HR20-700 with triple LNB?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stumo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Defiance, MO
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum but have had DirecTV since the first day it was introduced in this area. I'm about to replace my HR10-250 receiver with a HR20-700. I also ordered the Slimline 5 LNB antenna assembly. It's snowing and blowing here in the St. Louis, MO area today and doesn't look much better tomorrow. So going up on the roof is not going to happen until the weather improves. So...can I simply install the new HR20-700 to my existing 3 LNB antenna until the weather improves? That way I can at least get the receiver and RF remotes set up.

Tried searching for this answer but didn't fine anything definitive.

Thanks,
stumo

Sure. You could set it up with just an old round 18" dish if that's all you have. :)

I had my HR20 going on a 3 LNB dish for about a month before I could get my 5 LNB upgrade.

Thanks Scott, wired up the new HD20-700 and it works great. Not sure what all I'm missing by not having the 5 LNB but I have what I had with the HR10-250 anyway. As the weather improves I'll get the 5LNB antenna installed.

stumo

Thanks Scott, wired up the new HD20-700 and it works great. Not sure what all I'm missing by not having the 5 LNB but I have what I had with the HR10-250 anyway. As the weather improves I'll get the 5LNB antenna installed.

stumo

Your not missing much right now, but you will need it for the new HD channels.
Right now, locals are on and selected RSN's are on the 5LNB that you cannot get currently.
IF you have your locals with an OTA antenna, you are not even missing that.
btw, if you do have your OTA already with antenna, KEEP it that way. D* will be offering only mainly the big 4 channels so far.
And the picture quality will be better with the OTA set up.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo, I do have OTA hooked up an enabled and agree with you on them being superior quality. Got hung up on the install setup where it wouldn't let me select Satellite & Antenna but went in afterward and installed the antenna and later read where that was a software issue on setup. So far, so good with the HR20-700s with the only problem being the RF remotes I have will not work. Will start a separate thread to see if anyone else has encounted that.

stumo
former Buckeye resident

I have a quick question along these same lines. I will be moving soon. I'm not sure I'm prepared to sign up with D* for another 2 years, so considering doing the install myself. I did the 3LNB myself w/o issue, but I think I read somewhere that the 5LNB would be a different beast altogether... is that true? I think my only option in my new place will be Mediacrap, so it's likely I'll want to stick with D* anyway, but haven't fully explored my options.

Fine tuning the 5 LNB for the KA sats is more difficult. But it's not like most installers do it anyway. They just slap it up, peak 101 (if that) and leave. So you can probably do better. There are install videos on Solid Signal's web site which explains how to do the fine tuning adjustments. It's not too bad but it's more sensitive then the 3 LNB, less margin for error.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)