HR 20 or HR 22?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mannye

Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
I have an HR 20 that I thought was malfunctioning because of "searching for sat 2" problems, and the fact that it would not allow a re-format. So DTV sent out a new HR-22.

The HR-22 is a far inferior unit as far as features. No RF, which I use, no OTA, which I also use. I am thinking that if I am able to resolve the satellite issues then I should re-install the HR-20 with all of its great features (even though it still SUCKS compared to TIVO) and return the HR-22.

Is there any reason to not do that, assuming the HR 20 isn't having any real issues?

Ummmmm was it a stupid question or something? Should it be obvious? Perhaps the 22 is so much faster that I might do well to give up the RF remote thingy?

I have an HR 20 that I thought was malfunctioning because of "searching for sat 2" problems, and the fact that it would not allow a re-format. So DTV sent out a new HR-22.

The HR-22 is a far inferior unit as far as features. No RF, which I use, no OTA, which I also use. I am thinking that if I am able to resolve the satellite issues then I should re-install the HR-20 with all of its great features (even though it still SUCKS compared to TIVO) and return the HR-22.

Is there any reason to not do that, assuming the HR 20 isn't having any real issues?
Why do you say the HR-22 doesn't do RF remote (since it does, the one I got even comes with a RF remote control). All you need to do is go through the setup menu to eneable RF for the remote, assuming you have an RF capable remote (has the FCC registration sticker on the back of it).

Why the HR22 doesn't have built in ATSC/OTA capability it can be added with the AM21 module. I'd call DirecTV and ask them to please send you a free AM21 since you had OTA capability before but the replacement box they sent you doesn't. Except for no built in ATSC tuners the HR22 has the same feature set as the HR20's plus it has a bigger harddrive in it allowing for more recorded content.

thank you for the response.

I went through the setup on the HR22 for the remote and it does not show the option of choosing RF or IR. Also,, unless it has an internal antenna, I don't see the hookup on the back for the RF remote antenna. Am I missing something?

thank you for the response.

I went through the setup on the HR22 for the remote and it does not show the option of choosing RF or IR. Also,, unless it has an internal antenna, I don't see the hookup on the back for the RF remote antenna. Am I missing something?

The HR22 has an internal RF antenna.

I just checked on my HR22-100 and it shows IR/RF setup. To get to it it's MENU, Parental, Fav's & Setup, System Setup, Remote, IR/RF Setup then press select when you get the "Remote Type | IR" and it should bring up RF as a selection.

If you go through the menu and get to signal meter, when you are on this screen, hit the reset button. This will preform a system check, find its settings and bring yur sat in 2( if you have a second cable attached or have a swm. do not intertupt this process. the signal meter choice is at the right corner in the signal strength screen. this will work with your hr21 or the 22.

I traded in my 20 for a 22 since I have no need for ota anymore and have not looked back. It does rf fine and the extra storage is great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts