Hr20-700

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

usrauk

Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Hello.......Is the HR20-700 really as much of a piece of junk as the feedbacks on AMAZON suggest, I plan on getting a DVR but don't want to waste my money if there is an alternative to it. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Keep in mind that people that post on the internet are for the most part anonymous so you don't know if they have ulterior motives. For example anti-XBOX 360 comments from a SONY rep or anti-PS3 remarks by a Msft employee. Throw in the Wii rep and it's a recipe for disaster for someone trying to sort out what's worthwhile on the gaming platforms. ;)

I've had the HR20 since late September and my first unit "bought it" within 30 days usage, so D* sent a replacement. Some early issues, a partial recording the first week and trouble recording 1 PM NFL ST games, the first couple of weeks, but the unit has been steadily improving and I've had no missed or unplayable recordings since early in November.

That's my experience, but hey, I could be a D* rep for all you know...but I'm not. ;)

I think a more broad range of experiences would be sampled at the HR20 Q&A forum on DBSTalk here:
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

it has had its fair share of problems, but it is pretty stable/reliable right now. I had to activate a cable box while my roof got looked at and the AT9 was down and I have to say in a weeks time it missed 3 of my wifes programs, where as the HR20 misses that much since the time I have had it, I havent had to reset it in a while, so as of this date I give it a fairly high grade!

Thanks for reply......I plan on buying the hr20 on ebay and I already have the 5 LNB Slim dish with a 6x8 multi-switch and will be installing them myself to replace a 2 lnb dish so I will be owning all of my equipment and not leasing and hopefully D* sees it that way, I guess they will get there money anyway by just raising the rates like they just did.

Thanks again

I have had my hr20-700 for two months now and knock on wood, its been rock solid. I paid 99 bucks for the lease and very happy with it. I would go for it..

any particular reason you are buying the hr20 on ebay? unless, its an authorized directv dealer, i don't think any john doe consumer can sell their unit, as they should all be leased.......correct?

any particular reason you are buying the hr20 on ebay? unless, its an authorized directv dealer, i don't think any john doe consumer can sell their unit, as they should all be leased.......correct?

The cost for one would be 800-900 bucks, but at last check Directv now activates everything as leased, so you are correct, it would be activated as a lease item.

Hi.......I guess I must be dense or something, I don't understand how I can buy an HR20-700 on EBAY or pay $299.00 plus tax at best buy and I still don't own the unit, Is it just for the honor bestowed upon me by D* to be able to pay them a monthly lease payment?....So they actually own the dvr and I am just paying for the right to take it home and use it? Where do you go to buy one outright? and do you still pay the lease after you buy it?...........I'm confused

Hi.......I guess I must be dense or something, I don't understand how I can buy an HR20-700 on EBAY or pay $299.00 plus tax at best buy and I still don't own the unit, Is it just for the honor bestowed upon me by D* to be able to pay them a monthly lease payment?....So they actually own the dvr and I am just paying for the right to take it home and use it? Where do you go to buy one outright? and do you still pay the lease after you buy it?...........I'm confused

yeah, you are paying to pay :) I would call Directv and see if you can buy one off of them, but like I said, I dont believe you can...plus Directv is Lease only now adays, they activate it under a lease commitment-best bet, pay them the 299 and they will come and install everything and give you all the multiswitches and AT9 you need to get going, that way it elevates some of the cost (not really but it helps)

also :welcome to the forums!

And let remember if a leased box has a hard drive crash or any other problems it will be replaced by them.

I don't get why so many are afraid to lease you are going to pay $4.99 either way on all receivers after the first one on you account. And at least you get the replacement for free if anything happens to it.

before, directv went lease, there has always been a $4.99 charge on additional receivers. in the old days, it was called a mirroring fee!!

The cost for one would be 800-900 bucks, but at last check Directv now activates everything as leased, so you are correct, it would be activated as a lease item.

actually, that nice letter i received after i got my hr20 said, if i didn't want to turn it in, if i deactivated my account, it would cost another $400 (which has gone up a tad after march 1). that's $699 to own it outright!!

And let remember if a leased box has a hard drive crash or any other problems it will be replaced by them.

You're certain of that? All I know is when I activated the replacement HR20, the CSR insinuated that since I opted to not have the Protection Plan, I'd be SOL if the unit failed after 30 days.

You're certain of that? All I know is when I activated the replacement HR20, the CSR insinuated that since I opted to not have the Protection Plan, I'd be SOL if the unit failed after 30 days.

They lease you something that does not work they have to replace it. With the Protection Plan under the lease you won't have to pay shipping, without it would be $19.95. With the plan you they also take care of remotes, Dish, & all cables.

actually, that nice letter i received after i got my hr20 said, if i didn't want to turn it in, if i deactivated my account, it would cost another $400 (which has gone up a tad after march 1). that's $699 to own it outright!!

thats the first time I have seen an actual price, its sad I just wanted to give my money to someone a couple months ago and couldnt find any takers, so now I just lease!

I was an avid tivo fan while I had the r10 and hr10. Moving to the hr20 was tough, and took some time to get used to, but the bugs seem to be worked out now, and the thing is pretty damn cool. Tivo had a few features that I had moderate withdrawal from, but I have a feeling that if I had to change back, id miss some of the hr20's features even more. That being said, im glad i upgraded, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Try comparing the lease to your cable company. If I wanted to get an HD DVR from Cox in Tucson, it's $18.00/month. If you get the HR20, you are commiting yourself to two years' service. $299 divided by 24 months=$12.46/month. The math works out in D*'s favor if you lived here...

Everybody leases now. Don't sweat it. I have 3 HR20's and love them now. No more lockups! In fact I'm trying to get rid of my HR10. I just had Dish for 1.5 years all HD DVR and just shipped 2 VIP622's back today. D* is cheaper and better. Get with retention department, threaten to switch and get a better deal than $300 each. Enjoy.

I have the HR10 and really like it. I don't have any hd locals in my area yet, is there any reason to upgrad to the HR20 yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)