HR20-700 and HR10-250

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

peeee

Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Carlsbad, CA
Hello,

This is my first post (please be gentle with me. ;) )

I currently have the HR10-250 with the 3LNB dish. I have Directv coming out tomorrow to install the new 5LNB dish and bring the HR20-700.

Currently, I have 3 receivers connected to my TV
1. HR10-250
2. Standard Directv Receiver
3. Time Warner HD DVR(used for local channels)

My question is: Is it possible for me to use both the HR10-250 and the HR20-700?

My reasons for wanting both are:
I like the Tivo functions. (Especially the Live Buffer)
I have a few things saved on my HR10 that I want to view later.
I utilize the "split screen" option on my TV frequently. (especially for sports)
If everything works smoothly, I can get rid of my Cable DVR.

I understand that the HR10-250 is limited to MPEG2 and will not work for future HD channels. But if it will remain active for the HD channels available now, I don't see this as a problem. And I can still use my OTA antenna with it for some locals.

It is a multiswitch that will give you more than the standard 4 outputs from the dish. 2 for each DVR plus one for the standard receiver equals five outputs. So you will need more than the standard 4. As far as having both the HR10-250 and the HR20-700 goes, yes you can have both, but they will need to be hooked up to different tvs by your technician. Also you should make it clear thats what you want to DirecTV before the tech comes out, or the tech may be under instructions to do a swap.

You can hook up as many boxes to your TV as your TV has inputs, or as many as your receiver will switch, but you'll need enough wire and antenna drops from your new dish, and you will need to tell DirecTV that you are keeping both boxes working. They will read the cards in each receiver, and you will be charged a fee for each, including a DVR fee if you do not have the Premier package (if you have premier, the DVR programming is included)

You can hook up as many boxes to your TV as your TV has inputs, or as many as your receiver will switch, but you'll need enough wire and antenna drops from your new dish, and you will need to tell DirecTV that you are keeping both boxes working. They will read the cards in each receiver, and you will be charged a fee for each, including a DVR fee if you do not have the Premier package (if you have premier, the DVR programming is included)

Peeeee,
You will only be charged 1 DVR fee as the 1 fee covers ALL DVR's on your account.
That said, you will be charged a $5 lease fee for the new receiver as it is your 2-3 rd receiver on the account.
Al;l together your bill should go up $ 5.

Jimbo

Thank you all for the feedback.

1. I currently have a multiswitch connected with my 3LNB dish. it is a 5X8. Will one for the 5LNB be different? Or can they use the same one?
(I currently have 5 lines coming out of my current multiswitch)

2. "you should make it clear thats what you want to DirecTV before the tech comes out, or the tech may be under instructions to do a swap"

shadyB. Thank you for this information! I will be sure to call Directv now to make sure they are not trying to do a swap! I paid a lot of money for that HR10-250 and plan on keeping it active as long as it is possible. ;)

Peeeee,
You will only be charged 1 DVR fee as the 1 fee covers ALL DVR's on your account.
That said, you will be charged a $5 lease fee for the new receiver as it is your 2-3 rd receiver on the account.
Al;l together your bill should go up $ 5.

Jimbo

so jimbo, when the tech installs my two sd tivos next week (along with the h10/h20 swap), i will only be charged one dvr fee for three dvr's? (2 sd and 1 hd)

I have 2 HDTVs and and 2 HR10s and 2 HR20s. The Tvs each have 1 HDMI and 3 component inputs so it is not a problem to hook up multiple DVRs in almost any configuration.

Yes 1 DVR fee and 2 leaseed reciver fees.

Thanks chazcbh,
Iceturkee,
Yes you will only be charged 1 DVR fee ($ 5.99) and 2 lease rec. fees(same as the old Addl. rec. fee) $4.99 + tax of course !

Your 1st rec. on your account there is no fee for, every rec. after that will be a 4.99 fee for either a addl, if you own or a lease fee(4.99 also).

For DVR's you are only charged for the fee on the 1st one, after that as many dvr's you have, they are covered.

This is one thing that I thought D* did that was helpful to all of the dvr users, there use to be a fee for each rec.

Jimbo

Just wanted to update from my original post:

Got the 5LNB installed Saturday. (it was delayed due to lack of stock).

The installer was good. No problems with keeping my HR10-250. Both it and the HR20-700 are connected to my TV with no problems. (also have the Cable still connected temporarily).

(Not sure if this is the correct place...but wanted to give my initial thoughts...)

I think the picture on the HR20 looks better than the HR10. Could be my imagination.

So far...the lack of the live buffer isn't an issue. And it probably won't be until Football season starts back.

Overall, I think I really like this unit. I honestly didn't think I would because of my love for the Tivo.

Anyway, I am utilizing both units for now and couldn't be happier.

P.

Just wanted to update from my original post:

Got the 5LNB installed Saturday. (it was delayed due to lack of stock).

The installer was good. No problems with keeping my HR10-250. Both it and the HR20-700 are connected to my TV with no problems. (also have the Cable still connected temporarily).

(Not sure if this is the correct place...but wanted to give my initial thoughts...)

I think the picture on the HR20 looks better than the HR10. Could be my imagination.

So far...the lack of the live buffer isn't an issue. And it probably won't be until Football season starts back.

Overall, I think I really like this unit. I honestly didn't think I would because of my love for the Tivo.

Anyway, I am utilizing both units for now and couldn't be happier.

P.

Great !!!
Glad to see everything went well and you are learning to migrate from the TIVO experience without to many problems ...

Jimbo

Great !!!
Glad to see everything went well and you are learning to migrate from the TIVO experience without to many problems ...

Jimbo

Jimbo, thanks for the reply!

One quick question(I did a search but still not sure): Is it best to set the "native" option to on? Or is it just personal preference?

For the Tivo, I just left the resolution set to the native resolution of my TV.

What do you mean lack of live buffer? I thought it had a 90 minute live buffer. What it doesn't have is live buffers on both tuners.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)