hr10-250 "f" version software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

free-1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I am on my third hr10-250 receiver, and have had nothing but problems. The first one wouldn't get the 720P res, the 2nd one had problems with component out, and now the 3rd one has hdmi-dvi problems (the picture looked very ghosted). Finally talked to a hi-tech rep who asked about my software version. Originally is was 3.1.5d, the tech said I needed to reboot the box for the upgrade of software to be downloaded and after the upgrade (24hrs time frame) I should check the software version and there it was 3.1.5f - hooray!! I thought we had a successful box - but NOOOOOOOO..... with the new upgrade I'm not able to get any signal past res 480i - not 480p/720p and 1080i just blips on the screen. I went back and checked all of the system info and there was a line reading "HDCP not enabled".

I have never had a problem with HDCP going through before on my original hd receiver (dtc-210 - all res' worked perfectly) only since I've started with this hd-dvr have I had any problems. Now I just finished talking to a hi-def tech at D*, and she freely admitted that there are problems with these hr10-250 boxes even after the software upgrade the box may not work with your hdtv set. She suggested that I use "component cables" until they (D*) come out with another hd-dvr box. I was excited when I got this for the $299 <$100 rebate but now I think I'll just live with my dtc-210 and forget about dvr service until I get a hi-def dvd recorder. Any suggestions on fixing this problem???????? :no :confused:

I don't know if you'll be able to fix it.

I concur with the rep that you should use Component Inputs for now. They will look 90% as good as HDMI.

A Hi-Def DVD Recorder is at least a year away from reality.

The DVR is really worth it.

I agree that the dvr is worth it......., if it works that is. The component does not work either after the software upgrade. All I'm getting now is 480i - and that is unacceptable with all the money spent on the hdtv monitor, new dish and all. Any suggestions on a different hd-dvr stb???

free-1 said:
I agree that the dvr is worth it......., if it works that is. The component does not work either after the software upgrade. All I'm getting now is 480i - and that is unacceptable with all the money spent on the hdtv monitor, new dish and all. Any suggestions on a different hd-dvr stb???
Well you could switch to DISH Notwerk and their 942 but then you would absolutely love the HR10-250. HDCP not enabled is High Definition Copy Protection which should have no effect on your HD being delivered to your TV. :)

I have a dumb question. is your TV HDCP compatible? if not then HDMI/DVI wont work for anythng above 480i (D* for some dumb reason things 480p is HD as well).

As for component. when you try component you are unplugging the HDMI wire right? plugging it in turns off component.

Whoa, you scared me for a minute there......."Dish Network" - no thanks I deal with them at work (we have satellite service "Dish" in the office", and NO THANK YOU..... Is the hr10-250 the only DVR out there??? :rolleyes:

free-1 said:
Whoa, you scared me for a minute there......."Dish Network" - no thanks I deal with them at work (we have satellite service "Dish" in the office", and NO THANK YOU..... Is the hr10-250 the only DVR out there??? :rolleyes:

its the only HD-DVR for Directv Currently... that will change in a couplde of months i believe.

ShadowEKU said:
I have a dumb question. is your TV HDCP compatible? if not then HDMI/DVI wont work for anythng above 480i (D* for some dumb reason things 480p is HD as well).

As for component. when you try component you are unplugging the HDMI wire right? plugging it in turns off component.

Yes. That was the first thing I checked into before I even purchased an HDTV. Never had that happen with the other hr10-250 boxes. Only after I did the software upgrade did this occur. The hi-def rep at D* said that they have had a lot of complaints about the software upgrade not working on most HD sets after the upgrade. I not only lost 1080i (no signal) but 720p (never got a signal on any of the 3 hr10-250 boxes) and 480p. Only 480i is getting any signal. :eek: :eek: Any suggestions?????

free-1 said:
Yes. That was the first thing I checked into before I even purchased an HDTV. Never had that happen with the other hr10-250 boxes. Only after I did the software upgrade did this occur. The hi-def rep at D* said that they have had a lot of complaints about the software upgrade not working on most HD sets after the upgrade. I not only lost 1080i (no signal) but 720p (never got a signal on any of the 3 hr10-250 boxes) and 480p. Only 480i is getting any signal. :eek: :eek: Any suggestions?????

ouch. did you confirm what i said about unplugging HDMI when using component?

I cant say anything about 720 i dont have it on my set. but my 1080i works fine with this software.

Give me a bit to think.. if i think of anything ill be back

Sounds like they need to send you a new box again or somehow reload the firmware update but I am not sure if that's possible.

ShadowEKU said:
ouch. did you confirm what i said about unplugging HDMI when using component?

I cant say anything about 720 i dont have it on my set. but my 1080i works fine with this software.

Give me a bit to think.. if i think of anything ill be back

Yes, I did unplug the HDMI when using component. Still no luck, all res are gone except 480i........... :no

CWS_kahuna said:
Sounds like they need to send you a new box again or somehow reload the firmware update but I am not sure if that's possible.

That would make 4 hr10-250's in 2 weeks. The people at fedex seem to no me when I'm calling......... :D

Yeah I think you got a defective one again... jeez maybe they keep sending you ones that were sent in to be fixed and they tested with Svid or something dumb like that.

free-1 said:
That would make 4 hr10-250's in 2 weeks. The people at fedex seem to no me when I'm calling......... :D

Yeah I know that sucks big time but what else can you do. I can tell you the unit is very nice when it works like its suppose too. I am very happy I upgraded to the HDTivo.

ShadowEKU said:
Yeah I think you got a defective one again... jeez maybe they keep sending you ones that were sent in to be fixed and they tested with Svid or something dumb like that.

Let's hope that's not the case. Anyway it's Friday and raining here in Philly, so I'm going to make some hi-def rep's life pure H-E-double hockey sticks-- tonight. Wish me luck. I'll post the results after the storm has cleared.

Thanks for all the suggestions :smug

CWS_kahuna said:
Yeah I know that sucks big time but what else can you do. I can tell you the unit is very nice when it works like its suppose too. I am very happy I upgraded to the HDTivo.

Same here... very glad not to have had any problems so far... but i am on the protection plan so they swap them no qestions usually.

Note -- component inputs and HDMI only operate when you're NOT at 480i.
SD outputs (S-Video etc) only operate when you ARE at 480i.

I assume you knew that.

Hogarth said:
Note -- component inputs and HDMI only operate when you're NOT at 480i.
SD outputs (S-Video etc) only operate when you ARE at 480i.

I assume you knew that.

Actually I didn't at first. But after reading the instructional manual I got that part taken care of. 480i (S-vid) is the only source I'm getting. And that's after the supposed software upgrade. This is going to be fun (for me not them) this weekend. :smug :smug

Okay, here is the latest on this software update(?) from D*. According to the hi-def tech I spoke with yesterday, with the software upgrade from 3.1.5d(old) to 3.1.5f(new), hdmi will only be usable if you're going from hdmi to hdmi, (not hdmi to dvi). After trying to use the hdmi to dvi after the upgrade I got a message on ch 201 saying "HDMI not available for this channel". This was after rebooting the system (1hr) and going through the guide setup. I'm on my 3rd hr10-250 and have had all sorts of problems. The first one worked w/hdmi to dvi with the of software but it had other problems with audio so I changed it. The 2nd had component output problems. And now the third. Also, one hi-def tech "assured me" that if I restart the recorder (after the upgrade takes place) and punch in a code of 0-2-4-6-8 as soon as you see the "Welcome" page, this will force the software to accept the hdmi to dvi conversion to work. Needless to say nothing happened, and I'm wondering if it's as simple as hdmi to dvi has problems with this receiver or is a problem overall??? D* admits to getting several calls about this problem and their solution it to simple tell the customer "just use the component out - this picture is just about the same". I'm sorry but if I wanted a lower grade signal I wouldn't have paid for HDTV........, Any one else have this problem....
:shocked :no :confused:

If you didn't want a lower grade signal, you shouldn't've bought a TV with only DVI inputs.

HDMI has been standard for well over a year now.

(And yes, the DVI problem is well documented on the 250s.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=183203&highlight=HDMI
)

I can't deny that you've been screwed repeatedly by D*, but I also don't think you're ever going to be happy with your results with the HR10-250.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)