How to tune to sub channels directly?

mikbro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I have several ota stations such as pbs that are 21-1, 21-2, 21-3, and 21-4 - does anyone know how to tune those channels directly using the remote (and not using channel up/down or guide)?

The reason I ask is I have a PVR system that sends channel changes using the 0-9 buttons. Some STBs have a "-" button that allows you to enter the sub channel but I can't seem to find such a combo on the voom remote...

With Voom, you can't. The best way is to pull up the guide and select your subchannel. If you hit the FAVS button, it starts with the OTA's, so it's not that big of a deal. My Dish 6000 lets me key in 00602 for channel 6 sub channel 2 directly.

The most advanced HD receiver available can't tune some of the channels by entering the channel number? That's weird.

I wouldn't exactly call the Voom stb "the most advanced HD receiver". Quite the contrary, it leaves a lot to be desired, not nearly as good as my 4 year old Dish 6000 (in picture quality & timer functionality anyways).

jnardone said:
The most advanced HD receiver available can't tune some of the channels by entering the channel number? That's weird.

Again, like Gil asked in another post where you replied with the same sarcastic remark. How does this help answering the question?

jnardone said:

I have a Zenith HDV-420 STB one of the most advanced HD receivers available and can tune in the sub-channels by entering the channel number. Gee, whadda you know I push 132 and it goes to 13.2, I can even punch in sub channels that don't exist like 13.85 :p

bryan27 said:
I have a Zenith HDV-420 STB one of the most advanced HD receivers available and can tune in the sub-channels by entering the channel number. Gee, whadda you know I push 132 and it goes to 13.2, I can even punch in sub channels that don't exist like 13.85 :p

I have that same box. It's nice. Only beef I have with it is that I can tune to DC *OR* Baltimore stations, so if I have the antenna tuned to DC, and turn to a Baltimore station, it thinks the station doesnt exist and forgets it. Then when I turn the antenna back to Baltimore, I need to do a re-scan to get the Baltimore stations back...

Anyways as for the Voom box, just use the favorites menu. :)

-John

bryan27 said:

really? how do you tune in channel 132? Or is the STB telepathic as well?

vurbano said:
So its worthless as an STB? Why bother

The 420 is only an OTA HD Tuner, no satellite receiver function.

I have one because if you remember last, oh, April or so, the Voom box could not do an OTA scan, so I was limited to my market channels only. The Zenith box does OTA scanning (just like the newer Voom software).

Now that Voom has a OTA scanning, I still use the Zenith box in my basement home theater system. No HD TV, but it does output Dolby Digital, so it's far superior than the built-in analog stereo TV tuner. :)

-John

Sean Mota said:
Again, like Gil asked in another post where you replied with the same sarcastic remark. How does this help answering the question?

Your right, I guess fifteen months of waiting for a solution to that and other technical problems with the VOOM box has gotten to me. I will ask Wilt over in the Yahoo! group when we should expect resolutions. I am sure he will answer.

I think I may have ben a more satisfied customer if VOOM had just said:
We are not going to offer subchannel entry by remote.
We are always going to have vast volume differences between channels.
Our SD channel quality is never going to improve so there won't be sparklies on some channels.
We are never going to offer a DVR.
If they had just been honest I could have cancelled my service before the money back guarantee period expired. They lied to me and I resent it.

jnardone said:
I think I may have ben a more satisfied customer if VOOM had just said:
We are not going to offer subchannel entry by remote.

Sure. We are all in the same boat waiting. But if they need to fix something, that will be at the bottom of my list.

jnardone said:
We are always going to have vast volume differences between channels.

That has been explained already by Wilt. Gil, today repeated what Wilt said about it. Volume variation is also on Dish and Cable which I have.

jnardone said:
Our SD channel quality is never going to improve so there won't be sparklies on some channels.

I guess you did not read my post about it.

jnardone said:
We are never going to offer a DVR.

Good luck and see if you can get any information.

jnardone said:
If they had just been honest I could have cancelled my service before the money back guarantee period expired. They lied to me and I resent it.

Sure... They did. How come a lot of us got our money before the money back guarantee expired. It was posted here to death. Sorry that you missed the deadline.

So now weve complained about not being able to tune directly to a subchannel. Is their any other trivial thing we could complain about? That extra up or down keypress must be damaging our tendons.:rolleyes:

vurbano said:
So now weve complained about not being able to tune directly to a subchannel. Is their any other trivial thing we could complain about? That extra up or down keypress must be damaging our tendons.:rolleyes:

Sure.. How come the remote cant tell me where it is when i lose it? Shouldn't voom be able to put in a tracking device or something? :p

zombie said:
Sure.. How come the remote cant tell me where it is when i lose it? Shouldn't voom be able to put in a tracking device or something? :p

OOOHHHH, like the page button the cordless phone! GOOD IDEA. :) heh.

-John

Is there anything worth watching on these stupid sub channels anyway??!! All they are good for in my opinion is siphoning off bandwidth which harms PQ on the main channel.

I'll also occasionally take a look at the weather radars, but I wouldn't really miss them if they weren't there.

TheTimm said:
I'll also occasionally take a look at the weather radars, but I wouldn't really miss them if they weren't there.

Actually in pittsburgh PBS uses subchannel 2 (13-2) as its main broadcast. Although its just an HD loop that PBS runs and I can't imagine wanting to record it.. I would guess some other channels in other cities may do the same, although i'm not sure why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts