HR-21 and Windows & Media Center

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

willywonkaisrsh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
North Carolina
I have an HR-21 and want to know if once I connect it to my home network if it will play MKV files off of my computer? Can you use the HR-21 as a Media Center Extender with Windows 7?

I don't know if Media Center will stream MKV files, but I was successful in setting up TVersity and getting HD MKV file to stream to my HR-21. If you try it you need to change the default video resolution from 640x480 to something higher. You may also have to disable the media streaming function of media center.

I don't know if Media Center will stream MKV files, but I was successful in setting up TVersity and getting HD MKV file to stream to my HR-21. If you try it you need to change the default video resolution from 640x480 to something higher. You may also have to disable the media streaming function of media center.

Thanks a lot.

Do you know if TVersity will play 1080p content and also support 5.1?

Thanks a lot.

Do you know if TVersity will play 1080p content and also support 5.1?

It will depending on how fast your processor is. You can set it to pass through the audio without changing it to get 5.1. It will take a powerful processor to transcode 1080p on the fly. I am running on a 2.6Ghz Quad Core, but I have only tried 720p content. It handles that without a hitch.

It will depending on how fast your processor is. You can set it to pass through the audio without changing it to get 5.1. It will take a powerful processor to transcode 1080p on the fly. I am running on a 2.6Ghz Quad Core, but I have only tried 720p content. It handles that without a hitch.

I can get Tversity to play audio, pictures, and other video files. But when i try and play the MKV files, it goes black for a few seconds then a message comes up saying something like "The rate of this video is to high to play".

My setup is Windows 7 x64, a 3.4ghz quad core, a wired connection, and an HR-22 (thought it was a HR-21)

I cant imagine that a HR-21 would play MKVs but not an HR-22. Can you please help me in order to get it to play.

Did you try having Tversity down convert the video to 720p and see if the HR22 would play the file then? It simply may not be able to handle it.

Did you try having Tversity down convert the video to 720p and see if the HR22 would play the file then? It simply may not be able to handle it.

The HD MKVs that I'm trying to play are 720p. I have not even tried to play 1080p yet. Why would your HR-21 be able to handle 720p MKVs but my HR-22 would not?

I haven't tried in a while. Some people are saying the new software DirecTV just pushed out messed up a lot of people using Tversity. There are a couple of setting to check.

General Settings:Media Playback Device
There should be 3 DirecTV options there as well as a MPEG1/MPEG2 option. Try those and see if any of them work.

Trascoder Settings: When To Transcode:Always
Trascoder Settings:Maximum Video and Image Resolution:1280x720

Make sure you have the right codec installed ffdshow or Combined Community Codec Pack and Haali Media Splitter

I was able to get a 720p file to play on my HR21, but it only played at 480p. I know it was streaming 720p because I could view the stream on another PC and it was fine. I think the HR21 can talk to Tversity and tell it what it is capable of. It may only be able to handle 480p. I'm not sure.

Media Playback Device was set to Auto
Video 1280x720
I have a wired connection between them.

I couldn't get any video with AC3 audio to play correctly either. It was always garbled.

I was able to get a 720p file to play on my HR21, but it only played at 480p. I know it was streaming 720p because I could view the stream on another PC and it was fine. I think the HR21 can talk to Tversity and tell it what it is capable of. It may only be able to handle 480p. I'm not sure.

Media Playback Device was set to Auto
Video 1280x720
I have a wired connection between them.

I couldn't get any video with AC3 audio to play correctly either. It was always garbled.

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like trying to get MKVs to play with Tversity and any HR-xx is a load of bull. I will try the settings you recommended and post my results.

It would be nice, but I kind of gave up on it a while ago. I have a pc hooked to my main tv running XBMC, so I haven't messed with it much more.

Found some more info about the limits of HR2X and media share from another forum.

Here is the catch -
You can set it up resize limits 1280x720 and it will work
Then you have to setup TVersity to 'downconvert' it to 854x480 - the HR2x will choke on the higher resolution

Sounds like there is no chance of HD through an HR2X box.

Found some more info about the limits of HR2X and media share from another forum.

Here is the catch -
You can set it up resize limits 1280x720 and it will work
Then you have to setup TVersity to 'downconvert' it to 854x480 - the HR2x will choke on the higher resolution

Sounds like there is no chance of HD through an HR2X box.

Thanks. That really sucks. I dont understand why the box would be limited to SD when we all know it will handle HD just fine?

Status
Please reply by conversation.