How to wire 2 Hoppers, 4 Joeys and an HIC

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
As the title suggests, I'm trying to figure out how to wire 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys with the Hopper Internet Connector. I've reviewed the wiring diagrams, but don't see anything that exactly matches what I need. Anyone done this or understand how to do it?

A second question that could make the first question moot. As I understand it the HIC is necessary to allow full use of all receivers (DishOnline, DLNA, etc.) without running separate internet right? If I don't use the HIC what am I missing on all of the receivers that are not connected to my home network.

Thanks!!

On your second question you are correct: The HIC is used to provide internet connectivity to all devices without needing and individual line for each device.

On your first section here's a few scenariois to explain what you would & wouldn't get:
1. No HIC, but Hopper connected to the internet via Ethernet port or wi-fi dongle: Hopper and all connected Joeys access to Dish Online/Blockbuster@Home, but DLNA will not be available
2. No HIC, No Ethernet connection on any device: No DishOnline, no DLNA at any device

As to where the HIC goes in the wiring scheme of things. The 3 lines from the Dish will got to the Duo Node. From the None there are specific outputs for both the Hoppers and Joeys. One of those outputs will run to the HIC and the HIC connects to the Internet via Ethernet. Depending on your home's wiring it can stop there. However if you only have internet access near the location of one of the Hoppers/Joeys the HIC has a pass-thru port so the wiring can run Node->HIC->STB.

On your second question you are correct: The HIC is used to provide internet connectivity to all devices without needing and individual line for each device.

On your first section here's a few scenariois to explain what you would & wouldn't get:
1. No HIC, but Hopper connected to the internet via Ethernet port or wi-fi dongle: Hopper and all connected Joeys access to Dish Online/Blockbuster@Home, but DLNA will not be available
2. No HIC, No Ethernet connection on any device: No DishOnline, no DLNA at any device

As to where the HIC goes in the wiring scheme of things. The 3 lines from the Dish will got to the Duo Node. From the None there are specific outputs for both the Hoppers and Joeys. One of those outputs will run to the HIC and the HIC connects to the Internet via Ethernet. Depending on your home's wiring it can stop there. However if you only have internet access near the location of one of the Hoppers/Joeys the HIC has a pass-thru port so the wiring can run Node->HIC->STB.

But how does the wiring work for the Joeys then? The pictures I've seen don't seem to work with 2 hoppers and 4 joeys. For the 4 outputs:
1 - Hopper
2 - Hopper
3 - splitter to two joeys
4 - splitter to two joeys

HIC?

Yes, I have internet available at one Hopper location and 1 Joey location.

Good. The Hoppers will connect to the outboard (Host) ports of the Duo Node. Use a good splitter at each inboard (Client) port of the Duo Node to run to your four Joeys. The HIC has to be connected via a client line, so, at the Joey that will have Ethernet, connect the cable from the wall to the Home Video Network port of the HIC, then, connect the Joey to the Pass-Thru port of the HIC. Your done. I hope this helps.:)

As the title suggests, I'm trying to figure out how to wire 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys with the Hopper Internet Connector. I've reviewed the wiring diagrams, but don't see anything that exactly matches what I need. Anyone done this or understand how to do it? ........Thanks!!

I have two Hoppers and four Joeys all fed Internet via one HIC. Works like a champ. The HIC is just installed next to one of the Joeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)