How to view in widescreen

gandia9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
So, I just switched to the HD absolute about a week ago and I am wondering if there is a way to 'strech' the picture when the station is not broadcasting an HD program. I know I can just change the aspect manually at each station, but it stays on stretch when the HD content comes on. I want it to automaically switch between stretch and normal like it does with HD and SD stations. Is this even possible?

If it's like OTA (over the air), the station is in HD all the time, and just pastes in SD programming in the middle of the screen.
That might make it difficult to detect the situation you are describing.

You might see the same on an HD show with SD commercials.
I can't speak to the DN receivers, programming, and standards.

gandia, visit the website in my sig, and read around here for more info about stretch-o-vision.

I just don't understand why someone would spend the money to get the best picture possible, then intentionally distort it just to "fill the screen".

In a word

NO. There is no way for the system to auto detect when the show is 4x3 center pillarbox. The reason is even when it is showing a program this way the sides are being filled in w/ info that translates into black in most cases.

I will have to spring for an HD system ....eventually. Count me amongst the card carrying ignorant masses when it comes to the subject, but in my research on a similar subject, I read that depending on the model/mfgr there are three ways that 4:3 SD formatted video is handled on a 16:9 screen, One is stretching, without respect to X/Y ratios. YUK! I've seen it and No thank you! As pepper said, why would anyone spend that kind of money for such a poor quality viewing experience. The second was cropping and zooming. X/Y ratios are maintained but you dont get the whole picture. The third is some compromising combination of the two. I haven't looked hard, but the "sales specs" for given hd screens dont even mention how they handle SD, or if it's user configurable based on the info above. When I break down and have to heave out the cash for one of these behemoths, I intend to know, since SD is going to be around in my world for quite some time to come.

Format button just like sd channel, just remember to go thru the cycle to get it back to normal for HD presentations.

BUT when it's an HD channel with SD broadcast being shown it will not stretch, it's actually more of a zoom, you WILL lose the bottom and top of the program.

gandia, visit the website in my sig, and read around here for more info about stretch-o-vision.

I just don't understand why someone would spend the money to get the best picture possible, then intentionally distort it just to "fill the screen".
[/I]

I get a run time error when I try to link to your stretch-o vision site
FYI Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts