How's Voom Doing?

Ditto guys, thanks for clarifying. Sean, I am not slamming Voom, I like the service, I just don't want people to become complacent with the PQ when it is NOT up to par.

Congrats to Vurbano for being a "Professional Engineer", whatever that implies.
I would just like to see a positive comment once in a while, instead of all this negativity.
If you dislike Voom that much, why do you have it ??

BTW, I am a "Professional Doctor" :D

ericdoc said:
Congrats to Vurbano for being a "Professional Engineer", whatever that implies.
I would just like to see a positive comment once in a while, instead of all this negativity.
If you dislike Voom that much, why do you have it ??

BTW, I am a "Professional Doctor" :D
Eric,

My title was not an attempt to somehow elevate myself above everyone else but rather to post a description of my profession and draw a distinction from a normal "engineer". As a doctor you do not have unqualified, unlicensed people running around calling themselves "doctors" because some company filled a vacant job position. The engineering profession does. Anyone with a degree or maybe less than a college degree can be an "engineer" by job title. But if you check it out, A person can only call themselves a "professional engineer" or practice as one as a consultant etc if they have the proper education, work experience and passed the appropiate state licensing examinations which are pretty much standardized accross the country in the same way a "doctor" or architect does. (for some reason the architectural profession doesnt have this problem but its rampant in my profession). This "professional engineer" is also regulated by the state board in much the same way a doctor is by the medical board and must hang his liscence in clear display in his place of business. And can also be sued for "malpractice or negligence" in the same way a doctor can. The typical "engineer" does not have these obligations. Sorry if you didnt like description under my ID. LMAO

PS I do not dislike voom. Darrel and I and many others know it can be better. Its a great idea, it offers the most HD. But it doesnt have a large sub base yet and the lumbering giant D* is making rumblings, launching more satellites, and promising more HD. Voom needs to have the most HD and the BEST PQ. Its window of opportunity closes a little each day.

DarrellP said:
Ditto guys, thanks for clarifying. Sean, I am not slamming Voom, I like the service, I just don't want people to become complacent with the PQ when it is NOT up to par.

I apologize DarrellP for misinterprating your remark. I read it quickly and was trying to do too many things at the same time. Sorry again. Now I understand what you were saying.

voomvoom said:
Not that it matters, but I'm a "professional slave" and actually get underpaid for it...
I think almost everyone is. We all have jobs and bosses. Even the bosses have bosses.

Voom may not be better than the other satellite services for HD picture quality, but they definitely beat out my cable service (though not by much).

Ken Thompson said:
Voom may not be better than the other satellite services for HD picture quality, but they definitely beat out my cable service (though not by much).
Yup, mine was in the stone age 6 months ago. But now they have shohd, hbohd, espnhd, discoveryhd, inhd1 and 2, pbshd, cbshd and are adding nbchd. when they get abc and upn, its gonna be time to make some cost comparisons. I think all of the cable companies have shot themselves in the foot by not having an OTA tuner in this digital transition phase.

You know, when a company enters a business to compete two already well established giants (such as Dish and DirecTV) then that company must be very different than its competitors. Voom can be different in just two ways:
One is to offer higher quality service for less money. Second way is to offer the same service like others but for much less money.
Currently, Voom has more HD channels with so-so content and so-so PQ for more money. If Dish or DirecTV adds just 5 more cinema-like channels, Voom would be out of business. That is why Voom must change as soon as possible.

I was a HD beta tester for Comcast in my area. Would not even consider having them as a HD provider as they only provide 6 HD channels. They charged extra for the INHD channels at the end of the beta period. I personally don't see what the hype is all about INHD. PQ wasn't that impressive and talk about repetitive programming! I had Dishnetwork for a few years. Not impressed with them either. I love my Voom!!!
Be patient guys, as soon as all the satellite companies have about the same amount of HD channels, then the PQ war will begin!!!!

r.jones1116 said:
Be patient guys, as soon as all the satellite companies have about the same amount of HD channels, then the PQ war will begin!!!!
I doubt that. Take a look at the state of the SD picture quality from the two top big boys. Obviously, it's about quantity. Not quality.

ChetK said:
I doubt that. Take a look at the state of the SD picture quality from the two top big boys. Obviously, it's about quantity. Not quality.

Yup. And this is true for their HD philosophy as well. If they add more HD channels I bet they will do so by slicing the bandwith. They are all about quantity. Do you guys really believe that E* is so concerned about the PQ on their HD channels?

Seawaves said:
With maybe a total of 4 channels of compelling HD.

Seawaves, another constant complainer, a guy who quit Voom still in here chit-chatting about Voom. If you only find 4 compelling channels of HD on Voom that's about all your going to find anywhere else. I'm sorry they don't have Bingo-HD channel, Shuffleboard-HD channel, and the Debate Club in HD Channels to keep you interested my man.

Give Voom a little credit, I love Voom Revolution only beginning.

This forum used to be really a positive place to hear about and learn about voom. It has become so negative. Just imagine if voom is gone, thanks to all our negative comments that are deterring people from signing on. I signed on in april because of one positive comment about voom that intrigued me to sign. Anyone coming to satellite Guys, would think voom is a third rate service, quite far from the truth. Voomers can watch Starz, Movie Channel, Encore, Showtime, HBO, Bravo, in HD. Starz plays movies that i would usually rent on DVD, like the ITalian Job, in 1080i beating any DVD format. Starz alone makes voom worth it.

If voom is gone, which will happen if we continue to bitch all day, and trust me that is what dish and direct tv want. Half these guy that come on this board are dissing vomm that don't even subscribe to it like Seawaves. Leave us alone . Voom will have new capacity after OCtober, increase bandwidth, give us a HD PVR. Just give it a few months. Dish still hasn't got their act together after over 7 years in the market. Look at the 921 fiasco, over 1 and a half year of bs. I threw mine away i had so many bugs with it . $1000 down drain. Voom is a small investment. I have spent over $20,000 in my home theatre . For a free STB and $100 a month in subscription i get over 40 channels in pretty good quality and first run movies on Starz , i am a happy camper.

Well said calikarim. I have not yet subscribed to d* or e* so I do not know the extreme difference in pq between them and v*. I have been interested in both of them as an add on serivce to voom just for hdnet and hdnet movies. From what I have heard V* hd channels are not the same PQ as D* and E* but they do give a much greater amount of hd (opened another can of worms with that comment) .What I remember I have seen is D* and E* have 8-9 of there own satellites and have been in business for about a decade. D* & E* focus (for the moment) appears to be on locals and multiple SD channels that appeal to people who want home shopping or speak foreign languages. Sometimes it seems like people forget the fact that V* does not have the same number of satellites, and has not been around for near the same amount of time. Voom is a new company that must mix things to find the right equilibrium. They have to have the quality of HD channels, and the variety of SD channels to appeal to everyone. It also appears that for the most part V* listens. We say that we need OTA scanning the give it to us (took some time), we would like multiple subscrition channels (they got them), we would like USA (got it), and we would like regionals sports (appears they are getting them). Some seem like obvious things that need to be done, and others not, but I do not see any of us starting are own DBS service. Constructive critiscm is always a very, very good thing, but sometimes it seems there is a lack of realistic expectations, and understandings if this service is to appeal to all the Joe Schmos, and/or Joe Millioniares (please excuse for the crappy reality tv comparison)

I know that yall are not getting it free because that would improve sign-up rates. Its cheap, but not free. It is 9.95 a box plus a $5-6 mirror fee for more then one box. Rkr for someone that always bad mouths vooms and appears to read a lot of the vooms forum I would have expected more.

Just my $.02. and I hope I don't get a lot of flack for it.

I TOTALLY agree with calikarim. I admire and appreciate VOOM for the service and the HD push that it has provided for this industry. Without it we would be back at our respected providers wondering about the next HD channel to be added to their service and wondering how much extra "EACH" HD addition would be to our bills. I am quite comfortable with the service that Voom provides and the $10 buck increase may not be as bad, but I have until next year to figure that out.

NOTE: I was paying about a $10 fee for D* HD Package. How many channels was that again? ;)

Now for particular points:
1. Voom is promoted as a specialized service geared for HD content. If the volume of SD your bag, Voom may not be the choice. HD is Voom's asset/niche.

2. Voom Exclusive Channels: I know there are varying opinions on this. I actually like the channels (especially Equator HD, Rave HD, Rush HD, Ultra HD). But cutting back on some of the Cinema channels and/or the Moov channel (which I find interesting) for the sake of bandwidth wouldn't be a bad idea.

3. (and finally) Voom's PQ: Being that I am migrating from D*, I don't see the drastic difference in PQ from D*. I do agree that as for PQ, HDNet is holding the bar but like someone said before, their content was lacking. Like most people, I don't understand the intricate details associated with bandwidth, bits per second, scan rates, etc. I just want a provider that gives me a superb audio and video experience. IMO, Voom's PQ is on par with everyone else. I think that we sometimes do an injustice to Voom when saying that the PQ sucks because honestly, it doesn't.

Now with saying all of the positive things there are some drawbacks. The major one is that Voom is new. New provider, new service, new technologies. It is still a little rocky but I have seen improvements along the way. Which tells me that they are focused on getting it right.

I guess to sum it up. This is the type of service that we all wanted. Voom is trying to facilitate that need. Let's not forget from which most of us came (D* or Dish) and their so-called HD initiatives. Let's go back to the forum of old, in which we offered constructive criticism about the service but still be supportive. This Voom hate movement has to stop.

Sorry about being long winded, but I had to get it off my chest.

Mike - Vooming since April

PS - If anyone is wondering, I still have D* because I love my NFL. D* niche.