HR20 Dual Tuner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

btmccain

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Arab, AL
I wonder if I am missing something. My old HR10-250 would let you swap between tuners which was especially handy when there are two football games on you want to watch. You can pause, rewind, etc. when switching back and forth. The only way I see you can do it on the new HR20 is buy recording on both tuners. Does anyone know if I am just not doing something right. If I am right, I wonder if there will be an update to come out to make that more like the HR10-250. Other than that I am loving my new receiver!

The HR20 doesn't have the dual live buffers like the 10-250 so you can't flip back and forth. I don't think its a software issue but hardware. As a former 10-250 owner, it would be great if you posted your views on the HR20.---Ray

I just got the HR20 this weekend. Also, it will not allow you to stop watching a recorded program and return to the same place. You have to FF back to where you stopped.

Missing buffers a drag.

Those missing dual buffers is the main reason my wife won't let go of her DTV w/Tivo receiver (SD, not the 10-250). And that thing about having to FF to get to where you stopped watching a recorded show, idiotic. Otherwise, I like the HR-20 and don't even mind the non-Tivo interface. It's just the fits and starts that are annoying. Meantime, I only have one feed into the HR-20, because I graciously let my wife have the other two feeds for her beloved Tivo. DTV is sending a tech out Thursday to add the Multiswitch and fourth line to the living room.

Jeff T said:
I just got the HR20 this weekend. Also, it will not allow you to stop watching a recorded program and return to the same place. You have to FF back to where you stopped.

I just got the HR20 this weekend also and noticed you can get it to resume where you left off but but the only way i got it to work was by clicking guide and changing the station to whatever i wanted and when i went back, it resumed. I'm still learning this interface, but right off the bat, there is a huge learning curve for the Tivo users. The clicking REC button in the guide is nice but i used the TIVO style guide where you chose the station and then you could choose the show on the right side type of guide and now there is nothing like that other then hitting the green button to cycle 12 hours. This interface needs to be overhauled from first impression.

raymo721 said:
The HR20 doesn't have the dual live buffers like the 10-250 so you can't flip back and forth. I don't think its a software issue but hardware. As a former 10-250 owner, it would be great if you posted your views on the HR20.---Ray

Why do you think it is "hardware"

What is the difference between recording two items to a saved file (aka dual recording)... or recording two items to a file that doesn't "end".. just the starting point ends...

I mean it is a software thing that either:
a) Allocates the space for the single record
or
b) "closes" the file on the standard record file

Where do you see it being a hardware issue?

You can bookmark where you were in a program by pausing then pressing the green key. To get to your bookmark, hold down rewind or fast forward and it will get you there. Overall I enjoy my new DVR. My wife doesn't like learning this new one after having the HR10-250 for so long. After the OTA tuner is turned on I will be much happier. I was given a free upgrade and tons of free stuff and discounts, so I cannot complain. The guide is lightning fast compared to the Tivo unit.

My HR20 is on its way but I assumed it works like the R15. There if you hit Stop while watching a recorded show, it will return to the List. Then when you start the show again it resumes where it left off. The HR20 doesn't work the same way?

dcwebman said:
My HR20 is on its way but I assumed it works like the R15. There if you hit Stop while watching a recorded show, it will return to the List. Then when you start the show again it resumes where it left off. The HR20 doesn't work the same way?

Yes it does

ebonovic said:
Why do you think it is "hardware"

What is the difference between recording two items to a saved file (aka dual recording)... or recording two items to a file that doesn't "end".. just the starting point ends...

I mean it is a software thing that either:
a) Allocates the space for the single record
or
b) "closes" the file on the standard record file

Where do you see it being a hardware issue?
Sorry ebonovic, I said I "think" meaning that was how I thought the unit was "built". I'm just an old man that don't know much about these here elektronic devices cept what I lurn here. LOL. I'm not that much into what you know or what you were explaining. I do know you are one of the best. ( I am not worthy, I am not worthy) and I thank you for your contributions here, but I did answer the man's question, sort of, right?---Ray

Last edited:
That is not what I was saying....... (not the intent of my post).

I really was curious to why you thought it was a hardware issue... you are not the only one that raised the same question

My background is in Software... I do worth with hardware, but I dont' design it... just assembly. So I look at things through a different set of glasses sometimes...

I actually did think that they designed and built it that way and there was no work around the issue. If its not and there can be a software update, great! I wonder if lack of a dual live buffer, which is uniqe to Tivo, is a patent concern to D*. I'm not familar with E*s DVR's. Do they have dual live buffers? If not, then maybe I'm right. If they do, and Tivo was fine with it then D* should have made their's with it also. This is a popular feature that might loose them some converts to the HR20. Keep looking through those glasses. Your insight is greatly appriciated.--Ray

flipper2001 said:
it didnt with 00cx but the update from yday seems to have fixed it.

It was there in 0xCC (exiting playback and remember your place) for previously recorded programs... I just don't think it was working with Live broadcasts....

Error 771 also

Just got my hr20 monday. Monday night getting 771 error code. Rebooted, went away. Came back again. Called directv on Tuesday cuz it happened again, they had a tech come out and jiggle some wires and stuff. Happened again that night. Rebooted 3 times, lost some recordings. Called again this morning, techie did some more of the same tests and made an appointment to come out again on Saturday. He suspects a bad tuner or something like that. He is sending out a replacement unit just in case it still gets error codes. I am beginning to like my old tivo but I want the hd channels with Seattle locals. BTW, for my inconvienience the tech man is giving me 4 free months of hd service. Makes it a little more bareable. Thanks for those who have posted to this, I hope mine will also help. I'll let you know how things go soon. Dan:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts