HR10-250's & 720p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atp1313

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Goose Creek, SC
I have a HR10-250 playing through a GE 52" Rear Projection TV. The 10-250 has selectable output formats, band they all look good except the 720p. When I look at that output, it seems to break the image up into 2 separate images and "squishes" them horizontally on the screen. The colors are awful and the obviously the quality os not good. The image is usually one complete image in the middle and then the other image is cut 1/2 way through the vertical and shown on either side of the middle image - right half on the left and left half to the right of the middle image.

When I purchased my TV, it was my understanding that I would be able to display any format up to 1080i. Is this an indication of my ignorance in signal display or an indication of an output error with the 10-250? Should I just let it go, or should I call D* and complain?

I mainly ask because when I watch ESPNHD for example, the 1080i display oversamples (I think this is the right term) and I cannot read "The Bottom Line". If I switch to 480p, the bottomline is visible, but the image is not nearly as sharp since it is no longer being passed on as HD, but Extended Def. Since ESPNHD broadcasts in 720p, I am wondering if watching a "pure" signal that hasn't been up/down converted would make a difference.

BTW - other possibly pertinant info: TV connected to Tivo unit with component cables. No splitters anywhere in the systems, and good signal path and strengths.

My HDTV, a Samsung, was fairly inexpensive, and supports 1080i, but not 720p. Check your manual. (If you have a D52W20, it doesn't.)

The HR10-250 will scale the 720p signal to 1080i. It will still look pretty good.

With regards to the "oversampling", or deflection and geometry, you should calibrate your set, or consider getting it professionally calibrated.

Hogarth said:
My HDTV, a Samsung, was fairly inexpensive, and supports 1080i, but not 720p. Check your manual. (If you have a D52W20, it doesn't.)

The HR10-250 will scale the 720p signal to 1080i. It will still look pretty good.

With regards to the "oversampling", or deflection and geometry, you should calibrate your set, or consider getting it professionally calibrated.
D52W20 is RCA/Thompson I own it. But if you select 720P it just goes blank

free-1 said:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=103801

check out the string above. I also own the D52w20 and have had problems with this as well. Let me know what you guys/gals think. :yes :yes
Your previous comments actually prompted me to write this post. I have had the tv for several months now and just avoided 720p. Now I was curious if it was me, the TV, or the Tivo. If the consensus is that this model (yes I have the D52W20) will not display 720p, then I will move on and never think of it again.

Thanks for the comments :rolleyes:

atp1313 said:
Your previous comments actually prompted me to write this post. I have had the tv for several months now and just avoided 720p. Now I was curious if it was me, the TV, or the Tivo. If the consensus is that this model (yes I have the D52W20) will not display 720p, then I will move on and never think of it again.

Thanks for the comments :rolleyes:

It will not. It is in the manual. Strange that it does what it does... how old is you W20?

ShadowEKU said:
It will not. It is in the manual. Strange that it does what it does... how old is you W20?

Less than a year. Bought it at BestBuy.

So is it supposed to be showing a blank screen as mentioned above?

I thought so... with every single source I have used before it goes to the blank screen however out of curiosity I got up and used the format button to get there... WOW.. thats really fed up looking... but none the less its the exact same thing... and no 720p doesnt work on our tv.

I have a question. When I first upgraded to HDTV, after getting the RCA D52W20, the first Hi-Def box I got from D* was an RCA DTC210 model. With that receiver I noticed that all res' seem to pass thru with no problem. The res would show up in the channel banner (i.e., ESPNHD=720p, HDNet=1080i, USA,SpikeTV,TNT,etc....480i) (no 480p was ever detected). And this was with DVI to DVI. Could it be a compatibility issue?? RCA receiver to RCA monitor??? DVI to DVI??? Or am I stretching this too far!!

atp1313 said:
When I purchased my TV, it was my understanding that I would be able to display any format up to 1080i. Is this an indication of my ignorance in signal display or an indication of an output error with the 10-250? Should I just let it go, or should I call D* and complain?

I mainly ask because when I watch ESPNHD for example, the 1080i display oversamples (I think this is the right term) and I cannot read "The Bottom Line". If I switch to 480p, the bottomline is visible, but the image is not nearly as sharp since it is no longer being passed on as HD, but Extended Def. Since ESPNHD broadcasts in 720p, I am wondering if watching a "pure" signal that hasn't been up/down converted would make a difference.
Seems that your Monitor is not able to display progressive (720p) signals, only interlaced (1080i). Regarding your cutting off, seems that your monitor is set to a zoom setting, although if it's receiving a digital signal it should not be able to be altered. IT should be set to wide, nothing else.

free-1 said:
I have a question. When I first upgraded to HDTV, after getting the RCA D52W20, the first Hi-Def box I got from D* was an RCA DTC210 model. With that receiver I noticed that all res' seem to pass thru with no problem. The res would show up in the channel banner (i.e., ESPNHD=720p, HDNet=1080i, USA,SpikeTV,TNT,etc....480i) (no 480p was ever detected). And this was with DVI to DVI. Could it be a compatibility issue?? RCA receiver to RCA monitor??? DVI to DVI??? Or am I stretching this too far!!

No you probably didnt take the receiver out of auto resolution or you had the switch on the front set to 1080i.

That said it didnt PASS Through the signal it rezzed it to whatever it was set at... for instance if you were on ESPNHD it would pass the 720p signal as 1080i. What it said in the top middle was the resolution broadcast at. not the output.

If you want I can tell you how to get to your tv's service menu where you can tell what rez your TV is receiving.

BTW I started with the DTC210 as well... actually its sitting in my office waiting for us to close on our hose so it can be put back to use in the bedroom.

Yes, please let me know how to get to the service menu. I've been trying to find out alot about this set. Thanks for the explanation - it somewhat eases my mind on this whole resolution setting. I also have a some other questions about the D52W20. Can we discuss in another forum???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)