HR20 drive going

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimLill

Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
I know this is an old thread..... but my HR20 internal HD just starting to balk. Is it as simple as open box, swap HD, and power up? If so, what is the limit for HD size?

Why not save yourself the trouble and just connect an eSata external drive? I've got a 2TB drive connected to my HR20-700 (and a 2TB drive connected to my HR24), and it has been humming along just fine. Moreover, it's much easier and provides me a LOT of additional storage.

I know that's the quick way, but I'd like to avoid more watts and space being used if possible. Thanks for the reply

More watts being used? The external drive doesn't add to your wattage usage--it runs on such little power; and in terms of additional space, one of my drives rests on top of the HR20.

Oh... I forgot the obvious.... the noise from the failing HD will remain annoying unless I remove it.

I swapped mine as the 20 is my RV box. An eSATA would be another item to load. HR20's also have OTA tuners which makes them ideal for tailgating and camping. OTA locals have a much better picture than DirecTV ones too. Even better for sports. I think because the signal is not compressed.

I added an external 2TB esata to my HR20-700 when the internal drive started failing and it has worked flawlessly.

I know this is an old thread..... but my HR20 internal HD just starting to balk. Is it as simple as open box, swap HD, and power up? If so, what is the limit for HD size?

There's pictures out there on how to do this. You need the security torx bit to open the box & remove a couple screws inside, need to remove the front bezel without breaking the tabs off or the ribbon cable...it's not that difficult if you are patient.
I have a 1TB drive in mine & it works just fine. You wouldnt want to return it to DTV after you break the seal though.

Now if someone would post detailed instructions to swap an HR24 drive. I've read a little, sounds like a bear.

No harder than any other box, just opening the case is tougher.

I use a small flat screwdriver to gently pry the case sides from the bottom, there are two latches on each side. Use something to wedge between the case top/side and the receiver bottom/side. I usually use a couple index cards folded to about 2"x2".

Once you have the 4 pins blocked off, there is a release on the bottom of the receiver, maybe two if I remember right, that you pop with the screwdriver, they are toward the front of the case. Then the top lifts directly off, no angle, straight up.

Once in, it is pretty simple, 4 screws hold the black hard drive holder, disconnect any cables around the area - power, sata, fan, etc.

I have an HR24 that is running an internal 2TB drive, it was about a half-hour job being patient and careful and figuring out the casing.

BTW the HR34 is even tougher and when I talked to someone that had opened it, along with the risk of it being a newer box (and potentially less reliable), I decided not to open an HR34.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)