How to upgrade receivers? Where to start?

sNaKeYeZ

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Chunky, MS
Already on my 2nd post. :)
As I had said in my previous post, I have a model 3900 reciever with a Dish 500 dish outside that I recieved when I first signed up with Dish Network in 2000 or 2001 (I can't recall). I've been living with limited features and annoying "Info Not Available" for programs 30 minutes in the future on my programming guide for years, and never really realized how good it could be.

Until my parents got their new 301 receiver. Gosh what a difference! I raced across their guide for a day or more before any updates were needed, and I never saw an "Info Not Available"! And timers, how neato! And Caller ID on the TV screen! I must have!

I praised at their installer that day for such a wonderful product, and he told me something about how I could upgrade my system to the 301 for only like $50, but I'd have to go through my original installer. Since he knew I didn't use him as my installer, that's as far as the conversation went. I wish I would have used this guy for my original installer because the guys that installed my Dish NO LONGER INSTALL DISH NETWORK. So, now I'm at a loss of what to do or where to begin.

I'd love to get a new 301 reciever, or maybe a PVR system, they look neat. Here's my current setup as best I know how to tell about it:
3900 receiver
Dish 500 dish
I have a single receiver and single dish, I share my satellite picture using Terk Leapfrog wireless video sending units at 2.4 Ghz around the house.

So, how can I upgrade? Would I need to get a new dish outside? If I just got a used unit from eBay, how would I get it to work? Just slide my old card out of my 3900 and put it in the new 301? I seriously doubt it works that way, but I have no clue. Can I use any installer to get a deal from Dish Network on a new reciever since my original went out of biz? Can I buy new directly from an online retailer?

Thanks everyone!
Lance

You have plenty of options. All you would have to do is swap out the old receiver for the new one. The Dish would stay the same.

You can call Dish Network (800-333-Dish) and I know they have some upgrade options. You could get one from a retailer (I went from a 301 to a 508 PVR a couple months ago..got it from www.dishstore.net), or you could do the Ebay route. The Ebay route might not be the best, as if there is a balance on the receiver, Dish won't activate it. The new receivers would have the card in it. All you would have to do is call Dish and tell them you want to swap receivers.

I would call Dish first and see what special offers they have. You could also check places like WalMart to see if they have any 301s in stock cheap.

You could also sell your used receiver and probably be able to get a good used 301 for the same price or the difference you would have in the new 301/311 and what you get out of the 3900 should not be much, maybe $40-60.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts