HR 34 vs HR44

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fashionita

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Alabama
I sorta asked this in another thread, but I think it got lost in the conversation.
Is there any difference in the hook-up of the two devices? It seems to keep the functionality of GenieGo, which is going away, I'll need to upgrade my equipment. Currently, the signal coming out of my receive is split and also goes to a DVD recorder. I specifically asked for this before agreeing to change to DirecTV. The installer originally said it couldn't be done, but when I said it was a deal breaker he figured out a way to do it. Also, getting to the back of my boxes is quite difficult, plus my TV hangs on the wall and I don't want to have to take it down to run more wires. So, I'm hoping we can just unplug the box and replug everything back into the new box and it all works the same.

We won't be going to 4K anytime soon, so don't want the HR54. We only recently upgraded from tube TV to a Smart TV. Plus, hubby keeps looking at ways to totally cut the cord, but I don't want to give up football and the ability to channel surf.

iirc the 44 has the same connections as the 34
its the 54 that made changes, but you can get adapters, again iirc

if you get an upgrade directv considers the 34/44/54 all equal unless its a 4k upgrade
it really depends on what the tech has on the truck

are you planning on buying yourself?

how are you connected to the dvd recorder?

Actually, after feeling around back there, instead of a splitter since these are not coax lines, I think they ran the signal through my DVD recorder.

does it use component cables?
with current hdcp implementation hookup method is important to know

I do not plan on buying myself. I got an E-mail from them that GenieGo is going away and they are upgrading their app to do those functions. In order to use the full functionality of the DirecTV app, you need to upgrade your receiver. They are offering a complimentary upgrade without a new programming commitment. Someone on the other thread said they offered him the HR44.

it will depend on whats on the truck. if they offer a 54, take it. you can work with it

but we need to know your exact connection system first. for either receiver

I think it is component. Those are the plugs with red, yellow, or white on the ends, right?

yeah, you would need this from a 54, tech may or may not have it on the truck

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...=10pincompos&gclid=CPWq7JGGv88CFYlbhgodOTcMAQ
cleardot.gif

Here's a pic. Does that help? I need more hands.

Attachments

• IMG_20161003_112458393.jpg
    IMG_20161003_112458393.jpg
    976.7 KB · Views: 146
for 4k you would need the higher tier plans, and also a c61k mini
you cant do 4k with just an hr54

Now, I can't remember which we got first, the TV or the DirecTV, I'm thinking we got DirecTV first. So, the HDMI cable must've been added when we got the TV since the recorder is not HDMI compatible. We had a professional installer for the TV, but we ran it for a month or so before having it put on the wall, so, in that case I think I would've been the one to hook that up. But, the HDMI would be going directly to the TV whereas the components are going through the recorder, so why would the TV need to be on to record?

the hdmi connection will be sensed by the unit
if the tv is off, hdcp can block the signal

its to prevent copying, exactly what you are doing with the recorder

I'll have to test it. No biggie anyways since I can no longer use the scheduling part of the recorder unless I know I'm going to be watching anyways. Otherwise, it would just keep recording. Since my viewing habits are not necessarily mainstream, I don't want to be beholden to some streaming company to have what I want to watch. It's not illegal to copy, so I don't know why they want to keep me from doing it. It's for my own personal use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts