HR-24 Over heating.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BatteryDude1975

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I believe the fan in my HR-24 has quit working cause I get a message saying that my reciever is to hot and it goes into cool down mode, but never cools down. I have to unplug the reciever to let it cool. Never hear the fan running. After plugging it back in it works fine until the same over heating message comes back up.

I know I can just call and get it replaced, but for afew reasons I dont want to do that unless its just a have to thing. For 1, I have alot of movies on it. 2nd, Ive read that if you get it replaced that Directv might send you an older model reciever and I dont want that. 3rd, My contract ends in about two months and was planing on trying to upgrade to the HR-34, but im afraid if I get a replacement reciever now that they wont help me out then.

What I was wondering is. Can the fan in the reciever just be replaced with a new fan? Ive seen on Ebay someone selling fans that they say will work in the HR-24. Anyone try this?

Thanks!

You could replace the fan, but that might void the warranty. If you are going to replace it, maybe you should wait a couple of months when your contract is up. Have you called and asked about upgrading to the HR34 now?

I think if you replace the fan you'd be fine. For as many posts as I've seen about people opening DVRs and swaping hard drives or fans, I've never seen a post where someone was charged for the DVR because they sent it back and the silver "warranty void" sticker was missing. Then you get to keep your programs.

I think the diagnostic testing has a fan test, but maybe not, haven't been in there in a while (press select on blue screen boot up when on the third screen if I recall.

Another option would be to get a usb fan and place it on the vents.

I think it would be tougher to get enough cooling that way. The HR24 hard drive is enclosed in a plastic shell with a fan on the end that exhausts the heat, and the temp sensor is from the hard drive. I guess you could try to find a small 50mm fan that you could somehow attach to the exhaust fan place on the back, but it would be better to replace it.

The older HR20 for example just had vents on the top and that solution was easy, just use a laptop cooler, I ran an HR20 that had a dead fan that way for a year plus.

I didn't know how the HR24 was configured. I thought it was like the HR20s.

Thanks. I would really like to upgrade it to a HR34 cause my wife and I record alot of stuff through the week, but was just thinking it might be better to try that after my contract is up just in case they are willing to help some.

I currently have two HR24s and a H24 with whole home service. If I switched out the HR24 for a HR34 would it be as simple as just switching recievers out?

Thanks.

If I remember correctly, doesn't a new commitment for an equipment upgrade just restart the clock when he orders it and wipes out anything left on the old one? It was my understanding that nobody can have more than a two year commitment. If that's the case, with just a couple of months left, he might as well call and see what kind of deal he can make now instead of waiting.

You are right markfp-1, but if you are in a commitment, it's less likely they will give you a good deal.

You are right markfp-1, but if you are in a commitment, it's less likely they will give you a good deal.

You might be right, but I'm thinking with only a couple of months left they might be willing to give him a good deal anyway. After all, that way they'd know they got him on the hook for two more years instead of giving him time to shop the competition. Besides, if he doesn't like what they say he can always wait and call back when his commitment is up.

You might be right, but I'm thinking with only a couple of months left they might be willing to give him a good deal anyway. After all, that way they'd know they got him on the hook for two more years instead of giving him time to shop the competition. Besides, if he doesn't like what they say he can always wait and call back when his commitment is up.

Absolutely true!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts