How was your Install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TYORK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 6, 2004
indy
Post here you commits on you installtion and you installer

maybe we can find out the Bad apples!!!!!

tyork

Mine went well on the first try.

My installer was an independant installer and he enthusiasic about Voom and claimed to specialize in Voom installs.

His ladder wouldn't reach where my existing e* dish was so he left me the recievers to install (if I wanted to) and he went back to the shop/home to get the 40' ladder. there was no additional charge for having to go get the big ladder.

By the time he got back I had all three recievers installed except for the connection from the wall to the STB. He made me up three cables that I installed while he peaked the dish (I got 95). He struggled a bit with the OTA antenna (the Winegard Sensar). He tried hooking it up a couple different ways as well as trying a couple different multi-switches when he asked if I minded using the existing OTA antenna I had installed pre-Voom. He amped up the signal from it going into the multi-switch and I'm getting all of the Phoneix local channels with 85+ on all channels.

Once he called in to activate the boxes, we were watching HD news waiting for the firmware update. withing 30 mins the update came down.

My only snag was that the installer scanend for the locals before the firmware update and I was having trouble tuning in NBC consistantly after the update. I came to the forums which advised me to re-scan the locals after the update and everything is perfect now.

Two weeks later I upgraded to VaVaVoom.

Shawn

Mine was excellent.

The installer called me the day before to confirm the appointment and ask a few things about my location. Then, on installation day, he showed up right on time. He came with his crew from Advance Direct Link Satellite & Communications, a Houston-based subcontractor that works with Installs Inc. They brought all the equipment, were very polite and looked very professional. Their work was very quiet, with lots of attention to those minor details that really shows us, the customers, if they are doing a good job or not - stuff like making sure all cabling was securely attached to the outside railings, cleaning all the debris left after drilling a couple of holes through one of my walls, picking up all the packaging and making sure that I was happy with the location they had selected to install the dish. The whole install job was finished in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

After completing the physical installation of the dish and the stb, its activation and all required steps necessary for the service to be functioning optimally, he made sure I knew how to correctly operate the remote control and most relevant features about the service by giving me a brief but detailed explanation.

All in all, an A+ experience in my book.

I don't know if posting his full name is the right thing to do but if you want to know it, just let me know and I'll add it to this post.

the h
I would say that you have listed to company he work for should be ok but if someone should ask you can give his name.

t

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Yesterday I had "RUDY VALENCIA", his brother-in-training, and his uncle come to Santa Ana, CA from who-knows-where; they had no business card & no name on their vehicle. When I asked, he wrote his name and 323-992-8031. He tried to realign the existing dish for about an hour before replacing it with the upgrade dish branded VOOM which had been shipped to him. He spoke Spanish to train his brother, but politely apologized to me for not speaking English. He changed the wiring back to the 'Diplexer' style, and spoke bluntly about his opinion of the work done by previous installers.

He kept cutting lengths of coax from my existing cables to use for jumpers, and promised that I could receive replacement long coax cables from VOOM. His connectors were plated steel and several times he had to remake his end connections. Bottom Line: he arrived only a couple hours after the 08:24 ETA printed on the workorder fuulfillment sheet, and the VOOM reception is the best I have ever had. If Installs Inc. had not for several days refused to provide his phone number; we could have corrected the address the installer received and reduced his drive time.

The original installer DI-COM(562-628-1432) was closer, only 30 miles away, but they missed appointments they had confirmed, told me that the standard dish was adequate- the upgrade one was large and ugly, and that I didn't need it. They originally mounted the dish mast to a concrete block wall with plastic retainers which pulled out. When the dish assembly fell, the copper wire run for a ground to the electrical conduit on the roof pulled the conduit loose from the roof. They returned to remount the dish, and told me that I could just ground the coax cables inside my utility room upstairs (where the coax enters the buildig).

mike

OHMS,
Just to let you know the installer should have had cable on his truck voom will not ship this to you so if you want all the jumper taking out and a straight cable ran you will have to call Voom or installs inc and let them know that they install all the jumper cause they had no cable.

t

Great!! The guys who installed my system today were very helpful in setting up and showing me how to use the system.. My signal is very strong here in St. Louis. I would give them a 10 out of 10. Best part it only took 6 minutes per receiver to download, and they used my existing cable that I had with D*..

Arlo

TYORK, as you know, I've had a long and colorful association with getting VoOm installed. Not all VoOm's fault, not all Installs, Inc.'s fault, not all my fault. Different factors at different times have played into it all.

My current status is I'm reinstalled, have a 24" dish (branded VoOm, by the way!) and an upgraded OTA that is still giving me problems on my most-watched channel, which should not be a problem to receive.

My satellite reception is great, and I'm no judge of PQ, but from what little I've had time to watch so far, it looks pretty darn good to me! :)

Anyone interested can search for posts under my name going back to about May of last year for the full history. I'm currently in a holding pattern, with a good installer on hand, but am waiting until I can provide more specific details of when and how I have problems with my most-watched channel. It varies with time of day, not to mention the weather. May even be "channel related" as my most-watched and it's sister channel are both problems.

I just wish there were some way to weed out the bad-apple installers before they get to any customer's house.

People like TYORK and my current installer, Mark, with Shasta Electronics, are too few and far between; but I've seen this situation improving according to some posts here, and I believe it will be mastered...I just hope it's soon enough...with TYORK's help and new customers willing to report and refuse poor installation tactics, I think it will be!! Ever hopeful! Still confident!! Vicki :D

In December I had a guy from a company called Global out of CA show up here in Las Vegas. On time with all equipment. I already had a dish on the roof so he just had to replace the dish not the mount and he ran one coax, the other was already there. Everything went well and was working when he left. 4 days later it was windy and I had no signal from sat. Only OTA. I looked on the roof and the dish was facing into the ground. I have installed many systems for myself and know what I'm doing. I went up and re-aligned the dish and when I went to tighten the bolts they were ALL FINGER TIGHT. Some not even that. I think this guy was hoping on a call back just to rack up some more money. But I'm not sure. I've been fine ever since.

I've already posted about my install, but I'll do it here again.

My install was great. He showed up on time, was polite, listened to my requests and did his best to fulfill them. He got me super reception on my satellite and OTA (~95 and 97), and was willing to stay and show me how to work everything on the menus, program the remote, etc. (I didn't want to take the time, I knew I could figure it out, so he didn't do that, but he would've...)

I have since had to have someone come out again to retighten the dish, but we had been having some pretty gusty wind. But the good news is that he actually got me to a 97 sat signal strength!

Better yet, the Voom installers were very optomistic about Voom, and they didn't try to talk me into something else, or try and upsell me on my order. Overall, a pretty painless experience.

My install was scheduled for 3-15-04, Steve and John from "Digital Dimensions" in Corbin, Kentucky called to let me know they were on the way and be at my house in about an hour.

Since I live where sunlight has to be piped in they had a little trouble locating my house, but upon arriving they went straight to work. Since I already had a boom "OTA" antenna with a rotator they informed me that I should stay with it and forget the "Stealth" which I had already decided to do anyway.

Both gentlemen were very courteous and respectful of my property, had all the equipment required, and never took a break until the installation was complete. The only time I saw them a little upset was when it came time to confirm the install with "Voom", they were on hold for 21 minutes.

Once the system was confirmed, they stayed and went through the use of the remote and the different features of the receiver I was asked if I had any questions and I said no.

They cleaned up their work area and prepared to leave, I shook their hands and gave them two bottles of homemade blackberry wine for their efforts. A very pleasurable install, thanks John and Steve.

(North Alabama area) Digital Entertainment Plus, 2- no call / no shows out of 3 appointments (have an upcoming appointment with them next week for OTA upgrade). In2TV, 1- refused OTA upgrade workorder out of 2 appointments (did the original install after DEP dropped the ball, they only mounted the dish atop the mast and put the receiver in place, which were the only parts of the install I had not already done, still took them two hours and they left before the receiver had been fully activated). J & G Satellite never called / never showed for 1 appointment. Overall I give Voom CSR's a Good rating, Installs Inc. a Good for emails but only a rating Fair for their choice in installers (for my area). As for the installers, I rate Digital Entertainment Plus as Poor (used the same lame excuse everytime I called to ask why the installer/tech didn't call or show), In2TV, gets a Fair, and for J & G Satellite I don't have a rating that low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)