HR20 Audio Drops Out and Image Pixelization on HD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DanBobTerror

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Ok, I've researched a number of threads on the subject and I have enough information to definitely call this a problem. It is clear to me that either some people are not affected or haven't noticed. This does not mean it isn't a problem. It is DEFINITELY occurring. I am using an HR20-700 receiver. My cables are fine, my dish is pointed accurately, and I don't have a multi-switch. Thus, the problem is either with the HR20, or D* HD as a whole. Since some customers haven't reported it, I have to assume it is the HR20 as I can't beleive people would not have noticed.

A seperate but possibly related problem is using the optical audio out on the receiver. If I use the optical audio out, the sound cuts out all the time and renders shows unwatchable. This should not be confused with the first problem (and it is confused sometimes). I am using plain old RCA audio outs for now. I assume that the optical audio out problem is more common and is definitely a problem with the design of the receiver.

To recap, using the HR20, some or all HD channels, image has pixels and audio drops out concurrently. Have to say this is a PROBLEM and not unique to me. Are you listening Directv???

-Rob:mad:

Frustrated

I completely feel your frustration and want to chuck this box through the window.

I can't stand this anymore and talking to D* tech support is useless.

If you both self installed the antenna I could understand. Not knowing all the details the newer dishes require more specialized sat meters.

If you both self installed the antenna I could understand. Not knowing all the details the newer dishes require more specialized sat meters.

I used a Sat meter. It is fine. The problem is NOT with dish aiming. The purpose of this post was to specifically dispell people chiming in with that type of comment that only serves to water-down the issue and create doubt. This is not a dish aiming issue.

-Rob

I can say that this happens to me all the time it very annoying while watching games. The only thing that fixes it is a hard reset on the box. My sat dish was professionally installed i have been having this problem since i got my hd box the begining of football season last year. I am going to upgrade to hr-20 and new dish in 2 weeks.

HR20 Audio Drop Out and Image Pixellization on HD Channels

Ok, I've researched a number of threads on the subject and I have enough information to definitely call this a problem. It is clear to me that either some people are not affected or haven't noticed. This does not mean it isn't a problem. It is DEFINITELY occurring. I am using an HR20-700 receiver. My cables are fine, my dish is pointed accurately, and I don't have a multi-switch. Thus, the problem is either with the HR20, or D* HD as a whole. Since some customers haven't reported it, I have to assume it is the HR20 as I can't beleive people would not have noticed.

A seperate but possibly related problem is using the optical audio out on the receiver. If I use the optical audio out, the sound cuts out all the time and renders shows unwatchable. This should not be confused with the first problem (and it is confused sometimes). I am using plain old RCA audio outs for now. I assume that the optical audio out problem is more common and is definitely a problem with the design of the receiver.

To recap, using the HR20, some or all HD channels, image has pixels and audio drops out concurrently. Have to say this is a PROBLEM and not unique to me. Are you listening Directv???

-Rob:mad:

I can sympathize with your problems. It must be very frustrating, but not all of us have your problems. My HR20-700 hasn't evidenced any image pixellation problems or audio dropout problems. It's connected via an HDMI cable to the TV and RCA cables to my stereo.

It's not a universal problem among all HR20-700 customers but, when it's YOUR problem, it can be maddening.

Just wanted to chime in and say I have the same problem. It has just started in the past 3 or 4 weeks. It is on all the 70's. Some days are worse than others. My dish was professionally installed and perfect as far as I know. Can someone tell me what the transponder or satellite signal meter is for the HD channels? I just want to make sure the signal is in the 90's (which most are...upper 90's). I am using the HDMI connection. I have not called customer service yet because I have seen the frustration that leads to and it doesn't appear to be any help.

Does a problem need to be universal to be response worthy? What if I don't wan to hear about local channels problems. I shouldn't have to read them (oh wait, I don't). That really sounds like the a la carte argument I have been reading related to the Big 10 Network. I don't mean to be confrontational (if it sounded that way), I just wanted to support the original poster.

Using the optical audio out I noticed local and other HD channels having the audio drop out every 15 or 20 seconds for a split second....Did not notice it until today but it was obvious today. No trees, professional install, brand new HR20-700, HDMI to the tv and optical to the yamaha receiver.

I had a simular problem with my HR20-100 receiver which was brand new and installed Aug 1 The problem was in the 70's hd channels. Jittery picture and the sound dropping and clicking. The local HD channels were fine. I ran new cables to that box, removed the splitter, ran direct cables from the dish, had the dish checked and fine tuned. After all that, D* sent me a replacement unit, Reconditioned HR20-700 and that cured it. I was using HDMI and not the opical out. We did switch using component out to make sure it wasn't cabling to the TV. I was told by the D* technican that there is a bad batch of 100's out. I don't know if my problem which was simular could be related to the 700 series box...... When I was having the problem, after I did all the switching around, I called tech support and I was getting low numbers and normal numbers on some of the satellite transponders. They thought the dish needed to be re-adjusted and after that was done, the tech took the time to look at the receiver and saw the low intermittant transponder readings and determined the problem had to be with the receiver. I would never have guessed a brand new receiver not re-con would have been the problem. My other HR20-100 and 700's work fine with the optical out with no drop out. Hope this helps. Jim

I called D* about this problem, which includes loud popping and cracking along with the dropouts. My problem is audio only. The picture is fine i.e. no pixelation. The tech acted as if he had never heard of such a problem. I never had this issue with either of my -100's, but just had to replace one of them for a different issue. I got a -700 refurb yesterday, and the fun started. The HD suite of channels (70-96) are basically unwatchable because of the dropouts and loud popping & cracking noises.

So they are sending a tech out today to look at it. I asked the guy on the phone what he thought that guy was going to be able to do, and he said "probably just replace the receiver".
lol.gif
I asked him to make sure the tech brought a replacement with him as ST was starting Sunday, and I would like to be able watch the games I paid for in HD. He gave me the standard "I will put it in the notes". I pushed him nicely at least 3X to tell me the tech would have a receiver with him. I guess that probably means the chances of that actually happening are about 0%.
lol.gif

This is not a dish aiming problem. I have two receivers on the same dish, and both have the same 90+ signal strengths. There is no multiswitch, so forget that one. The -100 in the other room is perfect. The -100 that was in place before I got the -700 refurb never had the problem either. This is peculiar to my "new" -700 refurb.

Solution found!

Well, that tech visit I mentioned in the post above this worked out a lot better than I thought it would. The Tech that showed up was the same guy that put in the original box that was replaced with the -700 popping/cracking unit. He was outstanding during his original visit and checked some things out for me that weren't on his work order, so I slipped him a Jackson on that visit.

This time he came in, listened to the problem, checked a few connections, and then said: "I know how to fix this". He then went out to his van, and came back in with a brand new -100.
lol.gif
I thought for sure this visit would just result in me having to wait for another refurb replacement to be mailed to me, but I was pleasantly surprised. Needless to say I am a happy camper.

Oh yeah, the audio problems are gone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)