HR20 and OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slump Buster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I know that this has been discussed elsewhere and I apologize for starting this thread but I am thoroughly confused about the HR20 and locals.

I called retention the other day and asked for a high def dvr and they said they'd be sending out the h10-250 to me. Low and behold, the installed showed up today with the HR20, which I thought was odd because I'm in buffalo and we haven't had the HD locals rolled out to us yet and probably won't for 6 months.

I've read conflicting reports on the web about OTA HD locals. Is it possible? The "antenna" option in setup is greyed out (my antenna is connected to the box).

Once again, I apologize for the new thread.

the Hr20, has been disabled, for the time being, no one can say for 100% sure why. earl has been saying a software update is coming in october to enable them. You are right though that is weird that you got one without HD Locals.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the installers had never seen one before. It didn't help when the first one they tried was defective. It's frozen on me a couple of times but overall I think it is pretty slick! I may be hooking up my H10 to get locals when football season rolls around, however.

I will have about a week without HD locals, as my AT9 is getting installed the 11th, and my DVr should be here today or tommorow! but the timing sucks cause my OSU Buckeyes play texas next saturday :( no Hd buckeyes that week.

Slump Buster said:
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the installers had never seen one before. It didn't help when the first one they tried was defective. It's frozen on me a couple of times but overall I think it is pretty slick! I may be hooking up my H10 to get locals when football season rolls around, however.

It wasn't broke, they have to force a sofware update.

grydlok said:
It wasn't broke, they have to force a sofware update.

No, it really was broke. I'm aware of the software update (actually, I'm the one that informed the installer of the update as they had never even seen an HR20 before). It came up with a blue screen and never came close to booting. No messages or anything.

Slump Buster said:
No, it really was broke. I'm aware of the software update (actually, I'm the one that informed the installer of the update as they had never even seen an HR20 before). It came up with a blue screen and never came close to booting. No messages or anything.

trust me there is another step they had to do.

Not that it matters, but.... yes, I was well aware of that page and we even tried that. Trust me, the snd HR20 looked much different than the first one out of the box.

Ota

OK everyone should get a laugh out of this one. I received my HR20 the other day. When I called retention to activate it, I asked about the OTA not working. He said this this was a new product he did not have much info and he would need to talk to a supervisor. He came back on and said that he had talked to his supervisor, and there is not a known issue with the OTA. He went on to say that the supervisor has a HR20 and his OTA works. I was told I needed to buy a OTA that is mpg 4 compatible. I had to laugh, I explained to him what I had read on the Forum and others about this subject. He said if I would like to talk to the supervisor I could. That conversation did not go very well. He insisted that there is no problem and basically told me that I was stupid for reading these forums. I knew at this point this conversation was only going to go down hill. My last question to him was why is D****** putting a sticker on their box stating that the OTA would be available later in 2006. He became very rude and stated that he does not what to continue this conversation. I was transferred back to the original CSR, I was offered 4 months HD and 6 months HBO for free. All I wanted to know is when the OTA would be working

Slump Buster said:
I called retention the other day and asked for a high def dvr and they said they'd be sending out the h10-250 to me. Low and behold, the installed showed up today with the HR20, which I thought was odd because I'm in buffalo and we haven't had the HD locals rolled out to us yet and probably won't for 6 months.
YIKES! :eek: I'm supposed to get an HR10-250 installed this weekend and I'm in Buffalo too. This was my fear - that they would bring an HR20 and not the HR10. If they do, I'm going to refuse it because it will be useless to me as far as recording our locals in HD.

Who did your installation?

Trouble in the Heartland Too

Found this board researching the HR20 and the issue I have with OTA. I made the jump last Friday by purchasing a unit at our local Best Buy. Of course they insured me it would be a snap to install and i shouldnt encounter any issues...whoa were they wrong. They didnt inform me that the OTA wasnt enabled. I talked with 2 people at D-TV, both of which could find no reason for the OTA to be disabled. It wasnt until I spoke with someone in their HD Tech Support team, who FINALLY checked with an engineer that confirmed the issue.

Unfortunately, I they couldnt give a firm timeframe for when it will be enabled. Until then, Im SOL on pulling in Hi_Def OTA broadcasts. Other than that, I love the unit, although the interface is pretty clunky compared to my non-HD tivo unit.

Lets cross our fingers the software update will come sooner vs later...

Count me as one of those expecting the HR10-250 only to see the installers show up with the HR20. They obviously didn't know about the OTA issue with the receiver either as they tried for a long time to get it to work. They left the house when I was gone so I assumed it was working but soon discovered it was not! I called D* and no one there knew of any issue with the HR20 and OTA antenna's! I just checked the box and see the same sticker noting "late 2006" when it is supposed to work. What a joke...

hdtvtechno said:
OTA tuner will be activated around October 1st....

any official word on this? Is this still the time frame? that is the show-stopper for me considering the reporting of how bad the locals are in boston

Captain Spaulding said:
I'm just curious to know why the OTA tuners were not enabled? I'm assuming there were technical reasons, but what were they?

<conjecture>The following is nothing official, or even proven, but the H20 had an issue with OTA whereby PSIP data would cause the reboots, since the HR20 is likely just a H20 in that regard (OTA circuitry/firmware), they probably preferred to leave it disabled until a proper firmware fix could be rolled out.</conjecture>

And let's be honest here, if they HAD released it enabled, and it rebooted like the H20, everyone would be posting "Why did they release it with OTA if it doesn't work!", or if they had waited to release the HR20 until the OTA was fixed, everyone would be posting (more of) "They lied to us about the date the HR20 would be released", so they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)