Howard Stern Lashes Out at Some Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tate said:
Yep those four people shut down Scotts show did they not?

A flop? They are doing quit well.

One thing you can always count on. Howard fans claiming they are only 4 O&A fans and O&A fans trying to mess with Howard fans. Can't we all just get along.

hoo hoo Artie

give me a number on what you thing o and a brought over to xm.

don't be afraid.

and if you give a number higher than ten thousand, you would be lying.

howard has given sirius, an easy two mil, and if i researched, it would probably be more.

Eric Goempel said:
When I lived in Indy I got to listen to the best morning show in the world, The Bob and Tom show!

Eric,

With all due respect, you are pretty desperate if you think Bob and Tom are good. If you were listening to them 20 years ago I would agree, but now they are garbage. We have had them here in Sin City for about 5 years, every now and then I turn them on, I figure what the hell, maybe I've changed or they have gotten better. About 5 minutes is all of them I can stand. I think the worst part for me is the fake laughter they do no matter how bad the bit is.

Last edited:
korsjs said:
give me a number on what you thing o and a brought over to xm.

don't be afraid.

and if you give a number higher than ten thousand, you would be lying.

howard has given sirius, an easy two mil, and if i researched, it would probably be more.

I agree that when O&A came over they did not bring alot of people. They did not have as much advertisement as Howard, but I do disagree with you that Howard has brought 2 million. Thats half of there subscribers.

korsjs said:
dragoon, eric, tate, damaged,

name one person on regular radio that can bring 20 percernt of 20 million of the audiance to satellite radio. and he is not done bringing people.

better yet name one person that could bring 10 percent over. the only person i can think of is rush.

you might hate stern, but to bad. it is already a success. sirius has already added three million since his signing and it is still going strong. sirius and stern have already profited greatly and you can not deny it.

Whoa, I never said I hated Stern, in fact I used to be an avid listener, but let's be real here, he is a corporation, his job is to make money, in his books he states plainly that this is what he does as a job, he is not like this in private life, it is an act, he is also a very smart man, so he knows how to manipulate the media, along with the average listener.

Just because I think his stuff is packaged and custum made doesn't mean I don't get entertainment out of it. :)

I have never listened to him on the radio, but as I said, I used to watch his TV show mostly for the quiz thing where people could come on and try to beat one of his sidekicks for a sum of money. Then they started having a guy named Beetlejuice on there who was like a black disabled midget.

The way they used that guy was shameful-one time he had tears running down his face. Most of the time, he was not capable of fully understanding how they were abusing him, but I guess on the day he started crying it finally dawned on him. That's when I lost all respect for Stern and I really don't care how many million people listen to him-that doesn't mean they are right. :down

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
I have never listened to him on the radio, but as I said, I used to watch his TV show mostly for the quiz thing where people could come on and try to beat one of his sidekicks for a sum of money. Then they started having a guy named Beetlejuice on there who was like a black disabled midget.

The way they used that guy was shameful-one time he had tears running down his face. Most of the time, he was not capable of fully understanding how they were abusing him, but I guess on the day he started crying it finally dawned on him. That's when I lost all respect for Stern and I really don't care how many million people listen to him-that doesn't mean they are right. :down

I understand where you are coming from, but another way to look at it is like this, because of Stern that little Beetlejuice guy probably made enough cash in residuals and other to have a pretty decent life, he got some fame, pretty girls around him (if just for show), experiences he would probably have never had, without a break like he got, Beetlejuice would have likely became another homeless statistic, It's all about perception. :)

Yes I agrree it seemed cruel to some peoples view, and I respect that, just trying to point out the silver lining.

damaged said:
It's all about perception. :)

Yes I agrree it seemed cruel to some peoples view, and I respect that, just trying to point out the silver lining.

Well, my perception is/was that it was completely shameful. Thanks for your point of view though. :)

korsjs said:

name one person on regular radio that can bring 20 percernt of 20 million of the audiance to satellite radio. and he is not done bringing people.

better yet name one person that could bring 10 percent over. the only person i can think of is rush.

you might hate stern, but to bad. it is already a success. sirius has already added three million since his signing and it is still going strong. sirius and stern have already profited greatly and you can not deny it.

Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck come to mind.

You dont have to like him but what he is saying is my objective is 20 million. He is a hard worker, smart at what he does, sets goals really high, obsesses about achieving those goals. It just comes off wrong to folks that dont like him or listen.

dragon002 said:
Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck come to mind.

he did say besides Rush. but I agree, I believe these gentlemen could really change the way we listen to radio. Do I have Sirius? No. Would I get it if Hannity or Limbaugh went to satellite radio? Yes.
I like Stern and I have thought about getting Sirius so I can listen to him. In the past, Stern wasn't made available here in my area. Personally I always said he should be. People tend to get up tight around here even mentioning his name.

Yeah, Bob and Tom are terrible. They replaced the Regular Guys in Atlanta for a year and were terrible. Not the least bit funny.

lakebum431 said:
Yeah, Bob and Tom are terrible. They replaced the Regular Guys in Atlanta for a year and were terrible. Not the least bit funny.

speaking of Atlanta, how about Bubba the Love Sponge being removed from 96 rock a few years back. I use to listen to him some and thought, Damn. I questioned somethings but I wasn't offended.

cablewithaview said:
he did say besides Rush. but I agree, I believe these gentlemen could really change the way we listen to radio. Do I have Sirius? No. Would I get it if Hannity or Limbaugh went to satellite radio? Yes.
I like Stern and I have thought about getting Sirius so I can listen to him. In the past, Stern wasn't made available here in my area. Personally I always said he should be. People tend to get up tight around here even mentioning his name.

IF rush, sean and glenn went to sat radio, it would be XM, not sirius.
sean has said as much. btw, all three say they have directv.

dragon002 said:

I know they all have DirecTV, but you go where the money is. Sean may leave out Sirius. I wonder if they did go to to XM, would it be added to DirecTV's line up? I haven't been to impressed with XM being added to DirecTV.

dragon002 said:

Absolutely correct. Sean has been on O&A a couple of times and he is very good friends with Opie.

Diamond Jim said:
Eric,

With all due respect, you are pretty desperate if you think Bob and Tom are good. If you were listening to them 20 years ago I would agree, but now they are garbage. We have had them here in Sin City for about 5 years, every now and then I turn them on, I figure what the hell, maybe I've changed or they have gotten better. About 5 minutes is all of them I can stand. I think the worst part for me is the fake laughter they do no matter how bad the bit is.

I have listened to Bob and Tom daily for 15 years+. No one brings what they have to the table. They actually have guests and let them speak. They are NOt shock jocks. They have a very respected show and all the top comedians vist OFTEN. Especially if you live in Indy and get the final hour where things get real fun,(not avalible on any station but Q95) And then the dicks picks show. Plus they give TONS of money to charity and do shows from exotic places and pay to take fans there to watch in person. Who else does this?

korsjs said:

F.Y.I This was already discussed in another thread, but Howard Stern only had at his peak average, 7.5 million listeners at CBS/Infinity Radio.

I believe that Howard is genuinely upset that he is not bringing over the number of Subscribers that he and Sirius thought he would. It is hard to say how much out of context he was taken, but lets face it the numbers speak for themselves.

Last fall and winter Sirius only gained 500,000 subscribers. They figure that majority of those new subscribers was due to people getting ready for Howard in January. Then in January they gained another 500,000. They figure that was due to people going about a week or so with out listening to Howard and finally "taking the plunge". Then from February through March they gained another 1 million. This puts them at 5 million now... (they had 3 million in the fall of '05). In the fall of '05 XM hd 5 million, and through March of this year, they now have 7 million. So when you do the math, XM did not need a big draw like Howard to gain those same 2 million subscribers that Sirius did, and they are not paying someone oodles of cash like Howard either.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Satellite radio should stop marketing the names and celebrities. I don't believe that this is why people are not buying satellite radio. They should start marketing the benefits of having Satellite radio over just tuning into FM/AM radio. Things like commercial free music stations of all flavors, and National Talk News channels not available over the Air. If they market these in a way that you see cable and satellite TV commercials going at each other, I think they would gain more subs in the same numbers that a big payroll guy like Howard did.

cablewithaview said:
speaking of Atlanta, how about Bubba the Love Sponge being removed from 96 rock a few years back. I use to listen to him some and thought, Damn. I questioned somethings but I wasn't offended.

Bubba's on Sirius 101 :)

Stern tried a few years back in Minneapolis. But he came up against a juggernaut. "The KQ Morning Show" (which IMO should be syndicated but Tom Barnard (the main guy) won't let it). Stern thought he'd walk into Minneapolis and kill the KQ morning show...

well Stern lasted less than 6 months and KQ is still going :)

And I have listened to Bob & Tom (they're on a distant station but I can pick it up pretty good) and other than a couple segments, most of what I've heard is blah. Nothing interesting

Like I said B&T are not shock jocks. They do not rely on that junk to be funny. They have awsome guests and a funny show. Considering all the markets they are in, I guess I am not alone. They are the top draw in Yougstown (where I listen now) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.