HR10-250 and OTA freezes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
I apologize for starting a new topic because I saw this somewhere but can't find the post to reply to. Anyway, I had the HR10-250 working fine with my local OTA HD channels for the past few months with occasional freezes and pauses. In the past couple weeks though I am getting a lot more. I tested the signal strength on those particular channels and it was always above 80 and usually 88-90. Nothing else has changed in my setup.

I read that with this OTA tuner, that you need to reset the receiver occasionally. I have done that a few times but have not seen any improvement.

Any idea what else can be done? If it matters, these are Houston OTA channels.
Thanks,
Jeff

bump

I meant to say in the post that I "restarted" the receiver. Someone said it could be "reset" which would wipe everything out but I couldn't find that option other than simply deleting the lists and such. Is there a way and would that possibly solve this problem?

What you are describing sounds like a dynamic multipath problem. This can be caused by things such as wind blowing nearby trees around. If you check your OTA signal strength when you start seeing dropouts/freezes, you will see a signal suddenly drop from 80+ all the way to zero, then back to 80+. The only thing you can really do to try and improve this is a better OTA antenna. I have the same issues on my HR10-250, and sometimes when the weather is bad, I just can't watch OTA HD with the HR10. Restarting the box does nothing to improve this issue.

Thanks for the reply. It's just that it has gotten remarkably worse in time and since nothing has changed, figured it had to be the box. Guess maybe it's the weather then so all I can do is wait for the new HD DVR with the better OTA tuner.

With multipath problems, the height of your antenna can be critical because of strong signals bouncing off the ground. Higher is not always better in this case. Try moving your antenna up and down + or - about 10' and see if that helps.

I have this exact same problem with severe and intermitten signal drop off with picture loss on stations with strong signals, I ran the antenna cable DIRECTLY to my Sony hdtv which has its own tuner built in, instead of to the H-10 box as I had it at first, and it helped with over all signal strenth, but still have the drop off problem. Am considering a different antenna such as the motorola 4228 instead of the terk model that I currently have on the roof. Hope this will be the fix. Will let you know.

New to this forum:)

I have been experiencing this exact same problem. However there have been no known changes in the environment. Weather has been the same, have these issues during still sunny days, windy sunny days, still cloudy/overcast days, and windy-rainy days. During any of these conditions the problem is intermitting.
I have been with D* for 3.5 yrs. HD programming & HR10-250 for 9 mos now (of 2yr agreement). Installed CM3020 7 months ago for OTA HD and running thru HR10-250. Problem is in the last three weeks the OTA has been squirrelly. NBC and CBS signal strength of 92 - 98 and ABC had been 88 - 92. All with great picture quality until the last three weeks. ABC had dropped to 25-45 and would not draw in a picture or would be unwatchable. The other two seemed fairly un- affected with the exception of the occasional freeze for a split second. Now all signal strengths are back to where they were with very strong signal strength but I am getting a lot of pixilation, breaking up, and audio drop outs on all channels. It's not all the time but enough to interrupt a program and be very irritating. Sorry for the long post but was curious if it could be the HR10-250? Does anyone have a known fix for this if in fact it is the stb? I am running coaxial from the roof mounted antenna straight to the HR10-250. No amps or splitters.
Thanks for any input!

are all the broadcast towers in the same general direction? depending on your distance to the towers, a directional uhf yagi type antenna may help, because they are bit more resistant to multipath issues.

rmmrph said:
are all the broadcast towers in the same general direction? depending on your distance to the towers, a directional uhf yagi type antenna may help, because they are bit more resistant to multipath issues.

All in same general direction and from 29.4 to 31 miles away. Will the yagi be more effective than the directioal cm 3020?

My issue is similar... weird..... my breaker box is on the other side of the wall from my tv and such and as a result a lot of power interfearance is expected... well I have my big ass antenna mounted in my attic and the wire run all the way across and down a far wall... it amkes the run total about 15 feet so its not bad. but whenever my fridge or AC kick on the signal freezes for half a second... its weird but not too annoying. Ive even tried some quad shield to no effect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)