How will the Directv Installer run my cables to my box?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

belsokar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Ok, I haven't been with Satellite for a while, and previously, I had dish network. I plan on having a 3 room install,...a dual dvr in each room.

Room1: dual tuner HD TIVO
Rooms 2&3: dual tuner standard TIVOS

as far as I understood the technology a few years ago,...you no longer needed to run 2 cables to a dual tuner box...I was under the impression that satellite technology along with all the multiswitch magic allowed two "traditional" lines to be stacked into a single cable run...so in theory, I'd only need a single cable to each dvr...is that the case with directv? I'm just wondering ahead of time if there's anything I should be concerned with my directv installation next monday

thanks in advance!

belsokar said:
Ok, I haven't been with Satellite for a while, and previously, I had dish network. I plan on having a 3 room install,...a dual dvr in each room.

Room1: dual tuner HD TIVO
Rooms 2&3: dual tuner standard TIVOS

as far as I understood the technology a few years ago,...you no longer needed to run 2 cables to a dual tuner box...I was under the impression that satellite technology along with all the multiswitch magic allowed two "traditional" lines to be stacked into a single cable run...so in theory, I'd only need a single cable to each dvr...is that the case with directv? I'm just wondering ahead of time if there's anything I should be concerned with my directv installation next monday

thanks in advance!

DTV can't do that, E* can though. the DTV dish has a multiswitch in the LNB, and needs a smart multiswitch in the home to feed more than four tuners. so you will need a multiswitch 4X8 powered, and six lines leaving the switch, two to each of the Tivo's. if you want them (the jacks) in the wall, and don't want to have to pay the tech, or risk him rescheduling you due to complexity, have a good electrician run you high quality RG6 from somewhere near the outside electrical service to each of the prospective TV locations. make sure you have two high quality RG6 cables to each, encourage him to mark and bundle them as to location, and if finances allow, have an outdoor ( weatherproof) receptacle installed, as the switch will need to be plugged in (though that's not a big problem, the tech can run power over coax from a goodly distance, a receptacle just simplifies things). you will also need a phone line near each receiver, as the Tivo service is delivered in the dark of night by phone.

senior tech, north florida

Aghhh! That's not what I want to hear! Nothing against dish network, I really liked them when I had them, but they seem to be lagging in the High Definition department...and it looks like Directv will have the HD lead for a while...which is very important to me...

so that kind of bums me out, because I wanted to avoid worrying about 2 cables running into every room...

can the standard tivo's work off one cable? and only record off one internal tuner?

If you have to have 2 seperate lines to each tivo but only want one cable, not two being run and if money isn't an issue you can use a stacker/destacker setup, info here (your setup would run you about 800 bucks(the stacker and a dual-destacker for each tivo that needs 2 inputs), although you can always find a better price (ebay etc)):
http://www.9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm

boba said:
Volume production, subsidizing price, shoddy materials from the cheapest bidder. :)

it seems that directv has the larger volume of users, and probably a larger volume of dvr users who utilize the dual tuner capability...and that all these people wouldn't want 2 cables running to every single DVR they own...i suppose not everyone owns more than one, but its becoming more common these days

dishnet uses diseqc and stacking, because they developed their tech later,it's a bit more up-to-date. Backwards compatibility becomes an issue.

I'm not sure which co has more "standard" bandwidth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)