How to replace multiswitch?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

elgato5164

Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I have DirecTV and recently after a storm the signal to the odd transponders is 0. Naturally, I only receive some of my channels at this point. I briefly talked to a technician and he said more than likely the switch needs to be replaced. Is this something an unexperienced person like myself can do easily? The satellite is 101 and I am in the Atlanta area. Also, how would I decide which switch I need if I have 3 receivers?

Thanks for the help!

We need more information.

What dish do you currently have?
What receiver models?

If you have the 5LNB or 3LNB dish then the multiswitch is built into the LNB assembly.

This is the information I can find on my DTV equipment:

My receivers are Model SD-HBH mfr. in 4/04 and my dish has a big "KTI" on it and the part no. is 150517. I hope this is the correct information so that you can answer my question.

Thanks!

Okay, I believe you have the round dish, probably with a dual LNB in one unit, and a standalone receiver. That dish doesn't have a built in multiswitch so you'd need to replace the LNB.

Now you've asked this question in the DirecTV HD forum, so are you planning to go HiDef? If so, then DirecTV will supply a new dish when you order an HD receiver.

Okay, I believe you have the round dish, probably with a dual LNB in one unit, and a standalone receiver. That dish doesn't have a built in multiswitch so you'd need to replace the LNB.

Now you've asked this question in the DirecTV HD forum, so are you planning to go HiDef? If so, then DirecTV will supply a new dish when you order an HD receiver.
Yes, you are correct, it is a round dish. At this time we are not planning on going to HiDef. Since I am such a newbie at all of this what does the LNB stand for? Is it the same as the multiswitch?
Thanks again

If you have 3 receivers, there is a multiswitch in addition to the LNB on the dish. The two cables from the LNB go to the inputs of the multiswitch and there are additional cables going from the multiswitch to each receiver. This is probably a 2x4 or 3x4 multiswitch. Once you locate the switch, you can connect one of the inputs to one of the output cables with a barrel connector and that will allow you to see if the problem is with the multiswitch or LNB (you should test each of the cables from the LNB).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts