Please reply by conversation.

rugmankc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Ohio
I have just ordered upgrade to HD service
DT customer 13 years

I know they will install new dish, although I have 3LNB dish and thought I was told a couple years ago it was HD compatible

I am under the assumption not to let DT bring out receiver as it may be refurbished and an older model.

Want to buy HR24 for only one TV. HR24 is SWIM with one RF in is what I read

When the installer arrives and I have my HR24 in hand, I believe I will need two B converters I can buy on Amazon or ask DT to send out

What do you recommend for my situation--

1. Let them bring receiver or order
2. Buy 2 B converters or try to get from DT--assume they are just two small boxes to split signal before box?
3. Am I on the right track here or missing something
4. Want no surprises on install day

Thanks for your help--have only 2 days to let DT know about receiver

Ken

welcome :wave
In a lot of areas they install a SWM setup to begin with so you would not need the BBC converters

What receivers do you have currently?

Thanks Iceberg

I have an old DRD receiver as far as sat goes, that will be turned in--want to buy the HR24 as opposed to getting from DT

I will have a Denon 2311CI AV receiver all HDMI connections to Sony HX729

Hope that answers your question

DT rep said I will need two cables run to receiver if I don't want SWIM and if I do a HDDVR and buy from them another receiver for a cost

I just want the HR24 (know it has only on input) to one tv and don't care if another cable needs run, unless I can avoid it

Not up on SWIM and exactly what it is or what eqpt it entails installing

Well, a little confused. Amazon reviews say HR24DVR has one Sat RF in, but DT website says two. If it has two, then I need to do nothing but have tech run a second line.

Can that be confirmed?

EDIT: Read this--H24 and HR24 installed on systems that DO NOT have a SWiM Switch require B-Band Converters
So, I guess I need a SWIM switch installed or B-Converters

So, I guess I need to know if tech will install SWIM switch--DT want, I believe, $199 for it. May be wrong on that amount.

Ken

Last edited:
the DVR's have 2 satellite inputs

If you have a SWM setup done (the installer might do that) you only need one line from the LNB to the receiver. No BBC's are needed.
If they give you the regular LNB (that has 4 outputs) then you need 2 lines from the LNB to the receiver and the BBC's are needed for HD

If you talk to the installer he probably has a SWM setup in the truck. My installer did. He didnt want to run 4 lines in -4 temperatures that day when I already had 2 lines from the roof (I had 2 DVR's and a HD receiver). There's no price difference on a SWM setup versus a "regular" LNB setup

Thanks again Iceberg,

I now understand thanks to your replies and have been researching, so I now know what the B-Converters do

I am trying get a hold of last tech to my house and have him back out. He can resolve the Converter/SWM issue. Worst case, I will buy converters or have DT do the SWM. All of this is zero cost so far. Unless I have DT do SWM then more money. Doing the B-Converters purchased by me or provided by DT is no cost so far. Haven't asked DT about Converter cost yet.

Is the HR24 the best unit to get, I don't know if there is a newer, and really don't want to spend 300+ on more GB

Ken

Ordered the HR24 and DT will send Converters with tech

They think they hook up SWM automatically to make future ugrades easier--no cost--I will follow up on that and still contact last tech out

Good chance I will have SWM anyway

Thanks for all the help Iceberg

Waiting for my new HDMI TV and components and July 12th upgrade to HD :)

Been on CRT forever

Ken

Thanks again

Your recommendation makes me fell good about my choice

Ken

One last question :)

In upgrading to HD does my current coaxial cable need replaced. Not aware that it will carry HD signals and DTV said they would use same cable.

Have tried to contact skylink, who is doing upgrade. They have been out before over the years. But, all I get is a recording and they won't return my messages. Want to finalize the SWM issue with them. Are they still reputable?

BTW: DTV is sending free Converters if needed

Ken

unless you have some old RG59 cable the cable you have will be fine. I have regular RG6 in my setup

Thanks Iceberg

Not sure, Satellite has been installed since 97 or 98 and don't remember if they changed it. Although, I vaguely remember a tech running new line for some reason maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Guess they can see and I will make sure it is RG6. Been decades since my tech days, is the RG6 fatter. This seems fairly small in diameter, like I remember years ago.

Finally got an email reply from skylinktv, so hopefully some of this will be resolved today. Then I can call DTV tonite and let them know exactly what tech will be doing. They didn't want any last minute surprises.

Thanks

Ken

harshness,

thanks for the input

I have been researching as I post here (believe it or not :))

Did find out thru the research and a rear panel pic of HR24 that it does have two and one is labeled SWM

Ken

This is not correct. All current HR24 models have two "legacy" inputs and one of them doubles as a SWiM input.

that was already corrected in a post on the 21st
the DVR's have 2 satellite inputs

If you have a SWM setup done (the installer might do that) you only need one line from the LNB to the receiver. No BBC's are needed.
If they give you the regular LNB (that has 4 outputs) then you need 2 lines from the LNB to the receiver and the BBC's are needed for HD
but thanks for playing

I lied :)

Another question:

I now have all new HD components and the TV

Upgrade install on the 30th

DTV says I can hook up all the new items to include the HR24 HDDVR

Call them to activate card and still receive SD TV thu the HR24 till Thurs when HD Dish will be installed. They will probably start billing me for HD service on the day I call, no big deal.

Is this accurate in that I can use the HDDVR to receive my SD DTV channels thru my SD Dish till the 30th?

It would seem true since all channels are not HD yet anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, the sd dish will work with the HR24, just no hd channels, of course.

Thank You raoul5788

Thought it should, just would hate to set it all up 3 days in advance and find out it won't work

Ken

Glad to help! BTW, my name's Chip, Raoul is just a screen name.

Thanks Chip

Forum Members have been great helping me out. Been under a time constraint, so quick replies were greatly appreciated.

New to HD, kinda a vacuum tube era guy. :)

But, maybe with 13 years of DTV service, I can help someone else in return.

Ken

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)