HR10-250 'searching for satellite'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottie_h

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Cologne, MN
I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but include enough detail to hopefully get some helpful feedback.

I've been a D* subscriber for about 14 months. When I bought my original system (1 HD receiver, 1 SD Tivo, 2 'standard' receivers), I was told that I would need to upgrade to a 4x8 multi-switch if I ever added a second HD receiver. I can't say I paid much attention to how all the cables were run with the 3x4 multiswitch, but an installer that came out for a service call did make a comment about how the original installer was "lazy". Outside of that service call about a week after my original install, I have had zero problems. (I have the 3 LNB dish, btw)

So a few weeks ago, I got in on the "free" HR10-250 offer. I mentioned when I placed my order that I had been told if I ever got a second HD receiver, I would need to upgrade to a 4x8 multiswitch, which they included on the work order. However, the installer never changed the multiswitch. He used the same cabling that had been used for the SD Tivo, just swapping the receivers. (never had any issues with the original receiver in 1+ years)

Within an hour after the installer left, I started getting a "searching for satellite" message for one of the tuners. The other tuner worked fine. If I switched the lines into the receiver, the error message did not change (did not change to the other tuner number). Sometimes within minutes, other times within hours, the error would go away. Even when getting the error, the satellite signal showed 90%+. Re-starting the receiver virtually always resolved the issue for the time being.

So I called D*, and they stepped me throught some trouble-shooting, and scheduled a service call. The same installer came back, and left unable to figure out what was wrong. He checked every cable and LNB, and said he replaced every cable end. He tested all cables, and always found a strong signal. However I kept getting the error intermittently. I mentioned upgrading the multi-switch again, but he wasn't buying it. He left with the system in worse shape than when he arrived. I'm ready to call D*, because they haven't called me back for a return visit.

So my question is, would the use of the 3x4 multiswitch be the source of the problem? I tried following some of the wires the other night. I can tell for sure that two of the lines go from the satellite directly to 2 of the bedrooms. I believe one of the other lines goes straight to my HD receiver, and one other line to the multiswitch, which then splits to the 2 lines that go to my "problem" receiver.

I found a post on another site when Googling that seemed to indicate that all four lines needed to run through the multiswitch before being split to the H10-250. Is that the case? I'm no satellite expert - ANY feedback I can get before I get an installer back out here again is greatly appreciated!

scottie_h said:
I found a post on another site when Googling that seemed to indicate that all four lines needed to run through the multiswitch before being split to the H10-250. Is that the case?

That is correct, if all four lines are not in the 4 side of the multiswitch, you will have the problems you describe.

If you have a HD receiver, two other standard receivers and a DVR (of any flavor), then you should have had a 4x8 multiswitch installed in the beginning! D*'s own install guidelines specifically state that a second line needs to be installed for a DVR, so you should have had 5 inputs run from the multiswitch.

As for your present problem-call D*, tell them you have a bad install, and have them send a senior tech or supervisor to get that mess fixed right!

Thanks for the input. That was my suspicion, but at least now I can specifically state that to D*.

Hopefully they won't send out the same installer for the 3rd straight time... (unless he listens this time)

I finally got D* called, and scheduled another service visit. The gal that I talked to apologized over and over again, and said she was specifically putting in the request not to send the same installer, and requested a senior installer. We'll see if that happens...

She also made note that I may need a 4x8 switch upgrade (which they did for the last 2 visits as well...)

My fingers are crossed!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts