HR20 Ethernet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wesro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Eufaula, Alabama
Just wanted to ask a quick question. I have a HR20-100, is the ethernet pass through port active on the HR20 models?

Thanks

Thanks, kinda odd that it isn't active. I tried to hook my SlingCatcher to it and could never get it to work. At least I know now. Thanks.

No, in fact the -100 is the only HR20 with the port installed. It is only active on HR21 and newer models.

Bob, I too have a HR20-100s and have cat5e connected to the LAN 1 which give my DVR internet and network access in my bedroom. I then have a 1' jumper cat5e from LAN 2 of my HD DVR feeding my Samsung Bluray player as a "pass through". I have never been able to get online with my Samsung player. This explains a lot what you had said.

In the living room I have a HR21 which the above connection works fine.

Just to clarify, the HR20-100 doesn't "pass through" access to the 2nd LAN? Why even have it the second LAN then? I spend an hour trying to get the Samsung to connect this way.

It's a manufacturing thing. The HR20-100 was manufactured based on what was to become the HR21. Thus two ports but not the chip support.

Well, my room has only 1 cat5e jack in it and I'm not about to run a second. I also want both my HD DVR and Bluray player connected to the internet. What is the best way to get DirecTV to do a "swap" on my HR20 for a HR21? Tell them it's dead or be honest and tell them I want a HR21 for the "pass through"? If I tell them it's dead, I can't be sure I would even get a HR21 right?

I know though when my living room receiver died this summer they did send me HR21 though to replace my HR20-700.

Any thoughts?

For about $20 you can get a 4 or 5 port ethernet switch to connect to the line you have in that room. This will give you the extra ports you need.

I'm gonna call just to see what they say. I know the wife would like a black HD DVR better anyways to go with our other equipment in the room anyways. If they say no, I guess I have no choice but to get a switch.

I would just get an ethernet switch for that purpose. When I ran out of ports on my router I bought a 5-port Linksys EZXS55W for ~$20, which is about what Directv would charge for shipping a replacement DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)