hr10-250 "f" version software

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I assume that was a technical shot at my epuipment. Well I'll let that show your ingnorance - and if you got the money for an upgrade I'll accept it at anytime. My reason for posting this information was for people like myself who may be new to this medium - to share info not insults. :smug :D :eek:

Hogarth said:
If you didn't want a lower grade signal, you shouldn't've bought a TV with only DVI inputs.

HDMI has been standard for well over a year now.

(And yes, the DVI problem is well documented on the 250s.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=183203&highlight=HDMI
)

I can't deny that you've been screwed repeatedly by D*, but I also don't think you're ever going to be happy with your results with the HR10-250.

What about sets that are 2 or years more old? Am I going to have to buy a new set every two or three years to satisfy the entertainment/electronics industries? If so I will go back to reading books.

You have a very lame answer.

Jerry

jawilljr said:
What about sets that are 2 or years more old? Am I going to have to buy a new set every two or three years to satisfy the entertainment/electronics industries? If so I will go back to reading books.

You have a very lame answer.

Jerry

You're going to have to buy a new set every two or three years to use the latest and greatest connections. (Read: HDMI)

Otherwise, use component, or stop whining.;

H

Just for the record my hd10-250 works fine with hdmi=>dvi. Always has, still does with the f update.

Free... you and I have the EXACT same TV, and the EXACT same software version (Im looking at the System Info screen as i type) and my HR10-250 is connected HDMI->DVI 720p does not work on our sets but 1080i does and Im using it right now. Plain and simple you were lied to.

Question for you. is your remote (TV) the "Male Genital" shaped one or the paddle (flat top) shaped one?

DeWitt said:
Just for the record my hd10-250 works fine with hdmi=>dvi. Always has, still does with the f update.

Mine works totally fine like this too and I have the same update.

Hogarth said:
Note -- component inputs and HDMI only operate when you're NOT at 480i.

This is NOT true. HDMI and component work just fine at 480i on the HD Tivo. Also, what inputs you talking about? :)

Edited post title so as not to cause heartattacks for those waiting on the 6.x software :)

Hogarth said:
If you didn't want a lower grade signal, you shouldn't've bought a TV with only DVI inputs.

Unhelpful, and also totally wrong. While there is a bandwidth difference between the DVI and HDMI standards, it does NOT come into play with video-only signals (a la straight HDTV). Really only going to be an issue in 1080p configs (future), and audio/video applications, and probably only lightly or uncompressed audio streams at that.

Free -

If nothing else, I would recommend staying with component for troubleshooting purposes only, then move on to HDMI/DVI, as it introduces a whole other ball of wax :)

ShadowEKU said:
Free... you and I have the EXACT same TV, and the EXACT same software version (Im looking at the System Info screen as i type) and my HR10-250 is connected HDMI->DVI 720p does not work on our sets but 1080i does and Im using it right now. Plain and simple you were lied to.

Question for you. is your remote (TV) the "Male Genital" shaped one or the paddle (flat top) shaped one?

The remote is the paddle (flat top) shaped one. Does this make a difference?? :confused:

CWS_kahuna said:
Mine works totally fine like this too and I have the same update.

Thanks for the info. Question, does the picture res look any different when you're watching a hi-def channel and you change the res from 1080i to 480P? I didn't seem to notice a difference in the picture and that's what started me on this search for an answer.

free-1 said:
Thanks for the info. Question, does the picture res look any different when you're watching a hi-def channel and you change the res from 1080i to 480P? I didn't seem to notice a difference in the picture and that's what started me on this search for an answer.

Well I have never checked this to be honest. When I am watching the HD channels that seem to run higher bitrates like HDnet it always seems to look great to me. Some of the other channels like Showtime HD are not near the quality though. I just assumed this is a bitrate issue though. Last nights football game also looked HD to me. I do have a smaller 34" HDTV though so it may be harder for me to notice a huge difference compared to those of you with the large HDTVs.

I agree with you about the bitrate, but I just happened to notice while watching HDNet one day, I changed the res with the remote from 1080i to 480p and didn't notice any difference in the quality of the picture, thus I became curious about what may be happening with MY hr10-250. Give it a try sometime, I'm curious as to how others view this. :confused:

Thanks

free-1 said:
I agree with you about the bitrate, but I just happened to notice while watching HDNet one day, I changed the res with the remote from 1080i to 480p and didn't notice any difference in the quality of the picture, thus I became curious about what may be happening with MY hr10-250. Give it a try sometime, I'm curious as to how others view this. :confused:

Thanks

This is the first thing I did when I got my HD DVR. I wanted to see how much better HD really was so I'd pause the picture and switch between 480i and 1080i. The difference was "noticeable" but not as much as I had expected and hoped. This was a very qualitative experiment of course, no hard numbers... but the most noticable difference to me was the color depth, not the sharpness as I had expected.

I did this check on Discovery HD, which tends to be one of the better bit rate channels (or at least it did). Also, FYI pausing the picture seems to make things not as crisp too.... I ended up just flipping back and forth and rewatching the same scenes to do a comparison.

hoopsbwc34 said:
This is the first thing I did when I got my HD DVR. I wanted to see how much better HD really was so I'd pause the picture and switch between 480i and 1080i. The difference was "noticeable" but not as much as I had expected and hoped. This was a very qualitative experiment of course, no hard numbers... but the most noticable difference to me was the color depth, not the sharpness as I had expected.

I did this check on Discovery HD, which tends to be one of the better bit rate channels (or at least it did). Also, FYI pausing the picture seems to make things not as crisp too.... I ended up just flipping back and forth and rewatching the same scenes to do a comparison.

I assume you're using an hr10-250 dvr?? w/hdmi to hdmi?? I have hdmi to dvi and can't get that to work at all. So I'm using component video (good but not the best) I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts