How to tell a 1000.4 vs 1000.2 Dish?

blodgee

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
canada
I want to buy a used 1000.4 Western Arc dish but I don't know how to tell the difference between the 1000.2 and 1000.4.
Does anyone have pics of each or know what to look for about the differences?

The 1000.4 Western Arc will have a slightly larger reflector than the 1000.2. Other than that, everything is going to look pretty close to the same (that I can think of)

Are you sure you don't want to get a 1000.4 Eastern Arc?

No I don't want the Eastern Arc.
I just want to know how I can tell by looking at one whether it's a 1000.4 or 1000.2?

Does the feed arm un-bolt from the 1000.2 ?
Is there any 1000.2 that have the fine adjustments for tilt like the 1000.4?
If the reflector is only slightly larger on the 1000.4 then it's going to be hard to tell that looking at a ebay listing.
A lot of the listings don't know what they have even if you ask them so I need to know the specific questions or things to
look for in the pictures.

feed arm on the 1000.2 is pressed together, the 1000.4 has 2 bolts on the bottom of the feed arm.
1000.4 has the "dithering" bolts not the 1000.2
reflector is slightly larger by about 4 inches and can be tough to distinguish in pictures.

Ok thanks very much.
So if the arm un bolts or the head assembly has the dithering rod adjustment then it is safe to say it is in fact a 1000.4 dish?

1000.4 WA also has fine tune adjustments on it, 1k2 has no such thing.

if you look at the reflector the 4 bolts on the .2 are evenly spaced on the .4 the top 2 bolts are farther apart than the bottom 2. That's the quickest and easiest way to tell.

Is there any advantages one or the other?
The 1000.4 has better tools for fine tuning the aiming than the 1000.2. It's also made with a bit thicker metal that protects it better from damage if it's dropped or blown over. The .4 LNBF adapter can easily be modified to accept .2 LNBF's, and the slightly larger dish can mean a bit stringer signals. As said, the .4 is no longer offered, but if you find one and want it for portable use, it's not a bad way to go. For a fixed installation there isn't much advantage to one over the other beyond the initial setup.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The 1000.4 has better tools for fine tuning the aiming than the 1000.2. It's also made with a bit thicker metal that protects it better from damage if it's dropped or blown over. The .4 LNBF adapter can easily be modified to accept .2 LNBF's, and the slightly larger dish can mean a bit stringer signals. As said, the .4 is no longer offered, but if you find one and want it for portable use, it's not a bad way to go. For a fixed installation there isn't much advantage to one over the other beyond the initial setup.
I have the.4 and am trying to get it set up for portable use ona tripod

I have the.4 and am trying to get it set up for portable use ona tripod
The pictures below show how I equipped one of my .4's for portable use. Note the large wing nuts that replaced the standard hex nuts for a no tools required setup. I'll do another set of pics that show how I modified a standard roof mount tripod for easy setup.

2018-01-26 13.34.47.jpg

A .2 EA LNBF mounted on a .4. The adapter mod is below.
1k4_dish_1K2_EA_LNBF.jpg

Unmodified adapter
1K4-adapter.jpg

Modified adapter. Spot the difference?
1K4-adapter-mod.jpg

Last edited:
I'll do another set of pics that show how I modified a standard roof mount tripod for easy setup.
Here's the tripod mod pics:

Finished leveler with standard wing nut for locking.
2015-02-27 16.47.50.jpg

Foot modified with a pop-riveted threaded leveling adapter used on furniture.
0831131323.jpg

Side view of threaded leveling adapter.
0831131322.jpg

8" carriage bolt with a large wing nut and lock nut.
0831131324.jpg

Finished leveler. Washer and nuts are stainless steel.
0831131326.jpg

Reactions: Foxbat and NYDutch
The pictures below show how I equipped one of my .4's for portable use. Note the large wing nuts that replaced the standard hex nuts for a no tools required setup. I'll do another set of pics that show how I modified a standard roof mount tripod for easy setup.

View attachment 168219

A .2 EA LNBF mounted on a .4. The adapter mod is below.View attachment 168220

Unmodified adapter
View attachment 168221

Modified adapter. Spot the difference?
View attachment 168222
Where'd you come up with all the various wingnuts? Would like to switch mine out to that on my Motorhome setup. Carry and EA and WA LNB so that can get reception damn near anywhere. Can usually be setup up and peaked within about 10-15 minutes but tool less would make that process even quicker!

Where'd you come up with all the various wingnuts? Would like to switch mine out to that on my Motorhome setup. Carry and EA and WA LNB so that can get reception damn near anywhere. Can usually be setup up and peaked within about 10-15 minutes but tool less would make that process even quicker!
I bought them at a local Ace Hardware store. They were in the loose hardware drawers.