HR10-250

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richie800

Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Hello all. Ive read the forums about the hr10-250 and the slimline dish but I could not find anything that could help so here I go.

ZIP: 33415
Receive: hr10-250
Dish: Slimline 5 lnb
Signal meter: Acutrac 22 MKII

The receiver was given to me from a friend who was moving to Europe. The Dish was also given to me buy another friend who purchased it but decided to go with Directv free upgrade service. I purchased the acutrac from someone who upgraded to a Bird Dog?

The hr10-250 setup screen cannot give me the information for a 5 lnb dish. Can someone help me with that?

I've read that it is possible to align the dish to a sat that is not 101. Someone suggested that individuals that are having problems aligning to the correct sat should cover the other two lnbs with a wet cloth. The lnb I have has a center lnb that looks like is has 3 lnbs in one housing. The other two lnbs are off the center and both are in a seperate housing. Is the center LNB the 101 LNB? If not, which one is it?

I've tried setting up the dish before without success. on 101 I can get 90+ on 28,32 and close to 100 on 119s three transponders.

I read somewhere that I can setup the acutrac to show the signal on the 101 and 119 sat at the same time. How can I do that?

I know that the receiver is old but according to DTV, they plan to release a new TIVO Directv HD DVR in mid 2009. Because of this, and because I like to watch two football games on two different tuners at the same time, I am going to wait for the new Dtivo model to come out.

BTW: the receiver is plum and I do have the extra arms attached to the dish for extra stability.

Thank you

Richard

Are you describing an AT9 sidecar or an AU9 Slimline? The Slimline has that name painted on the dish face. 110 is the satellite that has 3 transponders.

Slimline

From what I understand, it is a slimline. "Slimline" and "Directv" are on the face of the dish.

Richard

Last edited:
The hr10-250 setup screen cannot give me the information for a 5 lnb dish. Can someone help me with that?

I've read that it is possible to align the dish to a sat that is not 101. Someone suggested that individuals that are having problems aligning to the correct sat should cover the other two lnbs with a wet cloth. The lnb I have has a center lnb that looks like is has 3 lnbs in one housing. The other two lnbs are off the center and both are in a seperate housing. Is the center LNB the 101 LNB? If not, which one is it?

I've tried setting up the dish before without success. on 101 I can get 90+ on 28,32 and close to 100 on 119s three transponders.

My guess would be that you need to point the dish about 9 degrees to the west. From the receiver menu, if you choose the single LNB dish, it will give you the azimuth and elevation for the 101 sat. If you then choose the 3 LNB dish, it will give you something within about 7 degrees tilt for the 5LNB dish. IIRC, the 101 would be the second signal peak you see on the accutrac.

To answer your other question, yes, the LNB that looks like it is inline with the dish arm is the 99/101/103 LNB.

Steps completed

I received the basic coordinates from my hr10-250.

Placed the Acutrac inline with the receiver and two cables from the lnb.

Set the acutrac to 22k tone. If I understand this correctly, this sets the acutrac to track 101 and 119

Placed a wet towel over the two outer lnbs.

I rotated the azimuth until a peak was obtained. 98 on the acutrac.

Rotated the Elevation knob until a peak was obtained. HI

Locked azimuth bolts.

Check for signal on 101 trans 1. None found

Removed towel

Rotated tilt for best peak on 119. 51.4

locked tilt

Rotated elevation two turn CCW record signal 77.8

Rotated elevation CW until 77.8 is reached. Count turns 4.0

Divided by two and rotated CCW this amount. Verify peak or higher is reached. Confirmed.

Lock Elevation bolts.

Rotate azimuth two turns CCW. Record signal. 94.3

Rotate CW until 94.3 is reached. record turns. ~3.05

Divided by two and rotate CCW that amount. verify peak or higher. Confirmed.

Lock azimuth bolts. ( for what ever reason, the signal on 119 is now 56.7)

Removed acutrac and installed receiver. Verify receiver signal strength. Failed .

Sat 101 trans 1 no signal. trans 2 , ~47% on only one tuner.

Did I miss something?

This is the second LNB I am trying. I did not replace the cables that run down the LNB arm. I will do that next. The cables that run to the receivers are good because I tried to check the signal strength on another receiver I have (Hughes sd-40) which is in another room in the house and the same thing happens.

New azimuth

My guess would be that you need to point the dish about 9 degrees to the west. From the receiver menu, if you choose the single LNB dish, it will give you the azimuth and elevation for the 101 sat. If you then choose the 3 LNB dish, it will give you something within about 7 degrees tilt for the 5LNB dish. IIRC, the 101 would be the second signal peak you see on the accutrac.

I will try that.

Thank you.

Azimuth

The dish appears to hav an azimuth between 225 and 230.

Also. If I rotate the dish from what would be ~200 to ~300 degrees, there appears to be only one point where the the signal increase above ~47. With or without the wet towel.

Richard

BTW I replaced the cables that run down the lnb arm. I no longer get 47 on one tuner on sat 101 trans 2

It is dark now so I think I will try again tomorrow. the OTA still works so I can still watch the Dolphins go for first place in the AFC East.

Last edited:
Make sure that the 5LNB ODU on your Slimline dish has 4 connectors on it. If it has only one connector, it is a SWM ODU and it will not work with the Hr10-250. Post Number 4 above gives you the correct information. Use the Elevation and Azimuth and Skew Values that the Hr10-250 Guided Setup gives you for a ROUND dish for initial dish setup. Then restart the Hr10-250 Guided Setup and select the 3LNB OVAL Dish. I hooked an Hr10-250 up yesterday and it works on 101, 110, and 119 with this setup.

Tilt

Make sure that the 5LNB ODU on your Slimline dish has 4 connectors on it.
The ODU does have four connectors.

The 22kHz tone is only used for the 110 and 119 sats, not the 101. In addition, if your tilt/skew is off you may have a problem finding the 101.
Could this be the reason why signal strength of the 119 went up after fine tuning the other two setting?

I was using a tilt of 45. So if I understand correctly, regardless of how I fine tuned the azimuth and elevation, with the tilt off by 10, I would not see anything on 101?

Should the 119 sat peak at about the mid 50s?

The Slimline is centered on 101, so the tilt won't affect that sat, just 110 and 119.
OK so the tilt rotates on the 101. So the reason for the tilt is to allow the dish to receive the signal from the furthest sat which is the 119? IE if I had a tilt of 140 as long as my azimuth is correct, 101s signal should be strong.

I've tried setting the receivers (hr10-250 and the SD Hughes) for round single LNB using the Slimline dish to see if I can get a basic signal for the 101 sat without success. My understanding has always been that when the dish is used in the most basic setting, this idea should work. Is that incorrect?

Also, the settings for your zipcode are as follows for the 5LNB dish

Azim. 226
Elev 51
Tilt 55

I will try this tomorrow

Thank you all

Richard

Last edited:
Great

Everything works great now. Thank you.

My elevation and azimuth were both off.

Thank you

Richard

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)