HR20-700 with Slimeline & SL3PIG-P LNB not pickin gup 99c...need help please!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

f13dfx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Hi All,

I've installed a couple of Slimelines with an SL5 before but it's my 1st time doing one with an Eagle Aspen SL3PIG-P LNB. I'm sure I've got the dish peaked cuz I'm getting 80s to 90s across the board on 103 and 101. However I get 0 on any of the 99c transponders......weird!

I have the latest receiver software update listed on May 25, 2010.

Redid Antenna Setup several times choosin Slimeline SL3 and Multiswitch with Dual Tuners.....with still the same 0 signal results on 99c.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Refine as per your advice but only getting hi 20s to low 30s on 99c, mid 50s for 103ca, 0s for 103cb and hi 50s to low 60s for 101. Mast is plumb with bubble in small circle at level in top of mast. Would having RG59 cable as opposed to RG6 cable be a probable reason for poor signal strength.

BTW, I already did the dithering to maximize what I could of the signals I was receiving.

RG59 is not the preferred coax to use as it has a lot more loss per foot than RG6, especially with the Ka frequencies. It can be used in a pinch for inside distribution, usually if the runs are already in the walls.

How far is the dish from the receivers? I'd change out to RG6 and then re-dither the dish. I would also consider having DirecTV do the realignment.

Am I doing the right steps to align my SL3 Slimline Dish?

I just recently installed an Eagle Aspen SL3PIG-P LNB with a Slimline Dish for an HR20-700 Receiver.

Please kindly review the steps that I have taken to peak signals coming from 99c, 101, 103ca and 103cb and let me know what I've missed:
1. Install mast and get it plumb with a carpenter's level and use circle level supplied and attached to top of mast to confirm bubble is inside small black circle to double-check that mast is indeed plumb.
2. Make sure that Tilt is set for zip code before installing dish on mast.
3. Install dish on mast, set Elevation for zip code.
4. Point dish in general Azimuth direction for zip code, then move dish slowly to one side and then the other until signal for 101 is peaked on receiver's signal strength meter.
5. Dither both Elevation and Azimuth adjustments to peak signals on 99c, 103ca and 103cb.

I have an older Slimline with an SL5 LNB and my signals for all 3 satellites are in the high 80's or higher using the same HR20-700 receiver. This is what I've done so far and I am only getting the following signal strengths:
99c = high 20's to low 30's
101 = mid 50's to low 60's
103ca = mid 40's to low 50's
103cb = 6's on 4 transponders, the rest 0's

Here's a few questions:
1. The RG59 cables run about 30' from dish to receiver. Should I be using RG6 instead?
2. If I still get the same signal strengths after installing RG6 cable, should I swap B-Band converters to see if they're the culprit?
3. I have installed 3 Slimline dishes before but all had the older SL5 LNB's. They were easy to setup and I did not have to do any dithering. Signals were all in the high 80's and up. Is the SL3 harder to setup?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)