How to stop Dish Network from putting automatic timers...

loopup2u

Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Does anyone know of a method to stop the automatic Dish Network timers that record their little advertisments from being placed on our DVR's?

While I don't know how to completely block them you can just skip them and they won't come back until next time. I've found that if I delete them they come back shortly.

Let it sit there for a day, then delete it, and it won't likely come back. And be thankful that your life is so good that you have time and effort to complain about something like this. They so rarely actually do this.

I found out I don't mind them. I never new anything about the TV show "Justified" till it was one of the things Dish downloaded one day. After watching it, I really liked it and from then on have been watching that series. I just erase what I have no interest in, and watch what I might be.
I don't know if Dish does it as a "service" or if it is by contract. If not by contract if you don't like it I can understand wanting to disable it, but in reality I wouldn't think it is a big deal.

Last edited:
I side with the OP on this. If I could block it, I would too. I know it isn't a big deal. Just more of a irritant that they downloaded something that I didn't and don't want on there.

While I don't know how to completely block them you can just skip them and they won't come back until next time. I've found that if I delete them they come back shortly.
By deleting them, when they run the check to see if you have it or not, they don't see it and queue it up. By skipping it, the timer still exists and their 'check' says it's already there so no need to download it (again).

I don't know if Dish does it as a "service" or if it is by contract. If not by contract if you don't like it I can understand wanting to disable it, but in reality I wouldn't think it is a big deal.
Our contracts have a section related to this so yes, all of us agreed to let Dish do this.

That 3 minutes sure fills up your hard drive :rolleyes
and again someone berates the issue..

*I* was attached via sling last night ...er... make that early this am.. and it just so happened that CBS in DC was airing an episode of Dr. Oz .. I don't normally watch.. but his gimmick for the show was 10 numbers for heart health ...

now.. I had seen the timer was there.. and deleted it.. not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES ... and each time it came back.. the FORTH time I didn't know it and I'm in the middle of watching this show.. and because I'm in with the Sling Adapter ... and because those dumbasses haven't figured out how to re-allocate timers to unused tuners, as well as how to prompt the user watching REMOTELY asking if they wanted to start this other recording.. I missed a minute of the show, and therein lost one of the keypoints Dr. Oz was talking about... have heart issues all over *YOUR* family and go ahead ignoring shows that try to help you...

So.. minor that it records to our dvr? yup... and what the hell is dish reserving HALF of our drives for then? Why don't they stick this crap on *THEIR* side of the half drive they've taken away?

Annoyance when you're trying to watch something? more and more, depending on if you're local to the TV or watching remotely (locally its presumed you should have gotten a countdown timer appearing on TV2)

And the end point.. please don't dis what you find as minor for what someone else is more annoyed with.. I'm sure there are issues *you* find compelling and others would dismiss. Someone's out there now wanting FearNet in HD ... not my cup of tea, but I certainly won't begrudge them their desire to have it..

IMO, it's nonsense. I was like WTF last night. It's new for me, and was a huge deal with TiVo, but at least you can turn "Suggestions" off. I'll admit its a small thing, but it def makes me push this:

alertbullshit2_800w.jpg

You could keep 96 timers going at all times and DISH can't plant any timers on your dvr. Because 96 timers are the limit that you can create without deleting one. You could even create auto tune timers .

You could keep 96 timers going at all times and DISH can't plant any timers on your dvr. Because 96 timers are the limit that you can create without deleting one. You could even create auto tune timers .
if one timer picks up 7 episodes (i.e. Mash) at different times does that count as "1 timer" or "7 timers"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts