hr receiver question and recommendation requested

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
my hr-24-500 is dying (freezing and having to reboot it) and I need to replace it. I have a 5 lnb non swm slimline dish. am I best off replacing it with another hr24 or is there a better alternative?? I`m not familiar with the genie or other receivers. also, where is the most cost effective place to purchase the receiver? I saw new in the box hr24s for $100 on ebay..

Be aware of receivers bought online. Get its Receiver ID and call DirecTv's access card dept to verify that the receiver isn't already on an account.
Regardless of where you get the new receiver, you'll be in a 2 yr commitment.

Look around here on the forum to learn about the HR44. Note that the HR44 (Genie) requires the SWM setup, so if you go that route you'll need to upgrade.

Do you have to purchase it? If you call DirecTV, they'll replace it for a 19.95 shipping and handling fee (which if you complain about, they'll usually waive). They cant guarantee what model you'll get but most likely it will be an HR24 or an HR23. If your not worried about a 2 year commitment, they might offer you a free Genie, but thats up to you.

Categorically speaking, DIRECTV doesn't want you to buy a DVR (or a receiver for that matter). They want to be able to recall it when it no longer meets their needs and that's not as easy if they don't own it.

If you're concerned that a replacement won't come to you home because you're falsely claiming to live somewhere else, you'll still have trouble as the recovery box isn't going to get to you.

thanks for your replies and suggestions. I`m not condidering the hr-44 because I don`t want to change my lnb. I understand that dtv will not ship a replacement receiver to my billing address which is different than my service address.
would there be a concern in purchasing a new in the box hr-24 on ebay??

my current hr-24 is a unit I purchased but it is considered leased. the shipping box for my old receiver was sent to my billing address. that was 2 years ago.

If you do get one from eBay or somewhere similar, follow jspencer's advice and contact the access card department to verify whether or not it's actually owned. I have no idea what harshness is talking about regarding Directv recalling their equipment.

I still get confused why so many people are afraid DTV will find out where they physically live.

If buying a box from an unlicensed vendor (most of the boxes on ebay) you will still be leasing it from DTV .As others have said and I will say it again. Definitely get the numbers off it and call DTV to make sure it can be activated BEFORE YOU PAY FOR IT. Why not throw a bone to one of the sat guys sponsors and suggest you look at the receivers at Solid Signal

Be aware of receivers bought online. Get its Receiver ID and call DirecTv's access card dept to verify that the receiver isn't already on an account.
Regardless of where you get the new receiver, you'll be in a 2 yr commitment.

Look around here on the forum to learn about the HR44. Note that the HR44 (Genie) requires the SWM setup, so if you go that route you'll need to upgrade.

If they go that route, they will want to get it thru D* as they will cover the upgrade of Dish and switches needed.

If you want to avoid D* for fear of location issues, go to Solid Signal and have them send you a box, there you can get what ever model you decide you want ... it too will be a lease, but they WILL send it to whatever address you give them, within the USA.

my intent in replacing my receiver is not to own it, lease is what I currently have.

my intent in replacing my receiver is not to own it, lease is what I currently have.

Thats good because it's really hard to own recvrs anymore and with the constantly changing electronics, owning one would not be a smart thing seeing you can easily upgrade when you so desire when leasing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts