How's Voom Doing?

1. Voom is promoted as a specialized service geared for HD content. If the volume of SD your bag, Voom may not be the choice. HD is Voom's asset/niche.

I dont think most people want it to be an SD service but theres no reason they cant offer us a complete SD package (especially when its my only provider and I watch alot of scifi which I will have to not watch until VOOM adds it). I persoanlly like Vooms ;lineup right now. I could care less about local channels (which eat a ton of BW) and lame music channels, shopping networks, or bingo TV. Once they add a few missing IMPORTANT channels I think you will see the bickering from the SD-fiends drop. I know all I want from them right now is SCIFI and Fos Sports SW and maybe HGTV.... But you add those and voom in my mind would be complete.

calikarim said:
This forum used to be really a positive place to hear about and learn about voom. It has become so negative.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've learned alot about the "HD revolution" from this forum, but at the same time I get tired of the same individuals hopping up and down making VOom seem like it's public access television from space. The PQ issues aren't bad, I mention them and talk about them in an effort to get them resolved, but make no mistake I love my Voom. They are hands down better than the local cable and Dish. DirectTV has the resources, the subscribers, and the influence to make a serious push for HD. They don't, hell all these networks do as well and they don't. Aren't you tired of seeing things in SD? I want to yell at someone when I turn on NBC and see a nationally broadcast golf game in SD, or a Nascar race in SD, or a primetime show like Fear Factor in SD, or why isn't Saturday Night Live in SD? Because some people don't know about how great HDTV is, and most networks are lazy as hell about pushing it.

Not Voom.

If Voom suddenly had 5 million subscribers by middle of next year, what would happen? I forsee numerous networks scrambling to have a HD channel. Even if Voom doesn't have all the bugs fixed, I'm rallying behind them NOW, because if THEY fail, there's no telling how bad it could get for those of us actively seeking HDTV. Companies might view it as an even bigger "luxury" item than they had anticipated and charge more for carrying HD content than they already do.

Dvlos said:

If Voom suddenly had 5 million subscribers by middle of next year, what would happen? I forsee numerous networks scrambling to have a HD channel. Even if Voom doesn't have all the bugs fixed, I'm rallying behind them NOW, because if THEY fail, there's no telling how bad it could get for those of us actively seeking HDTV. Companies might view it as an even bigger "luxury" item than they had anticipated and charge more for carrying HD content than they already do.

Very true. Voom's failure would be a significant blow to HD generally, and it would severely slow down transition from SD to HD, IMHO.

I think this is what it all boils down to. We are fighting for our rights to watch television the way it should be watched, in HD. It makes me very angry when local stations, networks, or anyone, drags their feet about HD and makes it out to be some kind of non-important issue. I read a quote someone wrote on here the other day about their local station telling them if they want to watch their station just watch the SD feed and not worry about the DT feed. I emailed one of my locals this weekend about why are they broadcasting at 1.6kW when they are able to go 1000kW, I have yet to even get an automated response or anything. In fact their email address wasn't even listed on their website, I had to hunt for it elsewhere. It is just sad that those in position to make changes for the good of everyone do not give a damn.

kaw

andrzej said:
Very true. Voom's failure would be a significant blow to HD generally, and it would severely slow down transition from SD to HD, IMHO.

Exactly... according to surveys lots of people have HDTVs but most don't care about HD programming. Which isn't necessarily true, most companies don't fully advertise HD. Even DTV ads they advertise their great little 3 or 4 room basic system. Most people don't even know they can get HDTV from OTA for free. They just use it to watch their TV for DVD.

Now, every person that has a HDTV that has seen Voom at my house wants it. What does that tell me, that people don't want HDTV, no, that people need more knowledge of HDTV.

Since Voom and my HDTV purchase I have watched more TV than I have in the last 6 years. I actually LOVE coming home and checking the PG to see what's on. I CRINGE when I want to see something and it's in SD. I think when I see my first NFL game in HD I'm going to cry for 30 minutes then do my rendition of the Nutcracker down the block and back. I wish I had a button in my living room when a network broadcasts a sporting event or a show in SD that would activate a giant flag to pop up in front of them that says F-- YOO!!!!

So that's why I enfatuated with Voom, and appreciate them for taking the risk and building a HD first Satellite service. What kills me is the people that hop in here like "Yo where's all the SD?!?" If they can do it great, but I don't want SD over HD in any instance. As a matter of fact you can take back the Fox RSNs and USA if you can squeeze in Wealth HD? Will I watch Wealth HD yeah probably just for the simply fact its in HD.

Voom beats the pants off my local cable company, they just went digital within the last 6 months and just started offering broadband. When I enquired about HD, they said it's coming but don't hold my breath.

Unfortunately, I am stuck between Portland and Salem where Comcast is entrenched and until they buy out the local podunk operator, we will never see HD here. Comcast in Portland is getting ready to roll out the Moxi whole house solution later this year.

IMHO Voom is doing fine. I really enjoy the choices they have. That includes the Cinema 10 channels. However, Voom needs to bring back the zero down deal and required a 1 year contract. That will slow down people bailing out because a pixel was out of place. They need that forced loyality that D* uses.