HR10-250 HDMI fix, maybe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

banoonish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Fort Payne, AL
I just talked to Drectv Customer Service today and asked if they have solved the problem with the HDMI issue as my reciever has the problem. The CS person told me that the next software upgrade should fix this problem with the HDMI port. I ask when the software upgrade would happen and the CS person did not know the date. I hope it is soon.

To the best of my knowledge the HDMI issue is a hardware problem. When mine didnt work I shook the card which resulted in picture. This is discussed heavily in the tivo community forums.

Here is a quote from the tivo community forum "Anyway, it still could be a software issue, since if it's a HDCP issue with some displays not talking properly or something getting out of sync (don't know why that would happen over time, though...), they could update the HDCP implementation and here comes rev f ".

I unpacked HR10-250 #4 last night. (#1 died with high temperature BSOD after 3 weeks, #2 had no HDMI output, #3 died with high temp. BSOD after 1 week.)

With S-video only connected, it booted up fine. Went to Stand by, connected HDMI, it wouldn't come out of Standby. Pulled the plug and powered up again. As long as the HDMI cable is connected, it freezes during the boot up and neither video output does anything. The format moves to 480p and stays there. Pull the plug, disconnect HDMI, it comes up just fine.

"Expanded Tech Support" says I need the new software version. Make sure telephone connection is set up and has made a daily call. Within 24 hours after that, software version ending with "e" will be downloaded. They say to then do a reset and all will be well.

I told them I was highly skeptical, but they're not budging until I can tell them I have this new "e" release. Can't wait to get home this afternoon and see what it says then.

Thanks, but ...

I asked them specifically last night if I could force it and they said no. Jeez. So, I left it on last night and hopefully this will have happened by the time I get there this afternoon.

Well, that business about a software download today, version # ending with "e" was so much horse manure. Software version now is the same as last night. It may happen, but they don't really know when. And as has been suggested here, it won't fix the HDMI hardware problem, anyway.

But, when I reset receiver #4 tonight, the HDMI port had completely died. The cable was connected, but system information said if was not.

But you know, I have some spare parts here-receiver #3 that died with the high temp, BSOD. It's HDMI was working fine when it died. And thanks to this forum, I knew that the HDMI connector was on a daughter board.

With the aid of a #10 Torqx wrench, removed both cases, swapped the HDMI circuit boards, and viola, HDMI on receiver #4 works.

Wonder how long this one will last?

The box that #4 arrived in had obviously been opened before, so I knew it was a recycled unit. Date of manufacture was Sept. 12.

So, when I packed #3 in that box just now, I wrote "Bad HDMI" and "B.S.O.D." on the bottom of the box. If a member of this forum is sent this unit as part of Direct TVs recycle program, you will know what the initials mean. If someone else gets it, they may scratch their head for a while.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)