HR-21 question, turn off or leave on

Status
Please reply by conversation.
no cant be....because before this dvr i had just a regular receiver and when it was off it was totally off/quiet and it still came on when i had the timer to set to record something to the dvd recorder.

The unit stays in standby mode, not off, because it need to be buffering at all times because it doesn't know when you might want to rewind or pause or go back and see something you may have missed that was just shown.

Jimbo

The unit stays in standby mode, not off, because it need to be buffering at all times because it doesn't know when you might want to rewind or pause or go back and see something you may have missed that was just shown.

Jimbo

yea but i was saying why does it have to buffer when its off....obciously im not gonna rewind etc. when im not even watching tv

yea but i was saying why does it have to buffer when its off....obciously im not gonna rewind etc. when im not even watching tv

If it's not buffering and you come home and want to see the show that is currently on, you can back it up and see it.
I do that alot with ST Voyager, it comes on at 4, I get home at about 4:45 and rewind it if it's one I haven't seen, this happens as long as I remember to turn on the correct channel when I leave in the morning.... (I just haven't decided to record it at this point)

Jimbo

If it's not buffering and you come home and want to see the show that is currently on, you can back it up and see it.
I do that alot with ST Voyager, it comes on at 4, I get home at about 4:45 and rewind it if it's one I haven't seen, this happens as long as I remember to turn on the correct channel when I leave in the morning.... (I just haven't decided to record it at this point)

Jimbo

but if i wanted to see that show i could just have easily taped it....id still rather have it sit nice n quiet n cool when its off than to have 1.5 hours of show in the noisy buffer.

It needs to be powered (with the disk spinning) in case they want to push any updates or showcases. I checked the power usage of my HR20-700 and it was 41 watts in both on and standby. If you remove power, it takes several minutes to start up, including downloading any guide updates. The non-DVR receivers are also on when in standby, but without a disk or fan, you don't hear any sound.

Twice now, I have been unable to turn it on after it was in standby over night. It wouldn't repsond by the buttons on the front, nor the remote. I had to reboot to get it back. If it continues, I will be giving D* a call about this..
This happends to mine too, HR20,though, And to some of my friends receivers as well,. If you turn it on and just leave it alone for a few minutes it will function. I've talked to D* after "RAD" sent me the emaill addess for CEO office," Thank you Rad",and they called back and KNEW of these issues I was having and admitted they don't have a fix for that yet. They said they would send me an HR21 as soon as possible ,But Now I see it happends with them too. So I'll just keep mine then for now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)