How To Use Your Voom Dish With Dish Network..

AxE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
O.K. guys I think we have this figured out.....

To be able to use your VOOM dish at 61.5 for hi-def, in conjunction with a dish 500 for standard channels without having to purchase another dish, all you need to have an installer bring is an SW21 switch. They run a line from the 61.5 dish to the SW21, and a line from the Dish 500 to the SW21, from there it can go into your 811, or 2 811's (requires 2 SW21's). The newer receivers for Dish Network are compatible with both legacy equipment and Dish Pro, and VOOM's lnb is similar to a legacy head.

We will be testing this tomorrow, so I will let you all know.

Except new installs usually use dish pro.

There will always be 2 options requiring 2 equipment.
1. Replace the dish 500 lnb with a legacy twin or pro and switch with voom lnb using a sw21

2. Replace the voom lnb with dish pro single/dual and switch with dish 500 pro using a dp21

SW 21 Switch

Using the sw 21 switch will work. Just installed mine, and working fine.

Glad to know this works in theory so maybe one of you can help me out. I'm having a problem getting the Dish receiver to see any signal on the Voom dish.
I'm using an SW64 since I had three receivers and two dishes (3 LNB's) in the previous install, and that's what I'll need now. When I got Voom I took down all the E* stuff, but fortunately I saved it. Reinstalled it today and I can get 110 and 119 with no problems but 61.5 shows no sat. Same no sat reading when bypassing the switch. Signal was and is good with the Voom box, and the Voom dish has not been moved.
My 811 is on the way so I'm doing this with an old JVC4700 Dish 500 box, so maybe it's too old but shouldn't it at least acknowledge the presence of a signal?
I'm using legacy Dish 500 LNB's if that makes a difference. Any ideas? I'd like to get this all sorted so I can just plug in the 811 when it gets here so if I need to get anything new I'll do it ASAP.

Bob H.

Currently I have a Dish 500 and the Voom dishes installed. Voom is what is currently wired. I am calling soon to reactivate my Dish service and want to ba able to get the voom channels using the existing hardware. Are you able to use a Dish Network DP34 instead of a SW21 with a Dish 500 dish and a voom dish? I have an 811 stb and an old 300 series model for a tv in the patio in the backyard. Thanks for any info you can provide.

bobhaze said:
Glad to know this works in theory so maybe one of you can help me out. I'm having a problem getting the Dish receiver to see any signal on the Voom dish.
I'm using an SW64 since I had three receivers and two dishes (3 LNB's) in the previous install, and that's what I'll need now. When I got Voom I took down all the E* stuff, but fortunately I saved it. Reinstalled it today and I can get 110 and 119 with no problems but 61.5 shows no sat. Same no sat reading when bypassing the switch. Signal was and is good with the Voom box, and the Voom dish has not been moved.
My 811 is on the way so I'm doing this with an old JVC4700 Dish 500 box, so maybe it's too old but shouldn't it at least acknowledge the presence of a signal?
I'm using legacy Dish 500 LNB's if that makes a difference. Any ideas? I'd like to get this all sorted so I can just plug in the 811 when it gets here so if I need to get anything new I'll do it ASAP.

Bob H.

Did you run the Check Switch which is in the Installation menu? It is necessary for the dish receiver to recognize your switches and satellites.

If you had your previous system set up with any switches, your receivers have that in memory. Even if you know bypass all switches tto see iff your Voom dish works with Dish (as I did before using my switches), you will have to rerun the Check Switch and will then see that your receiver recognizes that you do not have any switches and should then recognize the 61.5 sat.

Shelly

rvec said:
Using the sw 21 switch will work. Just installed mine, and working fine.

Are you using a legacy or pro head on the dish 500?

shelly said:
Did you run the Check Switch which is in the Installation menu? It is necessary for the dish receiver to recognize your switches and satellites.

If you had your previous system set up with any switches, your receivers have that in memory. Even if you know bypass all switches tto see iff your Voom dish works with Dish (as I did before using my switches), you will have to rerun the Check Switch and will then see that your receiver recognizes that you do not have any switches and should then recognize the 61.5 sat.

Shelly

Thanks Shelly,

That was it. I didn't think I had to run a switch check on the direct connection, but apparently I did. I can see all three now.

Bob H.

So let me get this straight. I just got Dish Network installed last weekend and it's a the 811 receiver and the Dish pro dish. I was a Voom customer till it went black, so I still have my Voom dish up. All I need to do is run a line from the Voom dish to a switch and then to the receiver and call Dish Network to add the Voom programming and it will work? :confused:

rgaines said:
So let me get this straight. I just got Dish Network installed last weekend and it's a the 811 receiver and the Dish pro dish. I was a Voom customer till it went black, so I still have my Voom dish up. All I need to do is run a line from the Voom dish to a switch and then to the receiver and call Dish Network to add the Voom programming and it will work? :confused:
Probably not. VOOM's LNB is compatible with E* legacy LNB's and switches. If you're a new install, you almost surely have DishPro LNB's. What you need to do is go all legacy or all DishPro.

rgaines said:

NO

there are 2 types....DishPro and Legacy
Voom LNB was/is Legacy

The Dish setup is DishPro (thats what you have)

You cannot mix Legacy & DishPro

Is there any chance that Dish will move the Voom channels to the Sat I'm using. I mean don't they have to be on one sat or do they expect me to cover my house with there dishes. How can I find out what sat I'm using?

They will replace the dish and LNB...all you need is a DishPro LNB and a DP21 switch
(the reason I say the whole dish is because the LNB for Voom was a rectangle and Dish is a "D" style)

rgaines said:
Is there any chance that Dish will move the Voom channels to the Sat I'm using. I mean don't they have to be on one sat or do they expect me to cover my house with there dishes. How can I find out what sat I'm using?

I just read in another thread that a west Coast Dish subber was told by a CSR that they could not get the new HD channels "until they switched satellites"--I found that very interesting--if that means to 148, then those than have a dish pointed at 148 would not need to buy a $100 dish to point into 61.5--unless they can't wait--but then what do they do with their new $100 dish?

bookwalk said:
I just read in another thread that a west Coast Dish subber was told by a CSR that they could not get the new HD channels "until they switched satellites"--I found that very interesting--if that means to 148, then those than have a dish pointed at 148 would not need to buy a $100 dish to point into 61.5--unless they can't wait--but then what do they do with their new $100 dish?
The satellite may move. The programming will stay at 61.5 on Echostar-4.

mdonnelly said:
The satellite may move. The programming will stay at 61.5 on Echostar-4.

That sucks. I want Voom but I don't want all those dishes on my roof. I would think they would have it where everything is on one dish but I guess they just don't have the room on the sats to do that. I guess it's one of the drawback of satellite.

The DISH installer just left. He took down the VoOM dish as it is not compatibale with the DISH signal. Different polarity scheme requiring a DISH LNB.

He put in a DISH 500 dual for 110 and 119 and a DISH 500 with only one LNB mounted for 61.5. We ran one new coax for 61.5 and used the two VoOM cables for the 110 / 119 dish. He took my old switch out and connected the 3 coax cables, from the two dishes, to a DISH DP34 switch. Installed two 811 HD receivers and an 510 SD-DVR (free upgrade) and everything is up and running. Yes, it did cost $100 for the second dish. At this point, a small price to pay to have my favorite VoOM channels back. ;)

I had my MONSTERS-HD back on in 2 DAYS, 12 HOURS and 53 MINUTES after VoOM ceased operations. I actually think the picture looks BETTER than it did with VoOM and I was very happy with the VoOM signal. :p

It will take some time to evaluate everything and the OTA HD signals thru the 811, but so far so good!!!

VOOM LIVES! Thank you DISH. VoOMers will probably be refering to the VoOM programming on DISH as VoOM for a long time. And the newbies will be saying "what's voom?".

Maybe we should now call it VoOM 2! ;)

The installer did say that he thought later this year 61.5 would go away and someone would be back out to install a "Super-DISH". So, HD will be moving west...how far and when remains in question, but it will happen. :yes

On the VoOM forum poll, change my vote from 'Going to switch', to 'Switched to DISH'.

I am one happy camper! :D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts