HR-20 purchase

Status
Please reply by conversation.

render1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Littleton, Colorado
I'd like to purchase (not lease) an HR20. Have seen some advertised on e-bay with a note that D* may not be willing to activate them. If the seller can provide the receiver ID, is there any way to determine if it can be activated?

I'd like to purchase (not lease) an HR20. Have seen some advertised on e-bay with a note that D* may not be willing to activate them. If the seller can provide the receiver ID, is there any way to determine if it can be activated?
You can call DirecTV and ask. But why do you want to purchase not lease? The monthly charge is the same....

:welcome

There's been tons of threads in the past with the pros and cons of buying versus leasing. Being a cost benefit analyst, I never did buy into the buying conclusion. Its more expensive and it really does nothing for you except get out of your contract earlier. If you plan on jumping early, then why on earth go through spending $800 on a receiver only to have to flip it and take your chances on ebay? And as others have been able to do, you can get out of the lease and usually for a lot less then Directv originally stipulates.

My advice, forget the headache, cost and risk of trying to own one and get yourself a great lease deal especially ones where you can get them for free. It adds nothing extra to your monthly costs and if it dies, Directv replaces it.

If it's sold on eBay, 99% chance you will be screwed because unless the seller paid $750-800 for it originally, it's a lease and they cannot legally sell it. It's a scam.

If you really want to own it then you can order one directly from DirecTV for $750.

I already did this in another thread but I'll do it again here.

Buy/own:
$750 plus $4.99 a month mirror fee

Lease:
$199 to free plus $4.99 a month lease fee

Note, same monthly fee no matter what.

Early termination fee is $12.50 for every month left on your contract. So if you canceled the very next month it would be $300. Plus if you're gong to cable most cable companies will "buy out" what you have left on your contract to get you to switch.

So at worst, if you cancel right away, to lease it will cost you $500 with the termination fee. Which is still cheaper then if you own it outright.

And if the owned receiver dies you will have to pay for replacement unless you have the protection plan.

There is NO REASON to own it. None at all.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I'd never consider the $750 price for the HR20. They're just barely worth the $199 D* discounted lease price. The units I've seen have been selling for far less than $200 so it looked like a decent deal but only if activation was possible.

Unless you can prove to DirecTV that you paid $750 or so from an *authorized* dealer then they will activate it as leased, unless you can brow beat the right CSR that's in the last 10 minutes of their shift and they just want to get you off the phone. :)

Unless you can prove to DirecTV that you paid $750 or so from an *authorized* dealer then they will activate it as leased, unless you can brow beat the right CSR that's in the last 10 minutes of their shift and they just want to get you off the phone. :)

Not true. I just bought one that was previously activated on another account. Since the previous owner didn't return it and was charged a non-return free, D* no longer owned it and I was able to purchase. I now own it and did not have to take a 2 year commitment to activate.

(The CSR did have to transfer me to another department so they could look up the history on the unit.)

Not true. I just bought one that was previously activated on another account. Since the previous owner didn't return it and was charged a non-return free, D* no longer owned it and I was able to purchase. I now own it and did not have to take a 2 year commitment to activate.

(The CSR did have to transfer me to another department so they could look up the history on the unit.)

The point is...good luck with that. You are taking a big chance. Why bother.

I just scored an hr20 - 700 last night on ebay for $99. I figured what the heck worth a try. If it works out cool i saved a hundred bucks. If not, i guess i spent my rebate for the lease fee.

I just scored an hr20 - 700 last night on ebay for $99. I figured what the heck worth a try. If it works out cool i saved a hundred bucks. If not, i guess i spent my rebate for the lease fee.

You scored a lease one. I got one on ebay for 199 as well (already got deals from Directv and didnt want an install for reasons). So it should work but unless you force an issue, its a lease deal and not a bad one to boot.

There is NO REASON to own it. None at all.
You couldnt be more wrong.

1. If you own it then you do not have to sign a 2 year lease which has been confirmed by some "owners". If D* continues downrezzing then you can leave, sell it on ebay and break even. Otherwise you are SOL for 2 years..

2. It WILL be hacked by the people at dealdatabase sooner or later. DirecTV HD DVR (HR-20) & Other DVRs - DealDatabase Forum - Deals, Freebies, and TiVo & DirecTivo Hacking

3. Nextcomm will not be far behind either. Theyve already modified the 622 DVR.

4. Leaving inside a 300 gig drive is just stupid. If you own it you can crack open the case and stick in a 750 gig drive or even 1 TB. External drives and power supplies are likely to have a very low WAF for many.

1. If you own it then you do not have to sign a 2 year lease which has been confirmed by some "owners". If D* continues downrezzing then you can leave, sell it on ebay and break even. Otherwise you are SOL for 2 years..

I'll only address this point.

I've already pointed out the math that it's cheaper to lease and break the 2 year agreement the very next month then to actually buy it.

Plus the fact the 2 year agreement doesn't mean anything.
1) You can buy yourself out anytime
2) Any cable company will pay you for the early termination fee to get you to switch

But hey, whatever you want to do ain't no skin off my back.

2. It WILL be hacked by the people at dealdatabase sooner or later. DirecTV HD DVR (HR-20) & Other DVRs - DealDatabase Forum - Deals, Freebies, and TiVo & DirecTivo Hacking

3. Nextcomm will not be far behind either. Theyve already modified the 622 DVR.

4. Leaving inside a 300 gig drive is just stupid. If you own it you can crack open the case and stick in a 750 gig drive or even 1 TB. External drives and power supplies are likely to have a very low WAF for many.

Ok I will bite.

1. Break even analysis 101. Cost of NEW HR20, lets say $700. Monthly lease fees left out since mirroring and lease are equal. So lets say 2 year lease cost to quit is $300. Thats pro-rated at $12.50 per month. So lets say you plan on keeping Directv for 1 year, have a Vurbano and decide to leave. After 1 year your HR20 is worth $400 (this is being kind). Keep in mind, there will be a new model, the hard drive is older and its USED!!. The cost to get out of lease is $150. Value lost on HR20 is $300. You will be out $150 if you bought versus leased. Now you might be out less the closer to today but who wants to go through anything if you plan on leaving in the next few months. This assumes you get the HR20 lease for no up front costs. But you can see the less you have to pay up front, the better the deal. I was also being very kind on the resell price. Who the hell wants to pay $400 for a used HR20 to own when by that point they should be real easy to pick up for free lease. And the hassle of posting it, selling it, boxing it up, shipping it, etc.

2. Own to hack makes sense. But how many normal folks will do this?

3. OK

4. Adding an eSATA was one of the easiest things you can do. I debated about opening the case (you can always save the drive and will Directv really ever know you opened it??). The eSATA was painless and leaves me a backup plan if the eSATA drive goes. You can always shut down and reboot with internal. Its actually a good backup plan. eSATA enclosures only add $20-$30 cost.

So I dont disagree their might be a scenario or 2 that one will want to own. Go for it Vurbano. But for folks that just want HD and want to watch TV, dont bother.

I got D* to give me the HR20 for free last night. Just had to pay the $20 for shipping. Tried to get the discount on the Premier package too, but struck out on that one.

It appears that mentioning FIOS gets the reps attention. ;)

I got D* to give me the HR20 for free last night. Just had to pay the $20 for shipping. Tried to get the discount on the Premier package too, but struck out on that one.

It appears that mentioning FIOS gets the reps attention. ;)

Buzz words always help. Mentioning going to cable, telco, Dish Network, etc. triggers things on their end. Also threatening to drop highly profitable packages like NFL Sunday Ticket help too. The more you can provide about the competitor's package helps too. What helps most, being nice and patient. Good job Chris.

Plus the fact the 2 year agreement doesn't mean anything.

DO you generate an income somehow directly or indirectly from D*? Because Ive heard similar crap like that on a used car lot :rolleyes:

1) You can buy yourself out anytime

Buying yourself out costs money. i.e, you lose on the deal even if that means going to cable who will want you to make a commitment.

So I dont disagree their might be a scenario or 2 that one will want to own. Go for it Vurbano. But for folks that just want HD and want to watch TV, dont bother.
Oh so this is your way of saying that Bonscotts emphatic statement that "there is absolutely no reason to own, NONE" is dead wrong. Glad you agree.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)