HR20-250 Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeDude

Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Greetings, I have regular D* and Tivo, my old 10 year old tv is finally dying so looking at HD Tv's which lead to looking into D* HD DVR receivers. I read here extensively about the HR20-250 slated to come out in June and have a few questions.

1.) D* appears to be offering the HR10-250 currently, what does the HR20 offer that the HR10 does not? I read it is MPEG4 compatible which I assume is the new HD standard?

2.) D* says upgrading to the HR10-250 (and I assume the HR20 will also) requires a 5LNB dish. How many coax cables does a 5LNB dish require coming in the house? Currently I have the triple LNB which is 4 cables into a multiswitch.

3.) Will the HR20-250 require more than 2 coax cables from the multiswitch to the receiver? I managed to get 2 cables to my current Tivo receiver but any more than that and I am toast.

Thanks for the help! Mike

p.s. I'm 70 miles from the nearest OTA station so I don't need/use that feature.

1.) D* appears to be offering the HR10-250 currently, what does the HR20 offer that the HR10 does not? I read it is MPEG4 compatible which I assume is the new HD standard?

Yes, the new HD DVR will use the MPEG4 compression scheme. This will allow you to record more HD material using less hard drive space.

2.) D* says upgrading to the HR10-250 (and I assume the HR20 will also) requires a 5LNB dish. How many coax cables does a 5LNB dish require coming in the house? Currently I have the triple LNB which is 4 cables into a multiswitch.

You do NOT need the 5 LNB dish to use the HR10-250, but you will need the 5 LNB dish with the new DVR. The cable set up for the 5 LNB is the same as with the 3 LNB (4 cables running from the dish into a multiswitch). How many cables you have running out of the multiswitch into the house is your decision, based on how many STB's you want to use. Remember that the DVR's have dual tuners so you would need two cable runs to each DVR for it to be fully functional.

Thanks for the info guys. Reckon I will wait for the HR20 to come out and see what the promotional offers are going on. Good to know I don't have to run any more coax cable. In my house it is difficult to do. If I have to get a new multiswitch that is not a big deal. Thanks again! Mike.

Eric Goempel said:
The AT-9 does use a different multiswitch than the 3LNB unit does.

And you can't diplex an OTA signal onto a DBS coax when using the AT-9.

rad said:
Yep, can't diplex and don't provide all digital channels in the market.

That, along with the absence of an MPEG4 HD DVR, is the main reason I'm not upgrading to MPEG4 now.

vurbano said:
that sucks
For once, I agree with you.

I do have 3 lines of Coax going to my main TV right now with my Samsung HD receiver and my Tivo, so once the HD DVR comes out I will have 3 lines that I can use to still get my OTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts