locations. Granted they are not great TV's but the picture quality is the best the set will offer and there is no issue with signal loss split for ways through an amp.

Great! Ken, am I to understand that there is a remote antenna at each of your sets? Is there a box at the garage set? Sorry for the confusion.

Great! Ken, am I to understand that there is a remote antenna at each of your sets? Is there a box at the garage set? Sorry for the confusion.

There is no box in the garage. I had problems with the UHF remote working in the garage and the bedroom. Both locations are not that far away from the 625 but the UHF remote had problems. Now I have a UHF antenna next to the TVs and everything works great.

The TV2 signal and the UHF antenna are using the same cable. Then at the TV it is split again with a splitter.

Ken

Okay, I think I understand. There's no tv at the receiver any more, just at the downstream TVs. Your splitter behind the receiver is hooked up in reverse. I'll give it a try with out running extra cable first and see what happens.

Okay, I think I understand. There's no tv at the receiver any more, just at the downstream TVs. Your splitter behind the receiver is hooked up in reverse. I'll give it a try with out running extra cable first and see what happens.

There is still a TV at the receiver. I am using the TV1 out for that TV. The TV2 output in shared. I am running the 625 in dual mode.

Ken

Whoops. I obviously can't type and think at the same time. I meant to say there's no antenna at the receiver anymore and the splitter behind the receiver is hooked up in reverse.

if you use enough splitters and combine them all the right way, and put all four of your outputs on separate channels, the remote tvs have four things to choose from.

great idea there with the remote antennae. I've got my whole house wired that way but didn't think about putting "remote" remote antennae.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)