HR20-700 is noisy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cjwells

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
South Carolina
Does anyone else think that the HR20-700 is noisy. I have had two and both are very loud. I had to have my first one replaced due too the fact that the RF remote would not work with it.

Live is Good :)

I don't really notice it anymore, but when I first got it I thought that it was a bit on the noisy side. Noisier than my HR10s anyway.

Does yours make noise even when it's off?

I swear mine has little hamsters in there...no wait that's my head.

Yes it is always making the noise(harddrive). This unit is in our bedroom. I finally had to put the unit in a dresser/tv stand, now I don't hear it. I hope the new Hr20-100 is quieter. Not that i will be getting one anytime soon.

This has been an issue for my customers with all the newer DVR's. I am thinking of opening one up and seeing if the fan can be slowed by bridging a resistor across the fans leads. Maybe the noise can be reduced without affecting the air flow too much. I would assume a unit sitting in the open with a slower fan, would be better than a fan at full speed, but inside an enclosure.

Has anyone put a thermometer on top of the units set inside a cabinet?

I was thinking of putting it in a enclosed cabinet but it gets so warm I figured it would suffer a meltdown. It's in my bedroom too. I'm going to put a thermometer in the present open cabinet to see what it reads.

I was thinking of putting it in a enclosed cabinet but it gets so warm I figured it would suffer a meltdown. It's in my bedroom too. I'm going to put a thermometer in the present open cabinet to see what it reads.

You would be right, you would have to design the enclosue so it would have vents in the front and the back/top, and a low-noice hi-cfm fan pulling air out the back/top (and optimally, a fan pushing into the front).

Seeing alot of these posts, I would be curious to know if one were to combine the above well ventilated enclosure, with the use of sound dampening materials applied to the cabinet [1] would reduce the noise enough, I myself am used to SCSI drives humming feet away from me while I sleep, so I cannot relate. ;)

[1]: Something like, but not necessarily this product or even this type (there are thinnner kinds, dynamat, etc, if looks don't matter, using egg cartons works well (not the kind that fold)): http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=acoustipackdeluxe

I make no claims about the above site, or its products, nor have I tried any of these methods myself.

Our HR20 hamsters seem to be fairly quiet and have not yet tried to escape, so we are so far fairly pleased with the noise level.

How much do they eat and what do you guys feed them?

There are things about the HR20 we do not like, but noise level is not one of them. My impression was that my old HR10-250 made a little more fan noise.

Our HR20 hamsters seem to be fairly quiet and have not yet tried to escape, so we are so far fairly pleased with the noise level.

How much do they eat and what do you guys feed them?

There are things about the HR20 we do not like, but noise level is not one of them. My impression was that my old HR10-250 made a little more fan noise.

Mine just require a steady diet of 110 volts and a monthly payment to the wonderful folks at DirecTV.:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts