How to send HD signal to TV in another room

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aurora

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Aurora, CO
Sorry if this has been discussed before, as I'm sure it has but maybe someone could get me in the right direction. We have 2 HR22 and 1 D12 receivers. One HR22 is in the basement, one HR22 in the main floor living room, and the D12 upstairs in the bedroom. My wife wants to get a third HDDVR for the bedroom now that we have a hdtv in there, but she is ok with sharing the signal from one of the HR22s we already have IF I can do it. Running component cables would be VERY difficult and ugly, so I have ruled that out. I guess my question is, is there a cost-effective technology to convert the HD signal to some form I could send over the house's existing phone or coax runs? I guess cost effective would mean less than the price of a HDDVR at costco (169$) plus the 6 extra months of ETF (20$/MONTH) so do you think I could do this for less than 300 bucks or so?

Thanks everyone.

I would invest in a Slingbox Pro HD and a SlingCatcher for the 3rd TV. Yes there is a large up front cost ($400) however, you own it, there is no monthly fee, and you will get a lot of use from the equipment over their life. You'll also be able to watch your TV while on the go.

You might want to check out MRV in the cutting edge section on the forum for a possible solution. With MRV you could use wireless or powerline adapters for the connection to the bedroom from either HR2X.

I would invest in a Slingbox Pro HD and a SlingCatcher for the 3rd TV. Yes there is a large up front cost ($400) however, you own it, there is no monthly fee, and you will get a lot of use from the equipment over their life. You'll also be able to watch your TV while on the go.

Hey thanks, I hadn't thought of that. May be worth looking into!!

Hey thanks, I hadn't thought of that. May be worth looking into!!

No problem. I can tell you that I am going this route myself. I am just saving up a little before taking the plung (next month). Plus I want to use the Slingbox on my iPod touch and Palm Pre when it comes out. The cool part is you can take your SlingCatcher with you while traveling and have access to your HD DVR while away. I have been doing a lot of research on this and seems like an awesome way to go.

Think of it this way: $5/month for an extra receiver X 24 month contract = $120 minimal that you'll never get back. Not to mention what DirecTV would charge for another HD DVR. Take that $120 and invest it in your Sling setup. Amazon has the best prices right now on both. No shipping or sales tax either.

I've never used slingbox before, is there a web interface or something so you can watch from your laptop while traveling for example?

Sharing a DTV box between 2 HD TVs is a doable thing if you can run HDMI cable. I'm sharing a HD connection with my wife who has a HD TV in the laundry room where the box is also located. My office is about 25' away. I bought a 30' HDMI cable and plugged one end into the H23 unit. The cable runs through 2 walls and then into my HD TV. Since her TV is right next to the box, it is fed with component cable. I had to buy a IR-RF-IR booster from Radio Shack which allows me to control the DTV receiver from my office.

I bought the HDMI cable from HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!. I think they have lengths up to 100' or more. It goes without saying that if you decide to go this route, you should measure the length carefully and then add at least 10' for unexpected zigs.

The downside to all this is that you will probably spend at least what a receiver costs at Costco so your long range saving will only be the $5 per month. The major cost for going "cheap" is the HDMI cable. I paid around $40 for 30'.

Can't you use HDMI to the distant TV and component to the near tv?

Unfortunately I don't think it is possible. I wish I could provide a layout of my house but basically I would have to fish the HDMI cable up two floors , no attic due to vaulted ceilings, then along the floor and through 6 walls or so. total of at least 75'. It would be ugly :)

It would be very easy to share the output between the living room and basement TV's as they are directly above one another but unfortunately those are the two that need to watch 2 different programs at the same time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts